Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Viruses Bad memories

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Viruses Bad memories Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 8:24:02 AM   
Zap

The Worst Viruses of All Time

Brain, 1986
It all started here: Brain was the first "real" virus ever discovered, back in 1986. Brain didn't really hurt your PC, but it launched the malware industry with a bang and gave bad ideas to over 100,000 virus creators over the next two decades.

Michelangelo, 1991
The worst MS-DOS virus ever, Michelangelo attacked the boot sector of your hard drive and any floppy drive inserted into the computer, which caused it to spread rapidly. After spreading quietly for months, the virus "activated" on March 6, and promptly started destroying data on tens of thousands of computers.

Melissa, 1999
Technically a worm, Melissa (named after a stripper) collapsed entire email systems by causing computers to send mountains of messages to one another. The author of the virus was eventually caught and sentenced to 20 months in prison.

ILOVEYOU, 2000
Noteable for being one of the first viruses to trick users into opening a file, which claimed to be a love letter to the recipient. In reality, the file was a VBS script that sent mountains of junk mail and deleted thousands of files. Terribly devastating, one estimate holds that 10 percent of all computers were affected, to a cost of $5.5 billion. It remains perhaps the worst worm of all time.

Code Red, 2001
An early "blended threat" attack, Code Red targeted web servers instead of user machines, defacing websites and later launched denial of service attacks at a host of IP addresses, including the White House.

Nimda, 2001
Built on Code Red's attack system of finding multiple avenues into machines (email, websites, network connections, and more), infecting both web servers and user machines. It found paths into computers so effectively that, 22 minutes after it was released, it becamse the Internet's most widespread virus at the time.

Klez, 2001
An email virus, Klez pioneered spoofing the "From" field in email messages it sent, making it impossible to tell if Bill Gates did or did not really send you that information about getting free money.

Slammer, 2003
Another fast spreader, this worm infected about 75,000 systems in just 10 minutes, slowing the internet to a crawl (much like Code Red) and shutting down thousands of web sites.

MyDoom, 2004
Notable as the fastest-spreading email virus of all time, infecting computers so they can, in turn, send even more junk mail. In a strange twist, MyDoom was also used to attack the sco.com website, a very unpopular company that was suing companies over its code being used in Linux distributions.

Storm, 2007
The worst recent virus, Storm spread via email spam with a fake attachment and ultimately infected up to 10 million computers, causing them to join its zombie botnet.

Post #: 1
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 12:04:21 PM   
SemperAugustus

I assume you are just listing PC viruses, there were a few nasty viruses on c64 and Amiga as well, e.g. HIV on the c64. There was another one that pulled the disk drive reader out of its correct position.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 1:12:57 PM   
Terminus

And yet, in spite of being told not to 9 million times, people continue to open e-mail attachments from senders they don't know.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 3
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 1:55:44 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

And yet, in spite of being told not to 9 million times, people continue to open e-mail attachments from senders they don't know.

9 million and ONE now....thanks for that essential bit of color commentary........

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 2:27:43 PM   
Grell

Holy moses is that ever a list of pain.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 2:47:01 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

9 million and ONE now....thanks for that essential bit of color commentary........

Well, it obviously hasn't sunk in...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 2:55:41 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

ummm...I was actually trying to parody your methodology of padding your post count by providing color commentary in almost every thread I see on these forums by playing the same game...but you prove your mastery of the technique in your counter reply and I now humbly bow to the master..

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 6:15:05 PM   
Goblin

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ummm...I was actually trying to parody your methodology of padding your post count by providing color commentary in almost every thread I see on these forums by playing the same game...but you prove your mastery of the technique in your counter reply and I now humbly bow to the master..

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 7:16:05 PM   
ravinhood

The only two I ever encountered were that MYDOOM one and the SASSAR one. I had to RACE against the clock to download the fix for one of them as you only had so long online before the virus shut your connection down. lol That was the worst one for me. When you're on dialup and the fix is 2mb that's a long time haha.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 9
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 9:54:14 PM   
LarryP

The first (yes 1rst cause there's more) virus I ever encountered was called the Sunday virus back in about 1991? Wiped out my system entirely and that's when I had an aquired hate for the scum that writes this crap. Life in prison would be a great start.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 10
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 10:13:33 PM   
Grell

Hi Larry,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 11
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 10:47:55 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, "almost every thread", right... Moron...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 12
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/21/2008 11:33:47 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So....poking fun at your game somehow makes me a "moron"...yeah right

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/22/2008 12:17:15 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

Hi Larry,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Regards,

Grell

Live and learn. Now I use AVG Virus protection. Back then there was not a lot to choose from other than Norton Utilities.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 14
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/24/2008 2:58:31 AM   
Mac67

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Amazing. After all the warnings you have received and the bans you are still continuing name-calling other posters. Even more amazing that no mod has called you on it

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/25/2008 12:37:19 AM   
Fred98

I have never been hit by a trojan , virus, worm or anything else!

-

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 16
RE: Viruses Bad memories - 3/25/2008 12:47:16 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

The Worst Viruses of All Time

Brain, 1986
It all started here: Brain was the first "real" virus ever discovered, back in 1986. Brain didn't really hurt your PC, but it launched the malware industry with a bang and gave bad ideas to over 100,000 virus creators over the next two decades.

Michelangelo, 1991
The worst MS-DOS virus ever, Michelangelo attacked the boot sector of your hard drive and any floppy drive inserted into the computer, which caused it to spread rapidly. After spreading quietly for months, the virus "activated" on March 6, and promptly started destroying data on tens of thousands of computers.

Melissa, 1999

Technically a worm, Melissa (named after a stripper) collapsed entire email systems by causing computers to send mountains of messages to one another. The author of the virus was eventually caught and sentenced to 20 months in prison.

What the hell is wrong with this world that this son of a bitch is walking the streets again. You'd be a fool if you think he has,'t done it since. Makes you wonder if there is a conspiracy of some kind

ILOVEYOU, 2000
Noteable for being one of the first viruses to trick users into opening a file, which claimed to be a love letter to the recipient. In reality, the file was a VBS script that sent mountains of junk mail and deleted thousands of files. Terribly devastating, one estimate holds that 10 percent of all computers were affected, to a cost of $5.5 billion. It remains perhaps the worst worm of all time.

Code Red, 2001
An early "blended threat" attack, Code Red targeted web servers instead of user machines, defacing websites and later launched denial of service attacks at a host of IP addresses, including the White House.

Nimda, 2001
Built on Code Red's attack system of finding multiple avenues into machines (email, websites, network connections, and more), infecting both web servers and user machines. It found paths into computers so effectively that, 22 minutes after it was released, it becamse the Internet's most widespread virus at the time.

Klez, 2001
An email virus, Klez pioneered spoofing the "From" field in email messages it sent, making it impossible to tell if Bill Gates did or did not really send you that information about getting free money.

Slammer, 2003
Another fast spreader, this worm infected about 75,000 systems in just 10 minutes, slowing the internet to a crawl (much like Code Red) and shutting down thousands of web sites.

MyDoom, 2004
Notable as the fastest-spreading email virus of all time, infecting computers so they can, in turn, send even more junk mail. In a strange twist, MyDoom was also used to attack the sco.com website, a very unpopular company that was suing companies over its code being used in Linux distributions.

Storm, 2007
The worst recent virus, Storm spread via email spam with a fake attachment and ultimately infected up to 10 million computers, causing them to join its zombie botnet.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Viruses Bad memories Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote