Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

World In Flames? help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> World In Flames? help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World In Flames? help - 4/16/2008 6:27:35 AM   
wargamer123

I assume this is nothing like the 90s hex based WW2 Wargames?

Much more indepth and complicated? Just how complicated will this game be? I have never played the board game? Will it require 1 hour or 2 hours to complete a turn... Will it require a year to learn? Please keep me some more indepth ideas on it.
Post #: 1
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/16/2008 4:14:18 PM   
composer99

A typical turn is broken down into impulses, with each side taking it in turns to move their units, launch combats, and whatnot.

An impulse can take anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour depending on the weather, where you are at in the game (later turns take longer because there are more pieces), what is going on that turn (big invasions like the Japanese "blitzkrieg" or the invasion of France can take a while), and how fast you play.

Learning the game well enough to play through a scenario (or even the full 39-45 war) probably takes about 20 or so hours of gameplay. Learning it well enough to understand its nuances and to have mastery over the rules can take a good deal longer.

I do not think it is a terribly complicated game, and indeed the optional rules you play or don't play with can drastically affect its complexity.

~ Composer99

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 2
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/16/2008 4:59:33 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

It is exactly like the 90s hex based WW2 game published by Australian Design Group.

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 3
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/19/2008 5:20:35 PM   
Mr. Yuck

Wargamer123-read the stickied kink to the tutorials if you want to know more.

It has been many years since i lived anywhere with enough space to set the old paper game up and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get into this when it comes out. The tutorials brought it all back to me very quickly.

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 4
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/19/2008 8:16:24 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Yuck

Wargamer123-read the stickied kink to the tutorials if you want to know more.

It has been many years since i lived anywhere with enough space to set the old paper game up and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get into this when it comes out. The tutorials brought it all back to me very quickly.

'kink' ??? You must be getting a lot more out of the tutorials than I intended.

At the top of the MWIF forum is a thread that lists LINKS to all the tutorials.

One stray thought I had recently was to prepare a slide show for each tutorial. That would be a Microsoft ppt file for either all of them or 10 separate ones. I don't really have the time to do this myself, but perhaps someone else ...

We could then make it available to everyone for comment in a friendlier format than having to work your way through the tutorial threads.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 5
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/20/2008 1:33:47 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

One stray thought I had recently was to prepare a slide show for each tutorial. That would be a Microsoft ppt file for either all of them or 10 separate ones. I don't really have the time to do this myself, but perhaps someone else ...

We could then make it available to everyone for comment in a friendlier format than having to work your way through the tutorial threads.

Patrice has gone forth and created a PPS file for each of the 10 tutorials. That let's you run through each of them as a slideshow. On Monday I'll ask Erik at Matrix for a mechanism to let interested people download them.

EDIT: I just did a revised count: there are 125 tutorial pages done with only 1 or 2 left to do.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 4/20/2008 2:34:16 AM >

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 6
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/24/2008 1:06:04 AM   
Mr. Yuck

And Eric says...? I'm not sure what a pps file is or if I have the software to run it but something like a closed thread with each of the tutorial pages in sequence would help me sell my friends on this game.

edit: What's "kink"? BTW I actually dreamed about this game after going through the tutorials.

< Message edited by Mr. Yuck -- 4/24/2008 1:08:51 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/24/2008 2:06:29 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

And Eric says...? I'm not sure what a pps file is or if I have the software to run it but something like a closed thread with each of the tutorial pages in sequence would help me sell my friends on this game.

edit: What's "kink"? BTW I actually dreamed about this game after going through the tutorials.

No word yet from Erik on this.
===
PPS, I believe, is a compressed form of PPT. PPT is the format PowerPoint uses for its presentation files. So, if you have PowerPoint (a Microsoft product), you could use the PPS file to run the tutorials as a PowerPoint slideshow.

I use Corel products and they recognized the PPS file format and ran the slideshow as a Corel Presentation file. It did that after converting the PPS to a SHOW file.

This exhausts my knowledge on that subject.
==
'Kink' is the noun form of the adjective 'kinky', which is used to describe sexual activities of an unusual nature.

I have been running a low grade fever the past couple of days, experiencing the common fever dreams that go with a high temperature. But even that did not result in me dreaming of MWIF.

Steve

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 8
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/24/2008 9:38:57 AM   
Froonp

You can also download a PowerPoint Viewer at Microsoft.com, which is free. Then you just have to double click the PPS and you see it.

Post #: 9
bumpety-bump - 5/27/2008 11:59:11 AM   
Mr. Yuck

Good Morning!

So...not to be a pest and it's really nothing anyone is obligated to share-but what is the marketing scheme here? Are we going to see this in stores, online orders only? Anyone know how many copies of the boardgame sold? What number of games sold equals success for this project and how are those of us that really want this to succeed going to help get it there?

I ask because I want DOD and all the addons that will spring directly and perfectly coded from Steve's forehead should this game sell well. I ask because I think that if more people played a game like this they wouldn't be such easy prey for politicians who claim to understand international relations. I ask because this ilk of games has made me into one of those ivory tower intellectuals your mother warned you about and I truly want others to suffer as I do when they read the newspaper. I don't know how to say half of what I want to say here without incurring the wrath of some very dedicated folks who have logically and myopically focused on this project for years, but I'm going to try.

In several forums that I read there are threads with titles like "What upcoming release are you waiting for?" Some of those forums ask that you not link directly to other forums so I say what amounts to "I'm waiting for MWiF, just try and read the utterly inscrutable recent posts on the public development forum that I can't give you a link to" and then some wiseacre makes the analogy for EIA being such a great boardgame and not translating well-blah blah blah...and they are usually a senior member of forum x and plenty of younger folk give their posts the 3d10- you know what I mean. You can even see it here in the Matrix OT forum.

A standard thoughtcrime committed by otherwise reasonable people when you mention WiF coming to a PC near them.

I know nothing of the effort involved but if Matrix could get the tutorial pages linked and running in such a way that one could post a link to them without linking directly to the Matrix forums, I think that that link would sell games. Then everyone here starts using that link and we mount the great grassroots-strategy-gamers-reject-rts-and-consoles-forever rebellion of 2009. There's a catchy acronym in there somewhere, I'm sure. You come up with it and I cede all rights.

Whether I understood them or not, I have finally read every post in this forum, and I am convinced that this is one of the games I will play long after my ability to form new memories is gone. It runs in my family and I just want to stuff something besides interwar french novels in my head to obsess about before I forget your names forever.

I have nothing to add to the capabilities of the current crew as they debate the Belgian border or Nipponese-Soviet border wars run amuk; but I will be a frothing MWiFisan fanboy if you give me some nice flashy ammo. If I post a link to 125 tutorial pages it will kill a thread for the day, the next day will be a bunch of "Wow" posts, the second day will be "Matrix is Lord" Day, and then you're fending off preorders and worrying about bandwith and having enough Fedex envelopes. Or something like that.

IMO six months to go is late to start promoting anything that has taken this amount of effort and running a demo at a convention is only going to attract more of the people who already play the boardgame. EIA comparisons and the audience old enough to make them aside, what about the young'uns that were born long after the golden age of boardgaming? The teens and college students have the time and they will save the money if they start finding out what this is about now. This project is so totally old school that it has a wonderful chance of feeling utterly original to the uninitiated.

Am I beyond Pluto in my thinking here?

PS: I just saw the "stickied kink" typo in my April 19th post on this thread. 'K' & 'L' are adjacent letters and someone could have just told me when I asked. Having "kink" defined to me made me feel somewhat small and unclean. I almost never came back.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 10
RE: bumpety-bump - 5/27/2008 12:28:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Good Morning!

So...not to be a pest and it's really nothing anyone is obligated to share-but what is the marketing scheme here? Are we going to see this in stores, online orders only? Anyone know how many copies of the boardgame sold? What number of games sold equals success for this project and how are those of us that really want this to succeed going to help get it there?

I ask because I want DOD and all the addons that will spring directly and perfectly coded from Steve's forehead should this game sell well. I ask because I think that if more people played a game like this they wouldn't be such easy prey for politicians who claim to understand international relations. I ask because this ilk of games has made me into one of those ivory tower intellectuals your mother warned you about and I truly want others to suffer as I do when they read the newspaper. I don't know how to say half of what I want to say here without incurring the wrath of some very dedicated folks who have logically and myopically focused on this project for years, but I'm going to try.

In several forums that I read there are threads with titles like "What upcoming release are you waiting for?" Some of those forums ask that you not link directly to other forums so I say what amounts to "I'm waiting for MWiF, just try and read the utterly inscrutable recent posts on the public development forum that I can't give you a link to" and then some wiseacre makes the analogy for EIA being such a great boardgame and not translating well-blah blah blah...and they are usually a senior member of forum x and plenty of younger folk give their posts the 3d10- you know what I mean. You can even see it here in the Matrix OT forum.

A standard thoughtcrime committed by otherwise reasonable people when you mention WiF coming to a PC near them.

I know nothing of the effort involved but if Matrix could get the tutorial pages linked and running in such a way that one could post a link to them without linking directly to the Matrix forums, I think that that link would sell games. Then everyone here starts using that link and we mount the great grassroots-strategy-gamers-reject-rts-and-consoles-forever rebellion of 2009. There's a catchy acronym in there somewhere, I'm sure. You come up with it and I cede all rights.

Whether I understood them or not, I have finally read every post in this forum, and I am convinced that this is one of the games I will play long after my ability to form new memories is gone. It runs in my family and I just want to stuff something besides interwar french novels in my head to obsess about before I forget your names forever.

I have nothing to add to the capabilities of the current crew as they debate the Belgian border or Nipponese-Soviet border wars run amuk; but I will be a frothing MWiFisan fanboy if you give me some nice flashy ammo. If I post a link to 125 tutorial pages it will kill a thread for the day, the next day will be a bunch of "Wow" posts, the second day will be "Matrix is Lord" Day, and then you're fending off preorders and worrying about bandwith and having enough Fedex envelopes. Or something like that.

IMO six months to go is late to start promoting anything that has taken this amount of effort and running a demo at a convention is only going to attract more of the people who already play the boardgame. EIA comparisons and the audience old enough to make them aside, what about the young'uns that were born long after the golden age of boardgaming? The teens and college students have the time and they will save the money if they start finding out what this is about now. This project is so totally old school that it has a wonderful chance of feeling utterly original to the uninitiated.

Am I beyond Pluto in my thinking here?

PS: I just saw the "stickied kink" typo in my April 19th post on this thread. 'K' & 'L' are adjacent letters and someone could have just told me when I asked. Having "kink" defined to me made me feel somewhat small and unclean. I almost never came back.

Glad to have you back.

I make more posts here that anyone else (I think) which means I make more typos than anyone else. I find that after shaking your head at yourself for a minute or two, you just have to move on. Perhaps I'll figure out a tune to go with the phrase "perfection is an elusive goal" so I can hum it on those occasions. When playing golf I hum, to the tune of swing low sweet chariot: "Swing slow you stupid fool, swing fast you'll hit it baaad, ...". A refrain reinforced by thousands individual personal experiences.
===
I am not worried too much about marketing MWIF. If for no other reason than that I have too much else to do, and my skills in marketing are quite feeble.

Matrix is working on something for Origins that should enable making the tutorials downloadable, but I do not have the authority to discuss it at this time.
===
Last week David Heath (head honcho at Matrix) was telling me, with both enthusiasm and a certain amount of strong persuasion, that we should do short (2-3 minute) videos of people playing the game, with a voice-over describing what is going on and why. He has found these to be very effective for other games. He is targeting the same audience with this sales tool medium - younger players - that you mentioned. Fast and visual, as opposed to a thick booklet of rules, would make MWIF easier to learn for many players who do not like to start a new game by reading 150 pages of rules.
===
Finally, I believe that if the game satisfies my personal requirements - in numerous areas - then all will be well in the world of sales.

Steve

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 11
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/21/2009 4:03:04 PM   
Caquineur

quote:

Patrice has gone forth and created a PPS file for each of the 10 tutorials. That let's you run through each of them as a slideshow. On Monday I'll ask Erik at Matrix for a mechanism to let interested people download them.

Aloha !

First, mahalo to you for the great work you're doing, and merci to Patrice for his wonderful website (and the .PPS files) !

As April the 24th is my wife's birthday , could it be possible to ask again the person at Matrix about the .PPS files' availability ?

Please note that I'm not implying that my WIFE is going to play WIF or WIFFE... even though there is only one letter missing (one way or the other)...

Alain

< Message edited by Caquineur -- 4/21/2009 5:22:05 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/21/2009 6:22:29 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

quote:

could it be possible to ask again the person at Matrix about the .PPS files' availability ?

I still have them, and if Steve allows for that I'll send them to you by email.

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 13
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/21/2009 7:55:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

quote:

could it be possible to ask again the person at Matrix about the .PPS files' availability ?

That's ok by me. Be forewarned that the file is very large.
---
I am still asking every week for a decision about making the Rules as Coded PDF available prior to game release.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 14
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/22/2009 10:53:34 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

quote:

That's ok by me. Be forewarned that the file is very large.

I've uploaded the file here :
http://dl.free.fr/vY47MeOOJ
You need to click the "Télécharger ce fichier" link.
There is a login / password to access the file, this is MWiF / MWiF.

Post #: 15
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/22/2009 11:44:42 AM   
Maesphil74

Excellent link and excellent work!!

un grand merci a vous, Patrice!!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 16
RE: World In Flames? help - 4/22/2009 12:01:23 PM   
Caquineur

Many thanks to you both !

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> World In Flames? help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI