Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF - 4/3/2008 5:12:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

I did say "retract last land move"  and by that I mean put the unit back in its starting position.  I do think a "retract all land moves" ability (i.e. put yourself back to the start of the land movement step) would resolve about 66% of the problems.

I would like to let the player choose between having the unit go back to its starting hex or merely go back 1 hex in its movement - stepwise retraction of a move. That's just because that is what I would want if I were playing.

There can be dozens of land moves and undoing them all would be a powerful/dangerous capability. Oops!

The current problem is small: How to enable a player to undo a move without letting him exploit the program's implementation such that he can do something the rules do not allow.

Most of the time this is not a problem. It is just when there are units out of supply (I think). And then it is only if the player has made a move that changed the supply status of a unit AND then moved the newly suplied unit. Those are fairly tight constraints. It shouldn't be too hard for the program to detect when they occur and impose an oversight routine before permitting the player to undo moves.

By the way, this discussion is helping me refine my understanding of the problem.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 31
RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF - 4/3/2008 6:27:36 AM   
Norman42

Would it not also come into play during Overrun?

IE Stack overruns unit/aircraft xxx then undo the move, the program will need to know to replace those killed/rebased units.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 32
RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF - 4/3/2008 7:05:58 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Would it not also come into play during Overrun?

IE Stack overruns unit/aircraft xxx then undo the move, the program will need to know to replace those killed/rebased units.

I suspect that overrunning can not be undone. At least it should never be permitted if the enemy player rebases any units. The general rule is: if your opponent makes a decision, then you cannot undo your decision.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 33
RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF - 4/3/2008 10:14:07 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
The general rule is: if your opponent makes a decision, then you cannot undo your decision.

I agree.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 34
RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF - 4/3/2008 10:15:56 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

I did say "retract last land move"  and by that I mean put the unit back in its starting position.  I do think a "retract all land moves" ability (i.e. put yourself back to the start of the land movement step) would resolve about 66% of the problems.

This is already possible, by player agreements, by loading the saved game from the start of the step. There is an autosave at the start of each step.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WiFFE vs. MWiF Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI