Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Favre Retires!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Favre Retires!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favre Retires!!! - 3/4/2008 7:31:30 PM   
histgamer

Today is truly a sad day for any NFL fans. Brett Favre has decided to call it quits after 17 seasons. Arguably one of the top 5 QBs of all time, he will be missed and the NFL will be a duller place without the excitement and passion that he played the game with.

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 3/4/2008 7:33:22 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/4/2008 7:34:47 PM   
Grell

He was a great player and he will go down in history as such.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/4/2008 8:02:19 PM   
Marauders

I am a Minnesota Vikings fan, and I am not a member of the Church of Favre, but I must state that he was a great player.

When I was a young kid, the Vikings quarterback was Fran Tarkenton for many years.  It was so strange to even see another quarterback taking snaps we Tarkenton retired.  Packers fans will go through the same thing when Brett Favre does not take the field come autumn.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/4/2008 10:23:01 PM   
sullafelix

It apparently is official as the president or gm of the Packers has annouced it. I've read a lot of the comments on different sports blogs and the one thing that strikes me is the multiple statements that he couldn't have been that good with only one SB ring. They add to that the statement that GB had such good teams during the last 17 years that it must be Favre's fault they didn't win more SBs. Now I'm a diehard Packers fan ( who sorry Brett, Bart Starr was the best  ) but I don't see the GB teams other than the year of the SB win and the next year as being that great. For the longest time we have not had a good RB. Which leads to another point that is taken against Favre that he was a gunslinger. What else could he have done during all those years with no running game. He had to put it up and to top it off the other team knew he had to put it up, and he still owns more wins than any other QB. It is very possible in my mind that given a team such as the early 1960s Pack or the 70s Steelers etc. that he would have 4 or even 5 rings. In that instance he was much like Marino and for most of his career did not have a great supporting cast ( good but not great ). 

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 4
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/4/2008 10:35:29 PM   
mmccot

This is really a suprise, I guess he called his brother and said ''I'm retiring". Said he was tired; thinking about off season work-outs, pre-season preperations. My guess is he thinks he can still play, but it is a lot of work getting ready. Going to miss the old gunslinger. 

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 5
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/4/2008 11:22:17 PM   
panzers

You can say what you want about this man. But there is no one in any sport that I have seen in recent memory whare we got the privildge to literally see on the field a man that felt like he was a kid playing a man's game. In an era where everyone seems to think that they are bigger than the game, we have this great man. So long Brett. Enjoy your retirement. You earned it and truly are one of the best ever to play this wonderful pastime of ours.
It is officially a new era in the national Football league.
As a fan that happens to be from Detroit, there is no football around here, so we have guys like Favre to look forward to. That is, of course if we didn't have to endure seeing a high school team in place of the Packers.

< Message edited by panzers -- 3/4/2008 11:25:25 PM >

(in reply to mmccot)
Post #: 6
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 12:47:42 AM   
sullafelix

Not too many QBs I ever saw ( if any ) that would high five the defender who just slammed him to the ground. I remeber all the great games he had with Warren Sapp.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 7
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 1:55:52 AM   
histgamer

I was at Favre's final regular season game vs the lions and was laughing my ass off after his 2nd TD when he slapped the official’s hand twice and then gave him one on the ass.

Sulla I have never heard more than a hand full of ignorant people say anything along the lines of Favre being massively overrated. Everyone I know even Packer haters rate him as one of the top 10 Qbs of all time. He might not be the greatest of all time, Manning may and likely will break his records, but in my eyes he will always be the best. Manning is only on pace to break his record as far as Tds go because of that freakish year with 48 TD and the fact he started as a rookie.

Favre was stuck with mediocre to good teams most of his career with average WR corps compare that to Manning’s WR corps for his 2 or 3 best years so far or to Brady’s last year. Favre had a great WR corps for two years, last year and 2004 both well after his prime. (side note it took manning more games played to get to 100 and 200 TD passes, he will break Favre’s records simply because he started his rookie season and had 1 freakishly good year)

Getting away from the comparisons though, even if there are better QB’s no one in NFL history has played the position with more heart and joy than Favre.

There may be more talented players but when compared to Favres level of enthusiasm for the game, they look like robots.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 8
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 7:23:50 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

I was at Favre's final regular season game vs the lions and was laughing my ass off after his 2nd TD when he slapped the official’s hand twice and then gave him one on the ass.

Sulla I have never heard more than a hand full of ignorant people say anything along the lines of Favre being massively overrated. Everyone I know even Packer haters rate him as one of the top 10 Qbs of all time. He might not be the greatest of all time, Manning may and likely will break his records, but in my eyes he will always be the best. Manning is only on pace to break his record as far as Tds go because of that freakish year with 48 TD and the fact he started as a rookie.

Favre was stuck with mediocre to good teams most of his career with average WR corps compare that to Manning’s WR corps for his 2 or 3 best years so far or to Brady’s last year. Favre had a great WR corps for two years, last year and 2004 both well after his prime. (side note it took manning more games played to get to 100 and 200 TD passes, he will break Favre’s records simply because he started his rookie season and had 1 freakishly good year)

Getting away from the comparisons though, even if there are better QB’s no one in NFL history has played the position with more heart and joy than Favre.

There may be more talented players but when compared to Favres level of enthusiasm for the game, they look like robots.

I could go on and on about him, but I think you summed it up really nicely.
History will show that he was a true ambassador not only for football, but for all of sports.
Green Bay was the perfect fit for him because the fans own Lambeau Field. How appropriate.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 9
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 4:06:16 PM   
Yogi the Great

I'm lucky to live in Wisconsin and be a Packer Fan.

But here is my complaint - since this came out TV and radio around here has been all Favre all the time.

The presidential primaries finally made it with a quick announcement of the results about 22 minutes into an alledged TV "news cast".  There apparently was no other news in the world as the rest of the news cast was again all Favre.
I like Favre, I like the Packers, but enough is enough.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 10
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 7:27:14 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I'm lucky to live in Wisconsin and be a Packer Fan.

But here is my complaint - since this came out TV and radio around here has been all Favre all the time.

The presidential primaries finally made it with a quick announcement of the results about 22 minutes into an alledged TV "news cast".  There apparently was no other news in the world as the rest of the news cast was again all Favre.
I like Favre, I like the Packers, but enough is enough.

Well, my friend, You could be here in Detroit with the bullshit we put on the field every sunday year in and year out.
Trust me when I say: consider yourself fortunate. It's a sad day indeed in the "sports world"
Yes the race was very interesting, but that's what the Fox network, cnbc, and cnn's of the world are out there for. All you had to do is push your index figer one time. As you can see, my other passion is football and sports, as well as politics, but only because of the enormity of this historical race.

< Message edited by panzers -- 3/5/2008 7:29:25 PM >

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 11
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 9:50:55 PM   
PunkReaper

Well my friend you could be here where we have never heard of the guy

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 12
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/5/2008 10:01:27 PM   
histgamer

Punk where you live?

If your in Europe Imagine ronaldinho just retired.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 13
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/6/2008 9:28:45 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Being from Detroit, of course, I saw that. But that's Favre being Favre. Little did I know that, that would be the last time I would ever see him playing the Lions, especially when everyone got the sense that this man enjoys the game too much for him to retire. That seemed to be the general consensus. Had anyone known, that he was about to retire, last year would have been a banner year for the NFL because he would have had a Kareem Abdul Jabbar like send off with each game he played. But, with that being said, I don't think it ever crossed his mind that he would retire. It reminds me of one our own heroes beck here at home when he retired two years ago. We thought he was invincible and that he will always be with us. He was a legend in every way that Gordie Howe was here in town and Brett Favre in Green Bay. I'm talking about, of course, Steve Yzerman. I know it's not the same. but it has very much simalar qualities. The only difference being: How many people in here have even ever heard of Steve Yzerman. That about sums it up for the game of hockey. Sad, but that's the way it is with hockey in the United States. Of course, this is hockeytown and that is definitely not the case here. But I digress, after all, this is about Brett Favre and it needs to stay that way and let's not veer off this topic at all. I was just merely making a comparrison.

< Message edited by panzers -- 3/6/2008 9:31:27 AM >

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 14
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/6/2008 2:04:37 PM   
PunkReaper

I am sorry Flanyboy.....I shouldn't have posted on a topic I know very little about.....I think what you meant to say was imagine what it would be like if Steven Gerrard retired...got the message.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 15
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/6/2008 5:05:22 PM   
Marauders

quote:

flanyboy stated: I was at Favre's final regular season game vs the lions and was laughing my ass off after his 2nd TD when he slapped the official’s hand twice and then gave him one on the ass.

Brett Favre did get away with a lot on the field when it came to grabbing and touching the officials. Randy Moss was fined for much less.

quote:

While I believe Favre was a great quarterback, he was also prone to stupid mistakes. He does hold the all time TD record, but he also holds the all time interception record. While Peyton Manning may reach the former, I doubt if he will ever come close to reaching the latter.

quote:

That is a valid point. Favre certainly had enthusiam for the game. He was fun to watch.

Brett Favre was also one of the only high profile players in the NFL that would leave the field without shaking hands after losses, and the press didn't call him on that.

Nevertheless, the upside more than countered the downside.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 3/6/2008 5:06:43 PM >

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 16
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/6/2008 5:18:39 PM   
Gem35

Being a Bears fan, Favre was a hated rival. Many a game I have seen where he dismantled the Bears secondary.
I do have a lasting image of him being beaten by my beloved Bears this past year in that windy and cold Soldier field game Dec. 23 where he admitted that was perhaps the coldest and nastiest game he has played in not counting the NFC championship against the Giants.
Out of respect I do admit he is perhaps the greatest quarterback I have ever seen, even better than Montana whom I have seen as well. All of his records support this.
WHo knows, It may be a possibility he does resurface and play again, he is only in his mid-late 30s.
Hard to imagine folks in ZEurope have not heard of him, he is the Michael Jordan of football in my opinion.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 17
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/7/2008 1:45:02 AM   
marky

football/pro sports = stupid pointless waste of time money resources and energy

(just my 2 cents)

i mean how much money is spent on them when parts of the world are starving?

even in america?

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 18
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/7/2008 5:48:43 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

(just my 2 cents)

even in america?

Why don't you do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself.
Everyone has a passion for something, so your 2 cents are not appreciated in this room.
If you don't like it, then go and cry in another room.
Maybe you need to check your manhood because football is a man's sport.

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 19
RE: Favre Retires!!! - 3/7/2008 11:42:48 AM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

(just my 2 cents)

even in america?

While I don't entirely disagree with you on this, I could make the same statement about pretty much any hobby/passion/interest you have, and be no less right.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Favre Retires!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote