Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> After Action Reports >> RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 10:14:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

Here's the South View for the same turn.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 10:29:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

One turn later and the Soviets have already managed to capture the second central objective. Combined with my loss of two Panzer IIIs, this is bad news for my victory level and good news for them.

My infantry has just about finished taking up positions in the treeline and I'm sure they'll be busy soon. Meanwhile a Rifle squad (I don't know yet if there are more coming) came into view not far from the south woods right after the rest of my infantry and MG42 had moved to the edge. They took the squad under fire and pinned it with heavy casualties in one phase.

The T-60As crossed to the road just behind the crest and my Panzer IVG was not able to take them under fire. I'm biding my time with him at this point as if I lose him, I'm pretty much done.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 32
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 10:38:20 PM   
Bad Santa

I apologize for picking nits, but there's a typo in the second part of the briefing in the orders category. "Annihilate" is spelled with two "n"s. My day job is as a copy editor, so these things jump out at me.

The cake is not a lie.

Post #: 33
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 10:39:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

Things start to go my way a bit more. The smoke clears and I also see a lot more infantry, a second company of regular Soviet rifles behind the Guards (you can't actually see them all in the shot below). Some were heading for the south woods, others following the Guards. As the smoke drops, my infantry in the Treeline adds their firepower to the fire I have coming from the woods into the flanks of the Guards force.

At the same time the 150mm Artillery starts dropping in the field. It's a beautiful thing. I count two squads destroyed this turn, a couple more with light casualties and several suppressed. One BA-64 is immobilized by a hit from my Panzer IVG, who spots it once the smoke drops. The other loses the wheels on one side due to the 150mm Artillery.

The Infantry in the treeline also take some of the Soviet infantry advancing into the objective area from behind it under fire, to no effect as yet.

If the T-60As stay out of this for a few turns, I may be able to seriously damage the Soviet infantry attack.

I decide to call in my 81mm mortar again, asking it to target the infantry on the other side of the objective area.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/8/2008 10:41:30 PM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 34
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 10:47:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

The Panzer IVG finally enters the action in a big way, taking out all three BA-64s accompanying the Guards infantry in the field and then taking out a T-60A that had finally come into view.

Meanwhile the artillery and fire from two sides is suppressing much of the Soviet infantry and causing some casualties.

My infantry in the treeline also manage to swing one of the central objectives back to my control.

A good turn for me.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 35
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 11:19:55 PM   
thewood1

Erik, how do you know how many casualties the Soviet infantry squads have taken?

Post #: 36
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 11:49:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

When I click on an enemy squad, I can see if they've taken light or heavy casualties. In future releases, you'll be able to see this visually in terms of number of models, but right now you have to click on them.

You also get a message in the event list when a spotted squad (enemy or friendly) takes damage, so you can also click on the message in the event list to jump to that squad and see where it is and what happened. While I watch the replay, I often double-click on squads of mine when they are highlighted in my HUD (which means they're taking fire) so that I can move to them and see what's going on. I also often click on damage events to see where they happened, unless I can already see it happen from my point of view.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/8/2008 11:58:51 PM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 37
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/8/2008 11:56:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, I'm back.. during Turn 9, the Panzer IVG took out a BA-64 that was leading some of the T-60As, then swung its gun around to aim at the Soviet infantry charging my troops in the woodline. The Soviets only send three squads at me - between the HE fire from the Panzer on their flank and the machine gun and rifle fire from the woods, two were quickly destroyed and a third suppressed.

A T-60A showed up on the road north of the central objective though and well within effective range of my platoon in the treeline. They're firing like crazy at the Guards in the field, so I assume the T-60A will spot them shortly if it hasn't already. It's presence alone has swung the central objective I had taken back to the Soviet side, so I'll have to eliminate it one way or another to regain control of that. For now, my infantry are eager to stay in cover and keep firing until the Soviet infantry are whittled down a bit more.

The T-60As in the north remain in position, as does my infantry.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 38
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 12:05:45 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, Turn 11...

My Panzer IVG managed to spot that T-60A moving along the road - with the first shot he took off the right track and the second shot through the treeline was a kill, that solves that problem for now and I'm feeling like the Panzer IVG is going to be a very tough nut for the Soviets to crack, thanks to their very poor luck on the tank selection.

The 81mm mortar finishes its harassing fire east of the objective.

A Soviet Sniper team turns out to be in amongst the wreckage of the T-60A and BA-64. They open fire on my platoon command squad in the treeline. Apparently this is one good sniper as they cause light casualties and suppress my squad.

Right now I'm content to hold my position and try to hang on to that central objective. With only one tank left, I'm not keen on risking it by going hunting for T-60As in the open only to have another Sturmovik arrive on station.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 39
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 12:16:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

On Turn 11, I decide to move the Halftracks in to the light woods ahead of them where they can target the infantry in the field and hopefully still be out of sight to the T-60As if they keep moving forward.

The 150mm Artillery is up again so I set it to pick up where the 81mm Mortar left off on the Soviet Regular Infantry east of the objective.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 40
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 12:22:51 AM   
Erik Rutins

Turn 11 ended up pretty quiet. Lots of fire exchanged for very little result. The Soviets seem to be hunkering down. Next turn the 150mm artillery should come in and shake things up a bit more.

I'm not making any changes to my deployment or targeting for now.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 41
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 12:34:36 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, the T-60As are still trying to advance, probably hoping to get past my Panzer IVG's zone of fire to the objective area. My Panzer IVG is doing yeoman work though as it destroys another two T-60As. I feel for the AI as frankly this is a really poor matchup for it tank-wise and I'm not sure it will be able to overcome the current situation given my deployment. It still has an entire group of T-60As in reserve up north though and who knows if there are more IL-2 Sturmoviks, so anything is possible.

Nevertheless, I'm hanging on to one of those two central objectives and my victory points are now a bit higher than the AIs. I've made up for the loss of those Panzer IIIJs.

The Guards infantry are now largely suppressed in the field. They're firing back at my troops in the woods, but their fire is largely ineffective and my own fire from the treeline as well as the woods is keeping their heads down and occasionally causing casualties.

One trick the Soviets unveiled though is a 76mm Infantry Gun, which showed up to the east of the objective area and took my troops in the woods under fire. In one phase it already caused casualties to one squad and suppressed it, thanks to 76mm HE firing into woods. Not sure what I'll do about that yet, but I'm hoping the 150mm Artillery Strike in its vicinity will have the luck to catch its crew - I have more pressing concerns still at the moment for my other units to deal with

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 42
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 1:00:19 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, time for me to take a break. Enjoy the evening folks, I'll either pick this up later tonight or tomorrow as time allows.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 43
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 4:45:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, another turn and I think I'm breaking the back of the Soviet attack. The field that was once full of Guards Rifle and Rifle squads advancing along with BA-64s towards the central objective is now filled with the wounded and dying. Each turn, fewer effective squads remain. I've been focusing most of my effort, including the Panzer IVG's HE fire when it has no vehicle targets, on hammering those Soviet troops caught in the crossfire.

After that and 150mm Artillery and 81mm Mortar fire, I think the threat from that area is just about dealt with.

Meanwhile, a combination of T-60, Sniper, Rifle squad and Infantry Gun fire has been causing some casualties to my platoon in the treeline by the road. This turn one of my squads was effectvely destroyed. I feel confident enough about the field to swtch as much fire as I can away from it and towards these other targets.

I decide to move my Panzer IVG as I feel that victory is coming within reach and I'd rather grab it than attrit my way there. Let's hope that doesn't go down as my boneheaded move of the game.

I also decide to Advance the SS Infantry out of the woods towards the central objectives.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/9/2008 4:47:51 AM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 44
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 4:57:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, the Panzer IV moved out and I sent the Halftracks ahead of it to bring their MGs into play. The SS Infantry is starting to exit the woods to cross the open ground on the way to the objective. The rest of the infantry in the woods are trying to keep the surviving Soviet infantry suppressed.

As my forces moved out, some of the remaining T-60s appeared behind the central objectives, moving towards the road junction. The Panzer IV spotted them near the end of the Reaction phase, so it's still turning its turret to bear.

Note that this screenshot is taken while the Panzer IVG is selected, so you can only see the enemy units that it can see. There are more out there, but it can't see them so while we've got it selected they are hidden from view. This makes it very easy to see the effects of relative spotting and to know what you can and can't target.

I have no artillery available at present, so I'm going to hope my fire and maneuver plan to get the SS Infantry across that ground works. I order the Panzer IVG to remain stationary and target those T-60s. I order the halftracks to Withdraw a ways again as they are easy targets for the T-60s.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 45
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:07:59 AM   
Erik Rutins

Another turn and things are getting interesting. A single T-60 absorbs quite a lot of my Panzer IV's attention. Both tracks are blown off as well as other damage I can't identify until it's abandoned at the end of the turn. Meanwhile the T-60s engage my infantry in the treeline and the woods with their 20mm cannons.

I take more casualties in the treeline, including the loss of my command squad. My platoon fails its morale and starts to withdraw away from the enemies they can see, apparently hoping that the treeline will block their line of fire if the move back away from it. I'm disappointed to lose that position, but I think it's a temporary problem. Those troops will rally and the T-60s should be history soon if my Panzer IVG has anything to say about it.

The advance of the SS Infantry is going well in the meantime.

Another bit of good news is that my last round of 81mm mortar strikes landed one right on the Soviet 76mm Infantry gun and destroyed it entirely.

I also notice that the new T-60s appear to be the reserve group the AI had been holding back in the north. My infantry in the north now sees no defense for the northern objective, so I decide to abandon cover and stealth and send them forward with the mortars and HMGs overwatching from the woods in case some Soviet infantry remained behind.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 46
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:08:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

Here's the view in the north, which ended up being the quiet sector - we'll see if that continues.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 47
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:12:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

The Soviet infantry in the field is starting to put out a bit more fire again. My 150mm Artillery is available again and one of the HQs in the woods has contact with it, so I call it in to keep the field suppressed while the SS Infantry cross. I could have called in more Smoke, but I opt for HE in the hopes of finishing off more of the remaining squads.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 48
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:16:02 AM   
Erik Rutins

Soviet infantry seem to be popping back up from the field like mushrooms. I'd lost sight of them, but when they apparently unsuppressed and opened fire again at my SS Infantry, I was surprised to see how many were still alive.

Nothing like moving in the open to draw attention!

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 49
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:25:04 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, well I'm learning another lesson - again. I should have waited to use smoke or HE on that field before crossing. The sudden reappearance of Soviet infantry in the field dealth the SS Infantry a sharp blow. One SS Infantry Squad was destroyed this turn, another took Light Casualties and a third was Suppressed. The one squad closest to the enemy also routed away from them (you can lose morale at an individual squad as well as platoon level, the previous rout was a platoon morale loss, this one is just a single squad while the rest of the platoon is still in good morale).

I've decided to tell the SS Infantry to stop, drop and fire. Advancing further at this instant seems crazy, perhaps once the artillery is dropping the Soviets will go back to ground. I tell the closest squad to the Soviets that isn't routing to throw some smoke grenades to block the Soviet line of sight.

The Panzer IVG disposes of another T-60 and I start reorganizing my Regular infantry platoon. They rallied over the course of two phases, two squads rallying per phase. Now to get them back to a useful position as soon as possible and as safely as possible...

In the North, my advancing Panzer Grenadiers have met no opposition and seen no enemies. That objective looks to be under my control soon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/9/2008 5:27:45 AM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 50
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:38:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

Another turn and the victory meters for both sides are heading closer to the top. I feel confident that if I can take the northern objective and control one of these central ones, I can get a victory. Ideally, I want both central objectives to improve the qualty of my victory. Easier said than done, of course.

The SS Infantry squad that routed and started running away from the Soviets over open ground ended up taking Heavy Casualties and being suppressed. It has now rallied and the rest of the SS Infantry are unsuppressed. The smoke from the smoke grenades is starting to spread a bit, though it will never be all that big. The 150mm artillery in the field has been diong a great job on the Soviets again, which has been helping keep the pressure off the SS Infantry. They are still in a bad position though and I ask the 81mm mortar to fire some smoke to help cover them as I've decided to withdraw them as soon as I can.

The Panzer IVG destroys another T-60 it sees heading to the objective and damages a second one. One of the T-60s takes my infantry and halftracks under fire at varying times and penetrates but does not damage a halftrack. The regular infantry are almost back in position.

I plan to keep the Panzer IVG where it is for one more turn, then advance along with the regular infantry along the road and treeline to try to sieze control of an objective.

Stll no sign of the enemy in the north.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/9/2008 5:40:46 AM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 51
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:49:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

Turn 19

I take the Northern objective, bringing my victory bar quite close to the top. But there are definitely some complications

The SS Infantry is paying the price for my tactical choices. After the last turn, their three remaining squads are as follows:

1. Heavy Casualties, Suppressed
2. Light Casualties, Suppressed
3. Light Casualties

I'm ordering them to withdraw as soon as the 81mm Smoke arrives.

Meanwhile the Panzer IVG has cleared all T-60s from the objective area, but the rest of the T-60s (yes, the AI may not have had quality tanks, but it certainly had a lot of quantity!) are advancing down the other side of the tree line. They stun one of my halftracks and cause casualties to one of my infantry squads. I withdraw the halftracks further. I tell the Panzer IVG to withdraw past the edge of the treeline, where it should the able to see and engage the remaining T-60s.

Once those T-60s are dealt with, taking the central objective should be much more achievable.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 52
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 5:58:03 AM   
Erik Rutins

The last T-60 (that I'm aware of) has been destroyed. Now it's only infantry on his side, but he has some SMG and Rifle squads near the central objectives so I'll need some real firepower there. I order my regular infantry to Bound along the treeline, alternating between covering fire and movement.

I order the Panzer IVG to Advance towards the Central objectives now. With its Point Value, provided I keep it safe from Close Assault, it should swing those objectives in my favor.

The 81mm Smoke is coming down. I order the SS Infantry to Rush back to the woods.

I fine-tune my placements in the North to defend that objective.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 53
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:03:52 AM   
Erik Rutins

The SS Infantry make it back to the cover of the woods without further casualties.

The Panzer IVG and Infantry continue their advance. Soviet troops are advancing towards the objective area too, obviously intent on making it as tough as possible for me to take control away.

The Panzer fires as it moves, but doesn't hit much. No significant casualties on either side this turn.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 54
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:16:20 AM   
Erik Rutins

The next turn, we traded casualties on several squads until my infantry platoon and Panzer IVG got in range to exert control over the central objectives. The additional points pushed me over the top. Decisive Victory awarded!

The Panzer IVG went from Veteran to Elite after this battle - it did a great job and would have been great to continue with it in a campaign, though the loss of those Panzer IIIJs would have hurt even more in that case.

My losses in the end were as follows (note that this is only full losses, doesn't count light or heavy casualties to squads):

3 x Regular Squads Destroyed
1 x SS Infantry Squads Destroyed
2 x Panzer IIIJs Destroyed

Soviet losses were as follows:

5 x Guards Rifle Squads Destroyed
6 x Rifle Squads Destroyed
1 x 76mm Infantry Gun Destroyed
4 x BA-64 Destroyed
9 x T-60A Destroyed

Thanks for helping me generate this battle, everyone. I hope you enjoyed the replay!

Regards,

- Erik

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 55
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:32:46 AM   
Mraah

Erik,

Thank you very much sir!! Well done.

You sure it was a Decisive Victory or just a Marginal ... just joking .

I've wondered if you took the Northern Victory faster, if that would have made the A/I turn it's T-60's toward that objective. Hmm.

Again, looking forward to it's release!!
Time to shoot the engineer and get on with production!!

Rob

Post #: 56
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:39:09 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mraah
I've wondered if you took the Northern Victory faster, if that would have made the A/I turn it's T-60's toward that objective. Hmm.

Well, it was keeping that one group of T-60s up there for quite a while. It only decided to commit them to the center when I really started hitting it hard and I have to admit those additional T-60s did cause some trouble for a while. I was concerned they might knock the tracks off my Panzer IVG during a few of those exchanges of fire and make me take the objective with just infantry.

Although T-60s are overmatched by Medium tanks, one thing T-60s are pretty good at is causing trouble for infantry and I didn't really want to try to charge my northern group over there while they were still around.

Glad you enjoyed it.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/9/2008 6:40:10 AM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 57
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:40:05 AM   
Erik Rutins

Oh and I think there will be some VERY good news for you all tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 58
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:42:07 AM   
Mraah

Also, a comment and question.

If the Russians had reinforcements it could have changed the battle. I see your initial point when designing the battle that it would have been slightly more dynamic.

And, the question ...

Do reinforcements ONLY arrive at the sides starting map edge? Or can they be randomly rolled to arrive 90 degrees from the edge?
A good flank reinforcement modifier might prove interesting.

Thanks again!

Rob

Post #: 59
RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR - 4/9/2008 6:59:03 AM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The Panzer IVG went from Veteran to Elite after this battle - it did a great job and would have been great to continue with it in a campaign, though the loss of those Panzer IIIJs would have hurt even more in that case.
- Erik

Oh, another comment/idea .

You know, you mentioned a few times how the A/I chose the T-60's ... Do you remember if it had an opportunity to get T-34's?

Now, since it chose T-60's, it makes me think it chose quantity over quality. Well, that's not a bad thing, however ...
Considering you had the Panzer IV, I can now throw in my idea for the campaign game ... Fuzzy Logic for the A/I.
Since the A/I knows that you have Panzer IVG's you could have the A/I try to balance it's force more (next battle) to take on this threat, ie select quality over quantity.

I dunno ... .

Rob

< Message edited by Mraah -- 4/9/2008 7:00:16 AM >

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> After Action Reports >> RE: Forum-Generated Battle AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI