Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help Files Not Available in Vista

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Help Files Not Available in Vista Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/6/2008 8:53:37 PM   
LeonKing

I recently downloaded John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars and as a first time gamer I looked for the Help files. The downloaded version reported that the Help files were unavailable in the Vista Operating System because they were programed in prior OS and now were not in a compatible format. Is there a solution to this problem? It seems to me that the Help files should be available if the program is marked Vista compatible.
Post #: 1
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/6/2008 9:59:05 PM   
TonyE

You can view most help files in Vista if you download the older help viewer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to LeonKing)
Post #: 2
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/6/2008 10:28:38 PM   
LeonKing

Thank you for the information. The Microsoft download worked. Is it not unreasonable to expect the programmer of Battleground Napoleonic Wars to follow the advice available from Microsoft for updating the Help files for the program? No reply required or requested. Again, thanks!

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/7/2008 12:07:28 AM   
Erik Rutins

LeonKing,

You can also find this in the tech support forum for that title here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1611548

With that said, I thought we'd included this in the updated installer so that new customers wouldn't run into that. How recently did you purchase this and download it from our store? Or was this a physical (boxed) copy?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LeonKing)
Post #: 4
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/7/2008 11:44:04 AM   
LeonKing

Erik

In answer to your question of when I downloaded my copy of John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars it was on March 3, 2008, Order Number 136156288, from Digital River. It would appear that the downloadable files have not been updated for the HELP file revision dictated by Microsoft with the release of Vista OS. I also received the physical copy on March 6, 2008 but have not tried to install to see if the CD included in that shipment has updated HELP files.

Although I have reasonable expertise and proficiency with PC's, I am very new and unfamiliar with the Windows Vista OS and with the Matrix Games community and its myriad of forums. I only recently attempted to involve myself with the gaming community and the Napoleonic Wars game by John Tiller was recommended by a potential gaming "buddy" of mine. It is for this reason that I posted this message in the "General Forum" as this forum is where the splash screen for the game leads you and not to the Matrix forum. I did try to see if others had experienced the same problem but the vastness of forum selections and my unfamiliarity with using forums dictated that I just post my request for assistance and see what happens. I do appreciate that I got an answer to my concerns so rapidly and I apologize for requiring a repeat of a previous answer. Each time that I get a reply I learn more about the game and forum community and how to get answers to my questions.

If the updated HELP files (for Vista OS) for the Battleground Napoleonic Wars game are available as you imply with your post, how can I get these updated files?

Leon

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/7/2008 4:41:17 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeonKing
If the updated HELP files (for Vista OS) for the Battleground Napoleonic Wars game are available as you imply with your post, how can I get these updated files?

AFAIK the help files are not updated - what you do is fix Vista so it can read the old-style help files. The link in the post you responded to should contain all the info you need.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to LeonKing)
Post #: 6
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/8/2008 7:04:09 PM   
LeonKing

Based on all the good information received as a result of this initial posting, I have access to the HELP files but still do not have access to "Scenario Notes (F2)" which is also listed as available in the HELP pull-down menu of the John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars game, either download version or CD.

I have been led to believe by an old and experienced "gamer" that these notes provide good information that can be printed and used as a very valuable reference when learning the games provided.

Is there a reason that the "Scenario Notes (F2)" are not provided or accesible in my downloaded or CD copy of JT's BG Napoleonic Games?

Thanks to all who responded to my previous posting and to anyone who can shed light on this last question!

Leon

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 7
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/21/2008 2:24:43 PM   
YohanTM2

bump

(in reply to LeonKing)
Post #: 8
RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista - 3/21/2008 3:34:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi LeonKing,

Sorry I missed your follow-up. As far as I know, the help file fix should resolve all such issues, including the scenario notes.

If you still can't get it working, you can always re-download from our online store. The installer up there now includes the help file fix and installs it automatically.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Help Files Not Available in Vista Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI