Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Friendly soccer game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Friendly soccer game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Friendly soccer game? - 3/10/2008 10:29:32 AM   
Zap

Soccer fans take this sport too seriously

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP)—A stadium brawl at a soccer rivalry game left about 80 people wounded in the Colombian city of Cali late Saturday, 18 of them with stab wounds, emergency officials said.

Clashes broke out among America de Cali’s “Red Baron” fan club in the 82nd minute of the match with Deportivo de Cali and spread onto the field and around the Pascual Guerrero stadium.

Police fired tear gas as the brawlers lit firecrackers and tried to tear down fencing separating the stands from the field.

Eighteen people were stabbed during the melee, said Manuel Infante, spokesman for Cali’s Emergency Prevention Committee. They were treated at the stadium and taken to a local hospital. Another 60 suffered bruises and other minor injuries.

A young pregnant woman and three police officers were among the wounded, the Red Cross said.

Tensions flared over referee Wilman Roldan’s decision not to call a penalty kick against Cali. America protested the no-call, players traded blows on the field and America coach Diego Edison Umana got into the fray, elbowing his Cali counterpart Daniel Carreno.

Cali Mayor Jorge Ivan Ospina called Umana “directly responsible” for the violence and said the stadium’s stands would be closed temporarily.

Umana had harsh words for the refereeing later in comments published on the Web site of El Tiempo newspaper, but said there was “no excuse” for his behavior.

“It’s my fault, and if I have to leave soccer I’ll go,” Umana said.

Fans of the two Cali squads have had frequent clashes in the past, though less serious.

“This cannot happen again,” vowed Juan Carlos Abadia, governor of Del Valle department.

The chaos led Roldan to whistle an early end to the match, which Deportivo won 1-0 on a goal from defender Freddy Hurtado.

Post #: 1
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/10/2008 10:44:54 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap
Soccer fans take this sport too seriously

The Soccer War :

http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/sierra/soccer1969.htm

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/10/2008 2:08:09 PM   
ravinhood

Lol like Hocky fans goto games to watch the players fight or hope they do the soccer nation does the same to watch the fans fight. lol I think the reason for the high number of fights in soccer is because a lot of the teams especially in S. America aren't that far apart from each other and many of those people that goto them are from all around instead of the stadium being full of just the home team crowd. I remember in High School there was a fight every friday night after the game home or away against the other two rivals for the title every year. lol You could bet on it and always brought two suits of clothes to the game. One for fighting and one for the parties after the fights. ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 3
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/10/2008 2:26:58 PM   
Grell

Soccer fans take this game way too seriously. The manager better lose his job.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/10/2008 2:34:00 PM   
PunkReaper

In England the rivelry can be very intense. I live near Liverpool and our city has two major teams whose grounds are only separated by a small park. Most of the supporter violence has been taken out of our game especially in the grounds. Do you get many away fans at American Football matches ?

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 5
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/11/2008 3:18:31 AM   
Phatguy

We get some and yes we have drunk idiots who harass them but not to the extent "soccer' fans might. I'm not sure how the other NFL teams go, but here in Buffalo we get about 30 arrests per game and while we have our "derby" games with Miami , a significant portion of the harrasment is good natured. My best friend is a Miami fan(sad but true) and we  go to Buffalo Miami games with our wives. Never been harrassed where it led to anything worse than ribbing but it might have to do with the fact that we are both big and mean looking(our wives that is)......

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 6
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/11/2008 4:24:27 AM   
sprior

And another one...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7287154.stm

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 7
RE: Friendly soccer game? - 3/11/2008 2:49:11 PM   
PunkReaper

In a city like Liverpool half my extended family are Everton fans (the retarded half) and the other half Liverpool 5 times champions of Europe fans. When one team won a trophy it was paraded through the streets of the city and fans of both teams lined the streets. 500,000 when Liverpool won the European cup for the first time.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Friendly soccer game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI