Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/25/2008 7:02:36 PM   
ravinhood

Well the other $2.98 game I bought at the same time I bought Sid's Railroads arrived yesterday "TITANS QUEST" and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's almost Diablo II to a tee with some elements SLIGHTLY changed as I guess to not fall into copyright infringements. ;)

First of all if you're not a Diablo/Diablo II fan you won't like this game either. I'm a fan so I'm enjoying it so far. I had gotten "Fallout I-II" and "Gothic II" gold not long ago and both of those sort of fell to the wayside as I wasn't getting into them like I am this one.

First thing I noticed right off the bat is the loot scale is off the charts. You won't have any complaints about how much loot you get to pickup it's all over the place. In fact they made a feature where you can just light up the more valueable loot items instead of everything that drops. I've been making frequent trips to the merchant to sell off the loot I've been getting and I think I see the reason for this frequency since as you gain in levels the loot the merchant sells gets better and better and some of the better quality items can be BOUGHT instead of waiting for that one drop you may never see. Although you still get good drops you can use from the adventure as well. I've gained over 100k wealth very quickly and bought a couple of decent items from the merchant and it's a good thing I did cause I woulda got stomped by some of these bosses already if I had to depend on loot drops alone.

I need an inventory mule and a bank vault. lol There's so many items you'll find that are 5 or so levels above what you can use and you just hate to sell them. But, your loot box is so small (haven't found a vault yet or something that increases the size of the loot box like they did Diablo II) you'll have to make tough decisions very early on of what to keep and what to dump. Right now it looks like it's better to dump those items you can't use for several levels and buy items you can use atm.

You basically start off as a warrior/melee type, but, unlike Diablo II where you select the type of character you want to be in this one you adventure and gain experience to level up and then put skill points from leveling up into the things that will make you what you want to be. If you want to be a wizard you put more points into intelligence, if you want to be a ranger then into dexterity and of course the warrior strength. But, what really seperates this game from Diablo II is that you get to pick from like 8 focuses of MASTERY skill sets. Like Spiritual, Earth, Defense, Nature, Warfare, Rogue, Hunting and Storm. These are skill sets that use your energy and me being always wanting self heals and a pet I took Nature to start with. I never did like just depending on potions. What I'm not sure of atm (didn't read the whole manual yet ;) ) is if I can have more than one focus skill set of Mastery going at one time. I kinda doubt it, but, (I was wrong can you believe it? Lol Yes you get TWO Mastery Focus Skill set selections one at level 2 and another at level 8) the thought did cross my mind that that would be kewl if we could. Obviously though you'll get the most power out of your character going one class and one focus of Mastery set...that's how pvp people would think anyways, but, I don't play these in a pvp attitude I like to roleplay a character and in like DnD I will take 3 classes instead of just one cause I like a little bit of everything on my pizza not just cheese. ;)

You also if you spent your regular attribute points into something you wished you hadn't for a substantial fee can get them back. (I always thought this was a good idea, but, not many developers ever put it into the games even Guild Wars uses this, but, it doesn't cost you a dime). But, you cannot change your Mastery focuses or get those skill points back once you use them.

The AI is typical Diablo IIish like. They come at you in hordes the futher you get into the game, the bosses are tough enough (make you use healing spells or potions) there was even a THE BUTCHERlike boss around level 2 or 3 of my adventure hahaha even looked like him somewhat. Also a tip even if you play a warrior bring yourself a good bow along cause I find some bosses have specials up close in melee and while they can stomp you at close range you can stomp them with a measly puny bow at long range cause some of them won't move to come get you and just use their puny ranged item. There's some good popups as well like in Dungeon Siege that have chain reactions and you'll have yourself a good long minute of constant battling where your life will weigh in the balance several times (bring dem healing potions) ;)

This game alone easily makes up for the $2.98 loss of Sids Railroads being crappy and I'll never play it again. lol This is why I like bargain bin. Even if one game turns out to be crap at under $5 one other game of the same price or less can certainly make up for it in fun factor and longevity.

So, I suggest anyone that's a Diablo/Diablo II fan jump on over to Amazon and pick yourself up a copy before they start price gouging them because there's an upswing in sales. ;)

My name is Ravinhood and I approve this game. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 3/25/2008 7:35:37 PM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Post #: 1
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/25/2008 7:39:09 PM   
marcusm

Yep. Don't have the expansion but this is a solid game.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 2
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/25/2008 8:18:03 PM   
Grell

Seems like we all have the same taste in games, I bought Titan Quest as well, like you Marcusm I didn't buy the expansion.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 3
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/25/2008 8:56:47 PM   
marcusm

Just waiting for the first remark on the title error ;).

I even liked this more than Diablo 2 due to the setting. Choosing Classical mythology as
a base was real change of pace. More CRPG:s should try something new.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 4
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/25/2008 9:20:39 PM   
Phatguy

yup really good game

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 5
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/25/2008 11:26:26 PM   
ravinhood

Oh man I just got my 2nd wolf summons under my Mastery focus and these pups are awesome. I can just stand back and shoot arrows of fire and let me pets do the rest. Only two complaints I have so far is the max stacking of potions is set to FIVE! that suks. I looked for a mod but it stops at 1.08 to fix this and I have 1.30 patch version. This game really needs a storage vault as well as your inventory I've reached a point now where I have to goto a merchant to sell after every battle nearly. Like I said before though this game has no lack of LOOT to pickup and this is just the good stuff that's not even counting all the broken and cruddy stuff laying around also.
Still good game so far lots of exciting battles of near death for me. lol

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 6
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/26/2008 12:36:09 AM   
marcusm

It would be interesting to read what character builds people have tried.

I like summoner types but I am also interested in the fighter/defender type build.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/28/2008 6:19:32 AM   
mikul82

Don't miss this game!  I haven't been able to stop playing this one for weeks...  It doesn't look wildly impressive, but try it out if you even slightly enjoyed Diablo!

Depths of Peril: http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Overview.html

I played TQ until I downloaded this one ;)

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 8
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/28/2008 4:12:32 PM   
HansBolter

Ironically, I came close to buying this one at least a dozen times and never made the committment.

I found another Diablo clone that was really enjoyable and can't remember the one word title for the life of me now.

They say the memory is the first thing to go......

I passed it on to my brother who hasn't gotten around to playing it yet.

I'll check with him to get the name and post it here in case anyone who enjoys this genre might be able to check it out.

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 9
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/28/2008 4:46:04 PM   
ravinhood

One thing I've noticed about TQ over D2 is that you don't just stand toe to toe with these bosses/gods like you can in D2. I've had to kite several bosses so far because toe to toe they were stomping my butt. lol Especially that Cyclops. Omg he stomped my puppies sooooo badly and about 3 hits from that club of his and I'd be dead. But, since I went Earth and Nature I can heal myself rapidly from near death, summon two very strong wolves and buff ourselves up with +30% health and then attach fire damage to our attacks from the Earth line. Fire seems to work rather well on most everything and I gots this Staff I use for distance fighting and kiting that is base 14 fire and has +2 to +8 lightning damage (inherent) and the +3 to +7 extra fire damage from the Earth buff and another 3% fire damage overall and then my +12 life siphon over 3 seconds relic I have attached to my staff. This staff is pretty deadly to regular mobs killing them in just 1 or 2 hits most times.

Another downside to this game that D2 has are these save LOCATION portals are too few and far between. You HAVE to play to the next town/outpost to be able to have a new location save position. There are no teleport portals in EACH zone like there is in D2 and some of these treks take HOURS to complete and for the casual gamer who only has a few minutes or maybe an hour at most it will make it kinda hard for them to reach the next town/outpost to save in. Now you can save your character and their stuff as often as you wish, it's just the location portals that you have to play to to be able to start from that location next time you play that are annoying a little. Most treks are at least two zones, but, I've run into some that are four zones to the next town/outpost like Delphi. I still enjoy and like the adventure though, but, I could see where some people would get frustrated at having to start from their last town or outpost all the time just because they didn't have enough playing time to get to the next one. I rather like games to save me in the exact SPOT I am in when I save it instead of it having to be the last town or outpost.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/28/2008 4:53:52 PM   
Grell

Hi Rav,

Yeah I agree the whole save system bothered me. It could have been so much more, as it stands it's a nuisance.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/28/2008 6:29:20 PM   
JAMiAM

Titan Quest is a nice game. If you want a vault, look for the TQVault. Or, buy the expansion pack which gives you another mastery, some cool, new options, another quest after you finish the main TQ quest, as well as caravan traders, who act similar to a vault.

However, knowing RH's propensity for pinching pennies, then TQVault is the way to go. It is free, and more versatile with respect to storing goods. Also, it allows you to combine your potions into whatever quantity you wish.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 12
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/28/2008 7:05:42 PM   
marcusm

What about builds? Anyone here have recommendations.

I am thinking of restarting and looking at some good allrounders. THe pure summoner didnt quite work out as I envisioned.
I want something that works out for all situations.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 13
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/30/2008 6:56:50 AM   
Zakhal

If you want a good rpg with diablo style combat and ultima style world get Divine Divinity. 

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 14
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/30/2008 7:14:51 AM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

If you want a good rpg with diablo style combat and ultima style world get Divine Divinity. 

Seconded as well, DD is a load of fun.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 15
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/30/2008 7:36:49 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

What about builds? Anyone here have recommendations.

I am thinking of restarting and looking at some good allrounders. THe pure summoner didnt quite work out as I envisioned.
I want something that works out for all situations.

I feel you almost can't not take NATURE as one of your choices since there's one skill that just gives you hit points and also hit points to your friends or pets. This way I don't have to waste valueable personal skill points into the attribute of health and can put them into strength, intelligence or dexterity which are more important in the long run. Those wolf pets that you get early and up to two of them are pretty valueable as well in holding off the bosses while you can stand back and pulverize them with bows or staffs.

I also took EARTH as my 2nd choice because I wanted FIRE added to all my attacks as well as buffing my pets with fire damage. Fire in most dnd type games is usually always the top most used skill in them. Fire pretty much kills everything while there are a few instances where you need lightning and or cold damage. This staff I have built for ranged attacks now has a 20% bonus to fire 5-8+ fire damage a 14 base fire damage with a complete bat fang relic attached which gives +30 lifeleech over 3 seconds and a bonus of 2-5 fire damage and an inherent 2-8 Lightning damage. This is one kickarse staff I've made at very little intelligence attribute. It would be more powerful if I would sink more points into intelligence, but, I'm mainly working on strength for armor and some power weapons I've found I can't use till I'm level 15.

It would seem in this game as in Diablo 2 that it's best to pour ALL your eggs into one basket, but, just like in Diablo 2 I never followed that philosophy because when you get to a point of overkill (and you can in Diablo 2 if you follow the pvpers philosophy) it becomes boring to play and no challenge. If I poured all my egges into fire and strength and perhaps the nature hit point buff I would become unbeatable by anything other than the endgame god/titan and even that might be a pushover like Diablo was to many in Diablo 2. Even building my D2 Necro up the way I wanted all the bosses were easy except Mephisto he was the hardest to me actually. But, I still stomped him. ;)

quote:

Hi Rav,

Yeah I agree the whole save system bothered me. It could have been so much more, as it stands it's a nuisance.

Regards,

Grell

Actually Grell I discovered in my last play session that you CAN SAVE at the REBIRTH FOUNTAINS and you will start again from there. Well Rebirth fountains are in EVERY zone like the zone portals in D2. So finding this out takes away from that complaint as it's easier to find a rebirth fountain and click on it then save your game and come back right there later on. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 3/30/2008 7:41:42 AM >

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 16
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/30/2008 3:02:55 PM   
Grell

Hi Rav,

My memory is shot because of my HD but I do remember those rebirth fountains, however you are forced by the speed of the game to discover these. Thus you are at the mercy of your speed and the size of the map. I don't play RPG's for long periods at a time sadly and that bugs me.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 17
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/31/2008 3:09:16 PM   
HansBolter

Checked with my brother over the weekend.

The Diablo clone I gave him was called Sacred.

He was just getting ready to load it and give it a try.

I enjoyed it and it was one I picked up from the sale rack.

Here is a link to a review on Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/sacred/

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/31/2008 3:10:03 PM >

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 18
RE: Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone - 3/31/2008 3:11:48 PM   
marcusm

It doesnt work too well on newer computers though. It aged terribly fast.

However. Sacred2 is coming soon.

Deus Vult.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Titans Quest A Pretty Good Dialbo Clone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI