Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Must place all units first (?!?!??!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Must place all units first (?!?!??!) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/12/2008 5:58:37 PM   
Xikar

This game is confusing so far. I have not been able to play. Upon choosing the AI/human settings and playing, and going through the setup phase, the game keeps telling me "must place all units first" and there are no more units to place.

I found out there is a default game setup you can choose where the game sets everything up for you.... but I can't find this in the game. The most i find is the "load game" option, but when you click it, no file names are offered.

The manual sucks, is insufficient, and I can't play the game.... any hints???
Post #: 1
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/12/2008 6:44:18 PM   
Jimmer

In the lower left corner of the playing screen is a collection of buttons. The far right one on the top row is "Load a saved setup file" (or, something like that). That will let you use the default setup(s).

Regarding this problem, the issue is that you most likely have either ships to put into fleets or minor free state factors left to place. Click any land area on the map, and a message will show up in the dialog window telling you exactly what you have left to place (free state factors will be after the "(FS)" characters, and will be added together if you have more than one free state). This dialog window is about an inch above the setup button I mentioned before.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Xikar)
Post #: 2
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/12/2008 7:29:11 PM   
DCWhitworth

Download the tutorial manual from the members downlaod section. It should be a big help in getting you started.

Regards
David

(in reply to Xikar)
Post #: 3
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/13/2008 1:18:39 AM   
Xikar

Okay, I start playing the 1805 grand campaign game.... as france. All other nations are set as AI. I set all of france's units, then hollands (ships, land units, even depots). When I hit the box to continue, I get the "BONK!" sound and the message "must place all units" (or something like that), and the map returns with the paris area highlighted in red. Are there other minor powers I have to place first?

As for the saved default settings, the only button I can find is "load saved game", and when I click on it, I get the file window that shows folders and such but no files are listed. I search through the entire Empire in Arms folder and subfolders and do not find any folders with any files I can load as a saved game.

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 4
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/13/2008 3:13:07 AM   
Jimmer

Have the map is showing. The button is near the bottom left corner of the screen. Top row, fifth button from the left, first from the right. It's white with an arrow.

Load saved game is in the PREgame screen. You only load setups IN game, not pregame.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Xikar)
Post #: 5
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/13/2008 5:01:53 AM   
delatbabel

Are you sure that you have:

1. placed some (you don't need to place all) of your corps, fleets and depots on the map
2. added all of your factors (infantry, cavalry, guards, ships) to those fleets and corps you have placed on the map.

Without 2. the game cannot proceed past the setup phase.

--
Del

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/13/2008 9:22:55 AM   
DCWhitworth

Look at the Tutorial giude, page 9, section 3.2 at the top of the page. This shows how to tell how many factors you have left to set up. If the game says you still have some left, this box will tell you what.

Regards
David

(in reply to Xikar)
Post #: 7
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/13/2008 3:34:00 PM   
Xikar

THANKS guys.... it WAS a case of not having all factors placed. I still had transports I didn't know about. Once I placed the, I successfully made it pass to the next phase.

I REALLY look forward to this game, it shows promise. It's the first grand strategy campaign game for the napoleonic wars I have found for the PC. I am an old veteran of avalon hill's war & peace, which I STILL wish would come out on PC. This game is close enough, though. I play john tiller's waterloo, napoleon in russia and wagram games as well. But I really am happy to have a grand strategy game now.

(in reply to Xikar)
Post #: 8
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/15/2008 4:41:08 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Xikar:

I probably could give a little better message as to what is not placed! This is a common startup issue that maybe I can help out with a little...
Apologies for the vague messaging.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Xikar)
Post #: 9
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/15/2008 4:56:17 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

I REALLY look forward to this game, it shows promise. It's the first grand strategy campaign game for the napoleonic wars I have found for the PC. I am an old veteran of avalon hill's war & peace, which I STILL wish would come out on PC. This game is close enough, though.

My exact sentiments too, as an old W&P player! I am enjoying the additional depth of EiA. And I'm trying to be as patient as possible for things to get fixed and enhanced. I believe with bugs fixed, the scenario editor and other scenarios added, and the AI fine-tuned a bit more, this game will be fantastic.

quote:

Did you used to work for Microsoft by chance? Just kidding! Yeah, more info where appropriate would be nice.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 10
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/15/2008 6:09:20 PM   
Marshall Ellis

pzgndr:

"Did you used to work for Microsoft by chance?"

LMAO!

I deserved that!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 11
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/15/2008 7:28:30 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Xikar:

I probably could give a little better message as to what is not placed! This is a common startup issue that maybe I can help out with a little...

Do you want recommendations?

Post #: 12
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/16/2008 1:12:56 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Jimmer:

That would certainly help. I can tell you that I am working the following:

Banner the type of factors that have not been placed from what nation (MP or Freestate) then zoom to that nation's capital.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 13
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/16/2008 5:26:44 PM   
Jimmer

That's what I was thinking about, too. It already zooms to the nation's capital (or, the FIRST nation's capital, if more than one still have forces to place). This is a good thing.

However, you can't actually place forces from that focus shift, for some reason. You have to click somewhere else in that nation (or, on the map and then back) to place forces. The only exception I've found to this oddity is minor free states which someone declared war on this turn, and which do not have corps. In those, you can click the add factors button immediately. For any nation (minor or major) with corp, you have to do two clicks.

NOTE: You can't even right-click to clear it in these cases, unless you right-click elsewhere on the map.

I haven't reported this yet because it is a very minor interface glitch, and so hasn't been a priority. But, with the game really taking shape now, perhaps it is time.

Post #: 14
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/17/2008 2:19:38 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Jimmer:

I'll take a look...
Appreciate the help!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 15
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/17/2008 7:28:37 PM   
Jimmer

No problem! This is my all-time favorite board game. I want it to work and work well, and I'm willing to bend over backwards to get that to happen.

Post #: 16
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/17/2008 8:32:13 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Jimmer:

You've already been an immense help!
Stick with me and we'll get this thing done! This stuff is addictive.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 17
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/17/2008 11:10:56 PM   
Jimmer

The game is addictive, too. Just ask my wife and the wives, friends, and girlfriends of our original gaming group members: They jokingly referred to the game as "Cardboard Across Europe", for reasons any player of the board version will immediately recognize). So, after a few months of having "nothing" to do on Friday nights, they banded together and formed what they called "The Non-Cardboard Coalition". They played non-wargames during the same time slot where we were destroying empires.

< Message edited by Jimmer -- 4/17/2008 11:11:42 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Must place all units first (?!?!??!) - 4/26/2008 8:03:32 PM   
Xikar

Indeed, i'm loving the game sofar... i never had the pleasure of playing the board game, but I have played many other napoleonic board games like war & peace (too bad there is no PC version of THAT), struggle of nations, waterloo, etc... and a three of john tiller's napoleonic battle games. However, this is my first PC grand strategy napoleonic game- it's about TIME there was one!!!!

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Must place all units first (?!?!??!) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI