Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Imperium Romanum : For City builders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Imperium Romanum : For City builders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/9/2008 10:33:07 PM   
marcusm

Suprisingly good. I know it's based on their earlier game but this is far
more polished and feels great. In my opinion this is the best city builder game at the moment, and all this based on the demo alone (very generous demo).

Even more surprising. The combat system is actually quite good for a city builder. It's fun and sort of lightweight total war style. Flanking is rewarded etc.

I recommend everyone interested in city builders to check out the demo.
Post #: 1
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/9/2008 11:11:40 PM   
Grell

Hi Marcusm,

Ever since CivCity Rome and Caesar IV, I have grown tired of city builders.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 2
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/9/2008 11:19:11 PM   
marcusm

I will never grow tired of city builders :).

Spent half day with Tropico today for instance. But this was a very nice suprise.
It could in fact be what gets you into the genre again, give the demo a shot. In my
opinion this is much better than either of CivCity or Caeasar4(and on par with Caesar3). It's much more immersive and attractive than either of those, plus I love the attention to detail. One immediate plus, you can build huge cities unlike those others you mentioned.

< Message edited by marcusm -- 3/9/2008 11:22:05 PM >

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/9/2008 11:23:38 PM   
Grell

Hi Marcusm,

I may try it on your advice!

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 4
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/9/2008 11:26:36 PM   
marcusm

Hard to give a definite answer based on demo alone but I am really tempted to get the full version now.
GamersGate version perhaps. Good City Builders are few and far inbetween. Sim City Societies was a joke in my book.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 5
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/9/2008 11:31:15 PM   
Grell

Yeah I can't believe EA came up with that awful simcity societies.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 6
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 12:02:46 AM   
PunkReaper

Got it.....enjoying it. Not had it long enough to have a definitive opinion yet but its looking good.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 7
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 1:18:56 AM   
Joram

Sim City societies isn't that bad.  My only real complaint is that it's buggy so crashes on me after awhile.  But the basic concept is pretty innovative and it looks gorgeous.  It's just not anything like the old SimCity so if that's what you were expecting, then I can understand your disappointment.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 8
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 1:56:23 AM   
marcusm

I think it's main mistake was being called Sim City. But I wasn't really surprised at the end
result after having read the previews.

In this game you get looting and angry mobs burning down houses if you don't deliver, this is the sort
of feedback I like :).

Still not sure whether anything can touch the original City Builders by the very same team that did Sim City societies. They seem to have lost their touch however :(.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 6:17:03 AM   
ravinhood

Is is really better than "Tropico"? ;) I haven't found a city builder as much fun as Tropico. Even Sim City 3000 isn't as much fun.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 10
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 6:26:43 AM   
cdbeck

Imperium Romanum isn't much at all LIKE Tropico, so it is hard to compare it. Tropico was less a city builder and more a society builder, which is why it was so brillant. You, as the ruler, were a character in Tropico, something that is missing in Imperium Romanum (and most every city builder). Pity, Roman era would have been great to have a build-your-own governor style game.

I played the demo, and almost bought the full version. For some reason though, I feel it is lacking something. I hate to sound like RH, but you can literally bargain bin dive and grab Glory of the Roman Empire and have much the same game (minus the slightly improved graphics engine). Scenarios aside, the game is (according to the reviewers) almost identical.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 11:18:37 AM   
marcusm

It feels more solid though. The combat is fun so it has what I need from a city builder.

It's not Tropico but then Tropico wasn't a full city builder, more an island sim :).

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 12
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 2:00:17 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

I hate to sound like RH,

Lol you HATE me? and all this time I thought we were friends <QQ sniff whimper cry QQ more>

Tropico allowed you to feel an immerse yourself into the game as more than just a city builder. It IS a city builder to an extent. But, there's so much more added to it that the tedium of building a city is actually fun and you can't wait to get the next building up and/or new types of people to come to your island. The four classes of politiques you had to contend with and even a lil wargame in it as well since rebels could tear down your structures and cause you unlimited headaches. It will be hard to create a game to surpass Tropico in the city builder and immersion level that it delivers. See I know good games when I see one. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 3/10/2008 2:02:51 PM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 13
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 8:18:22 PM   
Hertston

I'm not touching anything from Kalypso until they provide evidence they can support their games, i.e. get of their backsides and deliver the patch for Theatre of War.

Not that I'd buy this anyway. The Mrs is a big fan of 'Glory of the Roman Empire' though; in what ways is this one better?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 8:23:14 PM   
ravinhood

I thought they just patched TOW Herston? I think CM:SF is up to 1.07 now as well. Man I sure hate to see game series we enjoyed turn to ones we hate and despise. I guess the day of the turn based hexed based minatureslike wargamer is coming to an end. All these real time, pausible continous time, lol and unrealistic time games in the forefront. If I could only go back in time....Westwood would never have made DUNE II. haha

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: Imperium Romanum : For City builders - 3/10/2008 10:22:30 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I thought they just patched TOW Herston?

Battlefront did, yes. Kalypso published the UK box version and after six weeks a localized version has yet to appear.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Imperium Romanum : For City builders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI