Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UV development

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> UV development Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UV development - 3/13/2008 5:59:43 PM   
Al Boone

While Carrier Force looks to be an interesting progression to Uncommon Valor, it is taking us in a different and unknown
direction with its’ tactical mode. I can not help but wonder why UV is not being progressed concurrently with WITP AE.
AE will now be on a scale of 40 miles per hex. UV is currently using a scale of 30 miles per hex. I do not see where
there are great concept and code changes necessary to bring the current UV up to AE standards. AE appears to be
implementing some outstanding new rule concepts and implementations. Their way of defining hex data and use
of “modern” database practice looks to be superior to the “bug-ridden” past. Carrier Force aside, it seems that UV should
enjoy the same upgrade as WITP. Many of us do not care for the production aspects of WITP and the more strategic vs
operational aspects of WITP, compared to UV. The geographic area and scale of UV are almost perfect when combined
with the overall air/land/sea situation. Carrier Force is an interesting new game project, but I think that UV deserves its’
own upgrade as well and concurrently with WITP AE. Even though it is implied that WITP has greater sales, I think this is
because WITP development helped remove a lot of UV bugs and built on UV strengths. If UV had been developed on a
WITP foundation it would have been the “flagship” of the Matrix fleet. UV is still open to much enhancement and
development with many additional scenarios and variants.

The Japanese captured Rabaul in late January, 1942. They did not attempt any other invasions of Port Moresby or the
middle Solomons area until May, 1942. In the meantime the KB conducted raids of marginal importance on Ceylon and
Darwin, Australia, at least compared to supporting occupation of the New Guinea and Solomons area to cut off Australia
and therefore protect against Allied access to the resource areas of the Indies. Eric Beregud cites this as a major
strategic error by the Japanese in his book “Fire in the Sky”. He states that the Japanese could have easily occupied Port
Moresby and Tulagi (aka Guadalcanal) in February, 1942 with insignificant opposition. Buildup of Japanese bases in these
areas would have happened much sooner than ultimately happened. This in turn would have thrown the Australian, New
Zealand and US governments into a frenzy. A huge change in focus would probably taken place by the Allies.

The P-38 lightning could easily and realistically have been introduced into service as much as nine months sooner than
actuality. Eric Beregud cites this on pages 237, 238 and 263 of “Fire in the Sky”. Others also cite the same possibility.
Lockeed was a small aircraft company at the time and even though a prototype P-38 flew in January 1939, further
development was delayed by development of the Hudson bomber for the British (contract cash flow had priority). P-38
SWPAC introduction in March 1942, rather than December would have had a tremendous effect on the air war. The F4F
Wildcat was the only early fighter which could successfully combat Japanese aircraft at higher altitudes. The P-38 would
have dominated the 20K plus altitudes and complimented and enhanced the lower altitude capabilities, limited as they
were of P-400s, P-39s and P-40s. P-38s were actually deployed to combat zones in Alaska as early as June 1942.

< Message edited by Al Boone -- 3/13/2008 8:22:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: UV development - 3/13/2008 6:57:23 PM   
tocaff

UV is where it is and it did progress into 2 other games, WITP & WPO.  It remains to be seen just how much CF will offer other than a tactical mode for combat and some other features giving the players more control of things.  The greatest thing that could be done for UV to give it new life is a full featured editor.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Al Boone)
Post #: 2
RE: UV development - 3/13/2008 7:58:20 PM   
HansBolter

Al,

Do yourself a big favor and break your post into paragraphs of two to four sentences, or even one sentence like this one.

I realize that is somewhat overkilling the whole "paragraph" concept by keeping them so small, but it makes posts far, far more legible.

The small font size and extremely tight line spacing that are the defaults of this site makes it almost imposssible to read large paragraphs.

I typically just skip over run-on posts like this because of the extreme effort required to read them.

See how much easier this is to read?

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/13/2008 7:59:45 PM >

(in reply to Al Boone)
Post #: 3
RE: UV development - 3/13/2008 8:18:56 PM   
tocaff

Ah my esteemed opponent is showing his age. Actually he's right about font size, spacing, etc. making life easier when it comes to reading the post.

< Message edited by tocaff -- 3/13/2008 8:21:33 PM >

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4
RE: UV development - 3/13/2008 8:57:39 PM   
HansBolter

Hey show some respect.....oh never mind...you're actually even older than me!

And thanks Al, that's an improvement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Ah my esteemed opponent is showing his age. Actually he's right about font size, spacing, etc. making life easier when it comes to reading the post.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/13/2008 8:58:07 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> UV development Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI