Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crashing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Tech Support >> Crashing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crashing - 3/2/2008 6:24:38 AM   
jureidinim

Well I'm worried here.. All these years playing this game, designing missions and having fun - upgrade my machine - now the game crashes constantly.
I tried install from my original CD + patch and even tried the free download - same thing. Game just crashes in the middle of a battle to desktop.
I can load the autosave.. maybe get one or two more commands in, then it crashes again.
It doesn't crash anywhere else (not yet anyway) - just in battles and seems random, but doesn't let me get very far.
I guess it doesn't like something on my new PC, but i can't figure out what.

I have a:
Intel Core 2 Duo * new
2 GB Ram
Soundblaster XiFI (with updated drivers) <--- same as old system
nVidia GeForce 8600 GT (updated drivers) * new

Does anyone have this running on a Core 2 Duo? I'm wondering if the cores are the problem?? Or it doesn't like this video card?

Any ideas? I really want to play this still.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Crashing - 3/2/2008 10:21:14 AM   
LarkinVB

To make sure it isn't related to CPU switching in multicore environment, please bind the tos_ws process to just one CPU.

Start the game and switch to windowed mode. Call up the windows task manager with ctrl-alt-del. Check the process tab and locate the process tos_ws.exe. Right click this process and choose the bottom 'set affinity' option to bind the process to a single CPU. Just check a single CPU, unchecking the rest. Do this before entering the battle module. Return to fullscreen mode and play. Please report.

< Message edited by LarkinVB -- 3/2/2008 10:56:26 AM >

(in reply to jureidinim)
Post #: 2
RE: Crashing - 3/2/2008 11:26:38 AM   
Niedziak

Yup! Problem seems to be related to CPU. I have Core 2 Duo and just done what Larkin says. I made one battle for the test and finished it without a problem. Thanks Larkin :) I will post here if encounter any other problems. And I apologized about post subject above, been in beat of a ruch then :)

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 3
RE: Crashing - 3/2/2008 12:51:13 PM   
LarkinVB

Great. You can use a tool called WinlaunchXP to launch tos_ws.exe and bind to just one CPU. Create a profile, select tos_ws.exe and tick one CPU. Will make life easier instead of binding while already running the game.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinLauncherXP_d870.html

< Message edited by LarkinVB -- 3/2/2008 12:54:01 PM >

(in reply to Niedziak)
Post #: 4
RE: Crashing - 3/3/2008 4:07:30 AM   
jureidinim

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

To make sure it isn't related to CPU switching in multicore environment, please bind the tos_ws process to just one CPU.

Start the game and switch to windowed mode. Call up the windows task manager with ctrl-alt-del. Check the process tab and locate the process tos_ws.exe. Right click this process and choose the bottom 'set affinity' option to bind the process to a single CPU. Just check a single CPU, unchecking the rest. Do this before entering the battle module. Return to fullscreen mode and play. Please report.

You the man!

That worked. Thanks!

I'll try out the tool in your link.

Now I get to relearn tactics as my entire rookie squad just got beaten badly..

Thanks again Larkin!

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Tech Support >> Crashing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI