Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Has ebay become a rip-off?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Has ebay become a rip-off? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Has ebay become a rip-off? - 3/20/2008 6:27:04 PM   
Gem35

That's me, always a victim of circumstance...

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 31
RE: Has ebay become a rip-off? - 3/22/2008 8:49:28 AM   
Marauders

quote:

GEM35 stated: Common sense takes you a long way in life, ....

Common sense would have us believe the Earth is flat and at the center of both the solar system and the universe.  Common sense is fine, but more often than not, uncommon knowledge comes from uncommon sense.

Of course, there is always Ockham's razor, so perhaps it is sometimes best to keep it simple.

quote:

... if a deal on ebay seems fishy, it probaby is

Last month, a guy had a deal on a software item that looked really good.  He had a good rating, but I emailed him asking if the software was a full product or a demo.  He replied back that he only sells full and legitimate items, but he promptly withdrew the item because he was selling it too cheaply.  I don't think he knew that the version he was selling had a much higher value.  Sometimes asking too many questions can be as bad as not asking enough.

quote:

and be on the cautious side and find a seller with a 100% approval rating.  Simple as that, If you check their reputation and all of their items have positive feedback and a happy customer base then you are rest assured of a good outcome.

Most of the problems I have had were with sellers who had good ratings but were even better at using the buyer's rating as an extortion tool to do unethical things.  There was also the case of a seller that worked his butt off to build a great rating until the very large orders came through; then he stiffed everyone and was banned.  Ebay and Paypal charged so many recovery fees that people got about $5-$10 back on a $100 order.

quote:

It's unfair to group all the people who are out to get away with something with the honest folks.

That's a valid point.  It's too bad that ebay made being a criminal so easy for the criminals.

I still use it from time to time for small items.  Taking a $5 hit isn't the same as a $100 hit.  It still bites, but it doesn't bite as hard.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 32
RE: Has ebay become a rip-off? - 3/22/2008 10:08:19 PM   
Veldor

I've done thousands upon thousands of Ebay Transactions for almost a decade now and have had a problem less times than I can count on one hand. The biggest problem on Ebay is new buyers and sellers who just don't understand how it all works.

For those that would like to learn, Weird Al put together this little Ebay Song Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 33
RE: Has ebay become a rip-off? - 3/26/2008 3:57:16 AM   
madorosh

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

In the last couple of months, I had two bids I was winning canceled by ebay because of the seller breaking the rules, In the one item I won, the buyer took my money and never shipped anything (paypal got back my money). I've had one sucessful transaction out of six.

I've purchased a few items from ebay several years ago, but now geez, automatic bidding and ebay hiding the name of the bidder, makes it seem like a total rip-off. I find a item I want, no one has bid on it(zero bids), I bid on it on the last day at the last minute and I lose because of automatic bidding or any item I bid is out bid by an automatic bid from what looks like the same hidden name b****b

It seems way too easy for any seller to setup other ebay accounts and have them automatic bid just to jack up the price or stop the item from selling too cheap.

So has ebay become a total rip-off?

Are there better sites besides ebay?

ebay is geared towards sellers, and unfortunately, complaints about sellers will rarely result in positive action since ebay makes its money on people selling - listing fees, final value fees, etc. So they bend over backwards to protect the sellers. Most are good, some are atrociously bad.

If you want to read my latest horror story,

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/300096

There are some funny lines throughout. Seeing that she should be avoided like a "leprous hooker" made my day.

But come to that, it is lazy buyers who don't care what they pay in fees that makes ebay a poor experience, in my opinion. I was prepared to pay extortion rates on shipping, because I "needed" some out of print gaming magazines. It is what it is.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Has ebay become a rip-off? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI