Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Techincal help with router setup needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Techincal help with router setup needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/8/2008 6:49:44 PM   
Kung Karl

I am having trouble setting up a network containg two routers wich both have integrated modems.

I can get internet to work with only one of the routers. But when I use both witrh an ethernet-cable between them I can't get internet to work. The second modem/rout don't get internet access. I need to use both sincce the second modem/router have wireless connection and the first have digtal-tv.

How do I setup the second router after the first one hav internet access? I would like to use it as only router and not modem/router wich it is setup as now.
Post #: 1
RE: Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/8/2008 8:13:46 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I don't think that you need two switches (routers).

Could you post a manufacturer's product link to the devices, the "routers wich both have integrated modems?"

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 3/8/2008 8:19:51 PM >

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 2
RE: Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/8/2008 9:40:23 PM   
sullafelix

One router only is needed, for the computer you would need wireless card or a wireless connector that will connect to the router. Trying to use both routers together I'm not sure will ever work. Both of the routers will be trying to connect to the internet, not each other. I'm not understanding a router that gets digital tv.

Okay let's see if this is what you have. The first router ( digital tv ) is not a wireless one, correct? The second is a wireless one. Are you trying to have them connected to each other for the tv signals? I'm assuming the wireless router is connected to a computer. If that is the case can you just run the ethernet cable from that computer to the tv router, and skip the wireless one?

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 3
RE: Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/8/2008 10:06:33 PM   
JAMiAM

You should use only one router. Use the modem/router for the digital tv, and then buy a WAP (wireless access point) to connect to one of the ports of the router.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 4
RE: Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/18/2008 11:00:03 AM   
Kung Karl

Thanks for the help guys! I was assuming this wouldn't work. I guess I have to buy another router that has no modem in it.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/18/2008 7:09:23 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I have wireless router behind a cable modem. You need to hook the wireless router to the cable modem via the uplink port on the wireless router. Did you do that ?

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 6
RE: Techincal help with router setup needed - 3/19/2008 2:15:48 AM   
hadberz

My dsl router/modem is hooked to my wireless d-link router. All I had to do was set the dsl modem to bridge mode and setup the d-link router with my isp account details. You should be able to find this info on your routers/modems website. You can also look at http://www.dslreports.com/ their forums have alot of good info.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Techincal help with router setup needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI