Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the difference?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the difference? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the diff... - 4/8/2008 8:36:44 PM   
V22 Osprey

I looked at the screenshots of both games.I have a question:Does War in the Pacific focus on land battles and Carriers at War Focuses on sea battles(I know,stupid question).Basicly I wanna know which is better.

Ezekiel
V22 Osprey
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 9:32:07 PM   
Grell

War in the Pacific is a massive game that spreads from the west coast of the USA all the way to Japan and Australasia. It is the type of game that requires land sea and air power to complete it.

Carriers at War is like the carrier battles you would find in WITP.

If you want a massive game that sucks you in get WITP.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 9:53:18 PM   
Hertston

Totally different styles of game. WitP is a massive strategy game dealing with the entire Pacific War if you wish... and games can take weeks (or even months). Carriers at War is a fairly 'lite' (relatively speaking) wargame dealing with carrier battles. You can easily play a couple of scenarios in an evening.

Which is 'better' will depend pretty much on your requirements and taste. Overall I think the vast majority here would choose WitP of the two BUT you have to like deep, involved stategy games... and have time to play them.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 10:06:38 PM   
V22 Osprey

Have plenty of time,and I think I would like battling on land as well as Air and Sea so it looks WITP is the winner.

Thanks,

Ezekiel
V22 Osprey

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 10:12:00 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

Have plenty of time,and I think I would like battling on land as well as Air and Sea so it looks WITP is the winner

In that case we wont be hearing from you again....you wont have the spare time

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 10:18:30 PM   
V22 Osprey

Is WITP really that bad?Hmmmm.....I really dont know which to get....if I had some extra money I would get both.I could If I didn't get CC:Modern Tactics but I dont want to be stuck in the pacific all day,so I'll get those later and get CC:MT.

V22 Osprey

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 6
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 10:23:56 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Is WITP really that bad?

Erm... yes, to be honest. It does seem to be true that folks who get hooked on WitP don't seem to spend much time playing anything else. The WitP forum is a whole different universe... there are folks in there with thousands of posts who never appear on any other Matrix board, even this one.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 7
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 10:32:32 PM   
Terminus

WitP isn't "bad" but it's huge.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 11:32:29 PM   
bradfordkay

BTW: Hertston had it wrong. In WITP games can take years to complete, but it is time well spent. That game is one of the all time great values in entertainment for the anally retentive grognard - once you get hooked on it you won't need to look at another game for ages!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 11:36:28 PM   
V22 Osprey

Bet it's not better than SPWAW

Cant beat SPWAW.And years?Yea right.Carriers at war makes an amazing come back folks...

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 10
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/8/2008 11:36:34 PM   
Hertston

Isn't that what I said?!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 11
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/9/2008 12:10:10 AM   
ravinhood

These guys keep using the wrong word "massive", it's fricking the most COMPLEX wargame ever made and takes YEARS to finish just one game of it. :) Why the initial turn alone can take TWO HOURS or more. ;) And if you make just one mistake JUST ONE then you have lost and might as well start over. ;) yeeeeehehehehe

Carriers at War on the other hand is a very friendly entry level simple game of carrier warfare with some ship to ship fighting included, but, not much.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/9/2008 2:24:37 AM   
Terminus

Like you've ever played WitP... It would make your brain dribble out of your ears...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/9/2008 3:46:20 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

...Why the initial turn alone can take TWO HOURS or more. ;) ...

multiply that by 6 and you are closer...that's providing it's not your first turn one...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the ... - 4/9/2008 4:21:09 AM   
Gem35

If you like to be in total control of the Pacific War and you enjoy the ability to micro-manage everything from:
base size, supplies , oil, fuel and resources

and

every squadron in your airforce to every ship in your Navy to every ground unit in your army each and every day of game time(you can change this option to 2 days for example) then this is the game without question to buy.

I have not played carriers of war but have not been impressed from the comments about that game either.

oh and to the comment about our forum, come on out and say hi.
alot of friendly and very intelligent folks.

< Message edited by Gem35 -- 4/9/2008 4:23:37 AM >

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Carriers at War and War in the Pacific...Whats the difference? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI