Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Garrisoned Depots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Garrisoned Depots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garrisoned Depots - 3/13/2008 4:10:48 AM   
Michael T

This is not a bug as such but a discrepancy between the AH EIA boardgame rules and the PC version. In the AH EIA game a garrisoned depot did not force a halt a corps movement. In the PC version it does. It also states this in the manual. I think this is a problem. A garrisoned depot should not stop a corp. This will lead to gamey tactics of using garrisoned corps as a method to delay an attackers advance. The accepted way to do this was to use 'phoney' one factor corps. But of course the loss of PP's was a deterent to such play. With this rule as it stands the defender can delay an attacker by simply laying out rows of garrisoned depots with no real penalty.
Post #: 1
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/13/2008 6:28:48 AM   
Murat

Each player has a limited supply of depots. This can be countered with proper play.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/13/2008 7:09:37 AM   
Michael T

France has 8 depots. If I am France and in need of a turn or two to delay an invader while my main Army redeploys I can use my excess depots to create an impenetrable front. If depots can be used this way then a PP should be lost for each one lost to an attack. I can visualise a desperate France creating depots with garrisons all over France just to hinder an invader. How annoying would that be?

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 3
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/13/2008 6:21:13 PM   
Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: krak

France has 8 depots. If I am France and in need of a turn or two to delay an invader while my main Army redeploys I can use my excess depots to create an impenetrable front. If depots can be used this way then a PP should be lost for each one lost to an attack. I can visualise a desperate France creating depots with garrisons all over France just to hinder an invader. How annoying would that be?

It would not be impenatrable and you would be making sacrifices that balance out the the benefit. You can work out your own counter strategy but this one is fairly obvious.

< Message edited by Murat -- 3/13/2008 6:25:48 PM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 4
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/13/2008 8:39:37 PM   
Jimmer

Krak has a valid point, Murat: There is no political cost to doing this, whereas in the original game, there WAS a POLITICAL cost to doing this (because you had to use corps).

However, Monadman mentioned in the other thread that this was a game design choice they made, due to programming limitations. So, Krak, whether you like it or not, this IS the way it is.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 5
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/13/2008 11:02:26 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

I can see the difference BUT does any MP really have enough depots to do this effectively?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/14/2008 12:16:08 AM   
Jimmer

Marshall,

Only in end-case situations. The much larger limitation would be the number of cities that one owns that all border each other. One can't build depots just anywhere. They either have to be in a controlled city or where there was a corps counter.

So, my answer is, no, it really isn't a viable solution. Yes, there are some end-case situations where it might work, but then that would just be something we have to deal with. I know that whenever I am in a war, my depots come at a high premium. I'm almost always out of them. So, using them as a delaying tactic really isn't a good idea.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 7
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/14/2008 12:29:11 AM   
Grognot

In areas of narrow fronts where naval mobility isn't going to help, it might be usable.

Ex. French-Russian conflict through Finland during winter, or Russia delaying invaders near the Pripyet marshes (nasty natural barrier, due to forage value of 0 and extra movement point cost). 

Or a coalition retreat into Italy with France in pursuit -- fairly narrow.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Garrisoned Depots - 3/14/2008 1:17:48 AM   
Michael T

Well if it is an intentional deviation from the original so be it. I am just flaging that garrisoned depots can be used in a way that they were not (and probably not intended by the original boardgame designer) meant to be. I am also speaking for a group of players who do not frequent this site. So I am not alone in this regard. We will just adopt a house rule that such play is 'gamey' and ban it.

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Garrisoned Depots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI