Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Release dates"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "Release dates" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Release dates" - 4/22/2008 2:43:16 PM   
m10bob

When Matrixgames was still in its' infancy, it erred in giving release dates well in advance, but they also provided an open forum for the players, and every time a good idea was mentioned, Matrixgames tried to work it into the product which was going to be released. Unfortunately, every time they did this the release date was being shoved back.
The players themselves were causing this, (even though the end product was still going to be an improvement over the original item.)
We old timers saw this on the SPWAW forums several times, and we (players) finally admitted to our being involved in the continual delay in the release of Campaign CD's, patches, etc.
While all of us clamour for AE, (and a few even drool at the thought), we will do well to remember that with every good idea we propose, we might in turn be delaying that which we desire, (game-wise)..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/22/2008 2:51:19 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: "Release dates" - 4/23/2008 12:44:57 AM   
langley

Good Point! I suspect this will not stop people asking for the release date of AE. Like a number of us I am one of the people who drools over this site most nights in hope of finding more information on AE.
(1) At which point will AE not be open to new ideas?
(2) Have we got to this stage yet?
(3) Will new ideas be introduced into patches for AE.

Many thanks for your Time.

MJT

"My God, I hope you don't blame me for this. I had no idea where you were."
Air Vice-marshal Pulford upon the loss of "Force Z"

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: "Release dates" - 4/23/2008 2:53:54 AM   
jwilkerson

I don't know that there will ever be a point at which the AE team are not open to ideas.

As to the initial release, we're pretty much locked down already, if we find an issue in testing, we fix it, even if this means design issue. But we're already developing the list for the first couple of patches.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to langley)
Post #: 3
RE: "Release dates" - 4/23/2008 3:02:55 AM   
Mike Solli

Care to share any of them?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: "Release dates" - 4/24/2008 8:38:16 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Care to share any of them?

That might be a first - releasing the bug list BEFORE the game!

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 5
RE: "Release dates" - 4/24/2008 12:34:03 PM   
m10bob

Well Joe....if we were allowed to pre-order, it would 1.Give Matrixgames a general idea of the interest, 2. Provide a financial adjustment to the corporate coffers for this (and perhaps future endeavours), and 3. Give the players a better idea of how long we will be waiting.
(On this last, I was one of those kids who stayed awake most of Christmas Eve waiting for the crunching of snow on the rooftop, and was up like a shot at 0400 for the toys!)

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: "Release dates" - 4/24/2008 1:20:17 PM   
Terminus

You forgot 4) Will lead to unsurpassed whining if we don't deliver when the pre-ordering people think we should...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: "Release dates" - 4/24/2008 2:02:44 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You forgot 4) Will lead to unsurpassed whining if we don't deliver when the pre-ordering people think we should...

(Are we there yet?)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/24/2008 2:03:48 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: "Release dates" - 4/24/2008 2:24:57 PM   
Terminus

Don't make me turn this car around, young man!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: "Release dates" - 4/25/2008 8:04:25 PM   
Grotius

Has Matrix ever considered allowing people to pay to play the beta? Stardock does that with its "Galactic Civilizations" games. You "preorder" (at pretty much full price), which gives you a right to download and play the beta, and you're encouraged (though not required) to file bug reports. In this way, Stardock gets a massive influx of testers plus early revenue, and GalCiv fanatics get to play the game early -- and understand that they're playing a beta, not a final release, so they complain less about bugs. I paid for the beta of the most recent expansion to GalCiv2. When the game is released, the paying testers upgrade to the release version for no charge.

The downside of this business model is that the testers don't sign an NDA, but so much of AE seems public anyway, I don't know whether this is a big concern.

It may be too late in the process for this game, but I'd encourage Matrix to think about it for other games. You get money earlier; we get the games earlier.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: "Release dates" - 4/27/2008 10:12:39 PM   
Tophat1815

So is everything still on for an Origins release?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 11
RE: "Release dates" - 4/27/2008 11:19:24 PM   
Terminus

Err, fairly certain that nobody's ever mentioned or promised an Origins release. Matrix NEVER releases release dates in advance, you KNOW this.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 4/27/2008 11:20:11 PM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 12
RE: "Release dates" - 4/27/2008 11:30:01 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Has Matrix ever considered allowing people to pay to play the beta? Stardock does that with its "Galactic Civilizations" games. You "preorder" (at pretty much full price), which gives you a right to download and play the beta, and you're encouraged (though not required) to file bug reports. In this way, Stardock gets a massive influx of testers plus early revenue, and GalCiv fanatics get to play the game early -- and understand that they're playing a beta, not a final release, so they complain less about bugs. I paid for the beta of the most recent expansion to GalCiv2. When the game is released, the paying testers upgrade to the release version for no charge.

The downside of this business model is that the testers don't sign an NDA, but so much of AE seems public anyway, I don't know whether this is a big concern.

It may be too late in the process for this game, but I'd encourage Matrix to think about it for other games. You get money earlier; we get the games earlier.

That sort of works against the whole concept of beta testing. Bad idea.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 13
RE: "Release dates" - 4/27/2008 11:32:34 PM   
Tophat1815

No,no,no,no,no...............some Grand-poooh-Ba,did make mention of Origins. I then stuck it away in my things to remember and reasons to go to Origins file. Its under 2 months away,so we'll just let time tell then.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 12:36:07 AM   
Terminus

Well, WitP was released at Origins back in '04, wasn't it? AE won't come out until we're done with it, and nobody has said anything about it coming out at Origins '08.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 4/28/2008 12:48:41 AM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 15
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 4:05:20 AM   
jwilkerson

Speculating about release dates is not something we on the AE team can do. Release dates are determined by Matrix.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 5:27:36 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Speculating about release dates is not something we on the AE team can do. Release dates are determined by Matrix.

Not a problem,I'm not speculating,just clarifying what was brought up Dec/Jan as I recall it. Seems Terminus don't think it means what I think it means so I'll wait until Origins and see if I'm pleasantly surprised.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 17
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 5:39:54 AM   
treespider

We can always say we are one day closer to release...tomorrow we will be one day closer to release.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 18
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 5:42:54 AM   
vettim89

quote:

Err, fairly certain that nobody's ever mentioned or promised an Origins release. Matrix NEVER releases release dates in advance, you KNOW this.

I for one prefer it this way. Having gone through some delays in releases for other games (some of them quite long I might add), I would rather have the hard release date when that time is determined. The problem with projected release dates is that they are just that - Projected

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 19
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 6:49:06 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

We can always say we are one day closer to release...tomorrow we will be one day closer to release.

and shorter of breath...

I'm pretty sure that no one officially quoted an Origins release, but the speculation among all the old timers here ran in that direction. That's probably what you recall, tophat.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 20
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 2:46:10 PM   
Grognerd_INC

I was just thinking how time consuming it must be to test play the new bigger map and such. tweaking code and the AI and then wanting to see what happens several months into a scenario seems like it would really be a slow process.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 21
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 3:11:54 PM   
Terminus

Got that right...

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 22
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 8:11:23 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

and shorter of breath...

I'm pretty sure that no one officially quoted an Origins release, but the speculation among all the old timers here ran in that direction. That's probably what you recall, tophat.

I'm fairly certain thats probably what it was now after scouring the boards. Only thing I did find was a Terminus reference to summer 08' for release,but that also wasn't definitive. So seems I misremembered after all,sorry about that terminus.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 23
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 8:29:27 PM   
admgrraven

With all the honey do's coming up this spring and summer I'm hoping for a fall release!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 24
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 9:08:27 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

and shorter of breath...

I'm fairly certain thats probably what it was now after scouring the boards. Only thing I did find was a Terminus reference to summer 08' for release,but that also wasn't definitive. So seems I misremembered after all,sorry about that terminus.

Don't apologize... Just setting the record straight, so we don't get any rumours going...

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 25
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 9:36:24 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Don't apologize... Just setting the record straight, so we don't get any rumours going...

Do you mean like a July 4th release followed a by a beer and roast Termi BBQ?

Flipper

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 26
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 9:42:57 PM   
Terminus

Well, I wasn't quite fast enough to keep you from starting that rumour, was I, flip?

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 27
RE: "Release dates" - 4/28/2008 10:24:10 PM   
wworld7

Oops...

Flipper

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 28
RE: "Release dates" - 4/29/2008 2:19:58 AM   
seydlitz_slith

I would also speculate on an Origins release. After all, WITP was an Origins release, so AE would also celebrate the anniversary of WITP, and Origins is historically the event where board wargames are released in the US.  

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 29
RE: "Release dates" - 4/29/2008 2:32:19 AM   
treespider

Only 144 days ..... since Erik announced AE. Tomorrow will be 145 days. My guess is it will be somewhere less than 3,650 days.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to seydlitz_slith)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "Release dates" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI