Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/9/2008 1:25:04 AM   
mikul82

Just a heads up for the new update from 1.0: http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

The mod that finally made RTW stay on my hard drive, and my favorite game mod of all time.
Post #: 1
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/9/2008 4:33:44 AM   
ravinhood

Try a game of it with morale OFF. If you liked it before you will love it playing it that way. ;) That's the only way I'll play RTW anymore. The AI is still brainless even after all these mods.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 2
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/9/2008 5:10:39 AM   
mikul82

I use a modified Darth formations file for EB (it's in the "unofficial mods" section of their forum, allows the AI to actually maintain formations, flank, use cavalry properly, etc- it's pretty impressive) and like to roleplay the faction I control as well, which can really make the battles more exciting- ie, if playing Rome, use roughly historical armies, and only a high ranking leader can control a full 2-stack army (or 2-3 lesser leaders in he same stack). No spamming Triarii or other high end units either, a full 2-stack Roman army (rarely used unless with faction leader or several combined lesser generals!) ideally for me is 4 Hastati, 4 Principes, 2-3 Triarii, 2-3 Rorarii (reserves), 1-2 skirmishers, and 1-2 auxilia/mercs.  There are loads of other roleplay based "house rules" on the EB forum, and with the way the mod is set up (historical accuracy to an extreme I've never seen in a game before), roleplaying in such a way actually feels right, instead of like just blatantly handicapping the AI by giving yourself random rules to make them game harder.

< Message edited by mlc82 -- 4/9/2008 5:11:45 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 3
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 5:11:49 PM   
PunkReaper

Haven't been able to download this mod on the 3 mirrors they give........have you

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 4
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 6:50:04 PM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Haven't been able to download this mod on the 3 mirrors they give........have you

I did when it was immediately released, but I think their servers have been overloaded because quite a few people were reporting problems with downloading yesterday. 1.1 slipped in under the radar, and I would guess that people just took notice yesterday and went on a (still ongoing) download rampage.

< Message edited by mlc82 -- 4/10/2008 6:51:04 PM >

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 5
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 8:12:33 PM   
PunkReaper

Thanks for the reply...at the present download rate estimated time is 2 weeks........wait it has now brought up the infinity symbol. Never seen that one before.. May have to play Total Realism mod for a while

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 6
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 8:37:15 PM   
mikul82

quote:

Thanks for the reply...at the present download rate estimated time is 2 weeks........wait it has now brought up the infinity symbol. Never seen that one before.. May have to play Total Realism mod for a while

Is that with the torrent file? You might want to try the FTP download if it's back to working again...

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 7
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 8:42:36 PM   
ravinhood

I just got the message "you will be able to download this in your next life". :)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 8
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 9:47:33 PM   
sol_invictus

I tried to download it twice yesterday from the FTP and both time the file was corrupted. I finally tried the torrent link and it all went smooth and downloaded after about an hour. The game looks really nice. Does the Darth formation Mod improve over the 1.1 performance? I haven't had time to actually start a game. I'm trying to decide whether to download DarthMod. Is the consensus that dowloading DarthMod is a no-brainer?

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 9:59:29 PM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

I tried to download it twice yesterday from the FTP and both time the file was corrupted. I finally tried the torrent link and it all went smooth and downloaded after about an hour. The game looks really nice. Does the Darth formation Mod improve over the 1.1 performance? I haven't had time to actually start a game. I'm trying to decide whether to download DarthMod. Is the consensus that dowloading DarthMod is a no-brainer?

Not Darthmod itself, there's a link in the EB forum

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=90313

with other battle formation files converted to work in EB, that has a Darthmod set which I really like. It's NOT the 2nd edition file, just the "Darth Formations 16.2 for EB" file.

I assume this works with 1.1 as well, I haven't actually played much of the new version yet but believe the EB team has improved AI formations on their own as well, so I want to check that out first.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 10
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 10:12:03 PM   
sol_invictus

Thanks again, I am Sol Invictus over at the Wargammer.

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 11
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 10:55:56 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

You might want to try the FTP download if it's back to working again...

Its a conspircy the FTP download says "You don't have permission to access /files/files/RTW/TotalConversions/EB1.1.exe on this server."
What does this mean. Do I have to be vetted by the security forces. Is this racism cos I'm British (direct descendant of King Authur, unbroken male line.)....I give up. They keep raising my hopes then smashing them down.

Post #: 12
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/10/2008 11:14:34 PM   
sol_invictus

Just use a bitorrent program, if your isp allows it. It is much faster anyway.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 13
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 7:03:07 AM   
sol_invictus

Just got done playing four hours as the Romans. WOW! This mod is five times better than any game I have played in the last ten years. Absolutely amazing.

Post #: 14
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 2:45:36 PM   
Grell

Hi Arinvald,

I thought you were looking forward to EU Rome. That's what you told me at the wargamer.

Regards,

Grell

P.S. Please let me know which game you prefer when you get and have played EU Rome.

Post #: 15
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 4:07:47 PM   
sol_invictus

No question I am still looking forward to EU: Rome. I fully expect to actually enjoy EU: Rome more than EB since I prefer Grand Strategy instead of manipulating the units and fighting so many battles. There is no doubt that EU: Rome will beat EB in Grand Strategy hands down. Still, it is hard to believe that EB is "only" a mod.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 16
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 4:47:42 PM   
PunkReaper

Please don't post here until I have aleast finished downloading the mod. At the moment at a rate of 5 kb/s I should be ready on about June 23rd. Now if the file turns out to be corrupted......

Post #: 17
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 5:18:08 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

No question I am still looking forward to EU: Rome. I fully expect to actually enjoy EU: Rome more than EB since I prefer Grand Strategy instead of manipulating the units and fighting so many battles. There is no doubt that EU: Rome will beat EB in Grand Strategy hands down. Still, it is hard to believe that EB is "only" a mod.

Ah okay, that's great then, enjoy it!

Regards,

Grell

Post #: 18
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 5:19:29 PM   
Grell

quote:

Please don't post here until I have aleast finished downloading the mod. At the moment at a rate of 5 kb/s I should be ready on about June 23rd. Now if the file turns out to be corrupted......

LOL! Punk Reaper you kill me!

Keep at it and pray it's not a corrupt file.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 19
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/11/2008 5:47:51 PM   
sol_invictus

You really need to use a BitTorrent program, if possible. I tried two times without and each time after hours of downloading, the files were corrupt. Third time with BT and after an hour, it was all fine. Good luck.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 20
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 2:16:41 AM   
PunkReaper

sadly I've given up....download ok...installation ok.....crashes on start up. I'll dry my eyes and move on.

Post #: 21
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 2:28:20 AM   
mikul82

quote:

sadly I've given up....download ok...installation ok.....crashes on start up. I'll dry my eyes and move on.

Make sure you're installing it into your RTW directory- the default install directory is NOT set to install there, you'll have to manually set it.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 22
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 3:34:46 AM   
ravinhood

Well I been playing the EU:Rome demo and I'm finding it pretty simple, really about as simple as RTW as far as the AI goes. The AI plays a stupid ping pong game with you, rout it, and it comes right back and if it routs into a province you don't have any units in then it lays siege, then you have to make ping pong armies to push it back into it's own territory or someone elses. It's quite boring playing this way. It's just a time consumer, the AI can never or will ever win with these zero morale armies it's just playing that stupid DELAYING action most all the AI's in games do that really have no victory objectives.

Also, the romans have so many ships starting out that it can bring Carthage to a standstill right off the bat, destroy it's income by blockading and then play the ping pong battle wargames until all of them are finally decimated. I have 35000 men at their far eastern provinces one 20k stack and a 15k stack and I'm just marching west one province at a time and the 15k stack is just covering for the rout of the really only carthage army of 12 units, but, hardly 12k men that's playing that stupid ping pong game.

In the north I am stomping and colonizing the barbarin provinces as well. Taking care of them with about 15k men split in 3 sections. The barbarians come in hordes, but, their combat values are pitiful (like in RTW) and it only takes about 1/2 as many men to defeat them when they have 2:1 odds. I beat a 15k stack with 8k men.

The other bad thing about that ping pong bs is you can keep the AI running around in circles trying to get you. I have one stack of less than 5k men in Spain doing just that. Carthage AI has to keep chasing me around as I sack one province and then wait on them to come. The game itself will literally ping pong you forever with only few losses per battle (like 11 men or so) when your army stacks morale is like zero. This is supposed to be addressed in the full version I am told. It's rediculous that these armies when their morale is zero can keep running around causing havoc for years and years. That one stack in Spain has been there since the game started in 536 and I'm in 540 now and it still has over 4k men.

Plus what reeeely suks is the Histati and peasants and town guard are mixed in as LIGHT INFANTRY units called VELITES. Man that ticked me off royally. You Heavy Infantry is Principes. I haven't gotten far enough to see what the upgrades give, but, it's basically Light Infantry mixed, Heavy Infantry mixed, Archers, and Cavalry Light. I can't believe Rome starts off with NO cavalry provinces what bs. I'll have to attack Illrya to get horsies or pay 8g for 1 merc horse which is like 4x their value.

And there's no war dogs or flaming pigs....or screaming women or head hurlers. ;) Hell I haven't even seen a SIEGE ENGINE, it's automatic, didn't even see research for it, but, I haven't really looked for it yet. I remember in CK it was at least a graphic when sieging, but, basically abstracted from the research tree. You do get an assault command if you breach the walls, but, I've found this usually leads to me losing lol so I just let the siege play out normally.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/12/2008 3:41:35 AM >

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 23
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 6:58:33 PM   
PunkReaper

Thanks for the review RV.....so does this mean its worth buying? or after my Europa Barbarorum fiasco is this just another kick in the nuts.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 24
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 7:10:50 PM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Well I been playing the EU:Rome demo and I'm finding it pretty simple, really about as simple as RTW as far as the AI goes. The AI plays a stupid ping pong game with you, rout it, and it comes right back and if it routs into a province you don't have any units in then it lays siege, then you have to make ping pong armies to push it back into it's own territory or someone elses. It's quite boring playing this way. It's just a time consumer, the AI can never or will ever win with these zero morale armies it's just playing that stupid DELAYING action most all the AI's in games do that really have no victory objectives.

Also, the romans have so many ships starting out that it can bring Carthage to a standstill right off the bat, destroy it's income by blockading and then play the ping pong battle wargames until all of them are finally decimated. I have 35000 men at their far eastern provinces one 20k stack and a 15k stack and I'm just marching west one province at a time and the 15k stack is just covering for the rout of the really only carthage army of 12 units, but, hardly 12k men that's playing that stupid ping pong game.

In the north I am stomping and colonizing the barbarin provinces as well. Taking care of them with about 15k men split in 3 sections. The barbarians come in hordes, but, their combat values are pitiful (like in RTW) and it only takes about 1/2 as many men to defeat them when they have 2:1 odds. I beat a 15k stack with 8k men.

The other bad thing about that ping pong bs is you can keep the AI running around in circles trying to get you. I have one stack of less than 5k men in Spain doing just that. Carthage AI has to keep chasing me around as I sack one province and then wait on them to come. The game itself will literally ping pong you forever with only few losses per battle (like 11 men or so) when your army stacks morale is like zero. This is supposed to be addressed in the full version I am told. It's rediculous that these armies when their morale is zero can keep running around causing havoc for years and years. That one stack in Spain has been there since the game started in 536 and I'm in 540 now and it still has over 4k men.

Plus what reeeely suks is the Histati and peasants and town guard are mixed in as LIGHT INFANTRY units called VELITES. Man that ticked me off royally. You Heavy Infantry is Principes. I haven't gotten far enough to see what the upgrades give, but, it's basically Light Infantry mixed, Heavy Infantry mixed, Archers, and Cavalry Light. I can't believe Rome starts off with NO cavalry provinces what bs. I'll have to attack Illrya to get horsies or pay 8g for 1 merc horse which is like 4x their value.

And there's no war dogs or flaming pigs....or screaming women or head hurlers. ;) Hell I haven't even seen a SIEGE ENGINE, it's automatic, didn't even see research for it, but, I haven't really looked for it yet. I remember in CK it was at least a graphic when sieging, but, basically abstracted from the research tree. You do get an assault command if you breach the walls, but, I've found this usually leads to me losing lol so I just let the siege play out normally.

If Hastati and Peasants being mixed together as "Velites" doesn't piss you off enough, check out the "Druidic" religion of virtually every western "barbarian" faction in the game. That would be like EU 2 and 3 calling the religion of most of western Europe "Priestly". Just annoying IMO.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 25
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 7:19:49 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlc82

If Hastati and Peasants being mixed together as "Velites" doesn't piss you off enough, check out the "Druidic" religion of virtually every western "barbarian" faction in the game. That would be like EU 2 and 3 calling the religion of most of western Europe "Priestly". Just annoying IMO.

That is absurd or "rediculous" as Ravinhood would spell it. LOL!

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 26
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/12/2008 8:43:29 PM   
sol_invictus

I'm not real worked up over the names of the units. They are simply abstracted historical flavoring. Everyone basicly can build armies consisting of Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Archers, Horse Archers, Cavalry, and Elephants. In the Latin culture group, Heavy Infantry is simplified by calling it Principes. This includes Hastati, Principes, and Triarii. I would prefer it if the Roman Heavy Infantry were called Legionaries. This would be all inclusive and a more appropriate name than Principes. I intend to change a few names for units if this is possible. Not a real big deal.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 27
RE: Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) - 4/13/2008 1:18:32 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

Thanks for the review RV.....so does this mean its worth buying? or after my Europa Barbarorum fiasco is this just another kick in the nuts.

I don't know really yet Punky, the AI is pretty shallow overall and just beats its head against a brick wall of my units. It does play a bit better than RTW vanilla in that it at least tries and of course doesn't throw it's commanders out to be slaughtered like RTW. I'd say just sit on the fence and wait for the full release and see what changes. One thing about Paradox games since HOI origional I have never gotten in a hurry to buy them. This one too will go below $20 I'm pretty sure in a hurry as soon as the RTWers get ahold of it and find out the combat is pretty bland. haha

I have to admit at least the diplomacy AI is a bit better than most games. It will agree to end a war and giveup some provinces in the agreement and pay you tribute as well. Unlike RTW there is a smarter build to the AI in the diplomacy dept. as it knows it will get a major penalty if it declares war immediately after accepting a peace agreement and pretty much abides by it until the time limit is over. When setting up your agreement there's text at the bottom of the diplomacy window popup that pretty much tells you what they will accept or not. Against the Macedons I could select everything as I had destroyed their armies morale and according to the text if they didn't accept my peace agreement more than likely the peasantry would revolt against their leaders. That's pretty kewl. I like that.

Also, as it is I really see no reason to build Light Infantry units since archers are much better than light infantry and the majority of all my stacks are heavy infantry and archers only. Only time I build a Velite unit is when I need something fast to stop a revolt as Velites build faster, but, their combat values are really not very good. They are just for standing units and covering revolts as most revolt armies are made up primarily of these.
You put about 4 archer cohorts in your Legions and you'll stomp pretty much anything and everything (well those and a good leader). Archers have good combat modifiers vs everything. 150% vs melee and 100% vs everything else except elephants of course and I'm a bit surprised they don't have better modifiers vs elephants. In RTW I used archers and spearmen against elephants all the time and just stomped them and routed them to pieces.

Since population and manpower plays a HUGE part in this game you really need to conserve what you put your power into as 1000 heavy infantry and/or archers are much better than 2000 velites. Saves you manpower points and population and you're going to need to conserve as much of that as possible.

The war between Carthage and Macadonia has really taken a toll on my manpower population from 190k down to 33k. I haven't lost that much I just have that much in the field though. Playing Rome you have a ton of stuff to defend and protect as well as trying to expand and fight several wars at the same time.

I'll probably get it, but, not on release. There's enough play value in the demo for me for a long time as I haven't even tried Carthage yet. Carthage may be a bit more challenging, but, from what I've seen in Spain area I think I can exploit a hole through that and over the alps into Rome quite easily. ;)

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Europa Barbarorum v1.1 released! (Rome: Total War mod) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI