Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ Damage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> HQ Damage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ Damage - 4/8/2008 1:08:53 AM   
John 3rd

I have noticed an issue in holding Rangoon from my opponent Dan Roper regarding HQ Units. Since his seige began about 6 weeks ago (gametime), I have watched my HQ units lose strength almost everyday. I have two Army HQ, an Area Army HQ, and 3 Air HQ between Rangoon and Moulmein. As stated, regardless of whether Dan launches a Deliberate Attack or a Shock Attack, the strength of these units drops every day.

To counter this, I have taken to rotating these units between Rangoon (under seige) and Moulmein (free) over the last couple of weeks. The problem is that rebuilding any unit takes a lot of time.

There have been few--if any--air strikes hitting Rangoon since I control the air and no Naval Bombardments. The cities are well supplied and Forts are rising. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding why this is happening?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Post #: 1
RE: HQ Damage - 4/8/2008 1:12:16 AM   
rtrapasso

The HQ units seem to take damage preferentially over combat units... this has the effect of preserving the AV of the whole hex, but the HQ takes it on the chin... this necessitates the (slow) rebuilding of the units (as you have noted).

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ Damage - 4/8/2008 3:06:59 AM   
engineer

I've seen the same thing and ditto rtrapasso's advice. Also it may be that the HQ's are soaking up some of the malaria damage for units outside of the Rangoon hex but within the command radius. 

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ Damage - 4/8/2008 12:47:57 PM   
tabpub

HQ's, being REMF's, suffer from bombardment effects and are ground to dust under perpetual artillery attack.

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ Damage - 4/9/2008 12:51:52 AM   
John 3rd

Since that is about all that has been happening in Rangoon, then that makes a lot of sense.  I normally don't bother to look at HQ units and am really glad that I did!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ Damage - 4/9/2008 5:12:21 AM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub
HQ's, being REMF's, suffer from bombardment effects and are ground to dust under perpetual artillery attack.

HQ's, being REMF's, are deserting and setting up shop in Rangoon's cat houses!

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 6
RE: HQ Damage - 4/9/2008 6:24:16 AM   
Feinder

Well, also pay attention to the support squads in your combat units as well.  While your formal HQ units will absorb most of the support casualties, the support squads of LCUs will also become dimished (albeit at a slower rate).

What eventually happens is you end up with a support deficit.  While support - squad doesn't have to be exactly 1:1, if you're 20% short on support squads, you'll defend at about a 15% penalty.  So if you've got 100 squads and only 85 support (because they keep getting killed), you'll defend with about 88 or so base AV (plus the host of other modifiers).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> HQ Damage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI