Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Prince Harry fights the Taliban

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Prince Harry fights the Taliban Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 12:08:00 AM   
PunkReaper

Am I the only one who thinks it is totally irresponsible to send a prince to Afghanistan. "He really wanted to go" was the reason given, so imagine how many soldiers were told to jump through how many hoops to make it safe for him to do so. Imagine the coup for the Taliban if he is killed or captured. I am sure he would be better off at home going to night clubs getting drunk and punching photographers. Like he usually does. As a matter of interest how many children of heads of state have been allowed to "fight" on the front lines. Couldn't imagine Chelsea Clinton in Iraq.
Post #: 1
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 12:10:04 AM   
Terminus

I think it's irresponsible that some journalist decided to break the story. If he wants to contribute to the war then that's just fine.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 2
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 12:11:59 AM   
Joram

It's a bit of a catch-22 isn't it.  Either he shirks his duty or other people have to be put in the line of fire to protect him.  I don't think you'd find it such an easy choice so the fact that he actually wants to serve and not just be a figurehead speaks legions about his personal courage to me.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 12:14:39 AM   
PunkReaper

quote:

It's a bit of a catch-22 isn't it

Not if you dont stick him in the army

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 4
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 1:42:20 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I think it's irresponsible that some journalist decided to break the story. If he wants to contribute to the war then that's just fine.

Beer!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 1:47:37 AM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Am I the only one who thinks it is totally irresponsible to send a prince to Afghanistan. "He really wanted to go" was the reason given, so imagine how many soldiers were told to jump through how many hoops to make it safe for him to do so. Imagine the coup for the Taliban if he is killed or captured. I am sure he would be better off at home going to night clubs getting drunk and punching photographers. Like he usually does. As a matter of interest how many children of heads of state have been allowed to "fight" on the front lines. Couldn't imagine Chelsea Clinton in Iraq.

As T said the irresponsible action was from the journalist who decided to break the story, why do some journalists feel it is acceptable to put our (British/US/Danish/Canadian/etc) troops at risk? Commenting on ongoing operations is damn irresponsible, I can't do it so why do the damn media think they can?

He knows the risks involved, and he is old enough to decide for himself if he wishes to take those risks. If he didn't want to be involved he could have easily left the army, but he has said all along that he wants to be involved with whatever his unit is up to. If he had been killed, captured or wounded then it would be a shame, but no more so than when any solider is a casualty. Various princes along the years have been involved in the fighting against our enemies and I see nothing wrong with this continuing.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 6
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 1:58:23 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Agreed. The point is that with his presence kept quiet he was just an 'ordinary' platoon commander (which is risky enough in that sort of environment, anyway), which was all he wanted to be. Now he and consequently his men become particular Taliban targets, so he will need (no doubt to his intense annoyance) to be removed from the front line in fairness to them if nothing else.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 2:48:16 AM   
Erik Rutins

I think it's great that he went. I agree that it's unfortunate that it was reported on before he returned.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 5:34:40 AM   
Goblin

I agree. Kudos to Harry.

Goblin

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 11:55:12 AM   
Marc von Martial

There was a time when no big fuzz was made when heirs were fighting in the first row. It was expected of them to lead their men.

He is a soldier, it s his job.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 12:37:34 PM   
Raverdave

Yup...I agree with what Marc said.  It's his bloody job.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 11
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 1:29:27 PM   
HansBolter

And now thanks to the idiot journalist he is being deprived of both his right and his oppurtunity to live up to his responsibility to lead his men in battle.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 12
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 2:08:43 PM   
Terminus

Yah... His withdrawal from front line combat has just been announced. All because some a**hole webhound couldn't keep his **** in his pants...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 2:45:33 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Yah... His withdrawal from front line combat has just been announced. All because some a**hole webhound couldn't keep his **** in his pants...

Well since he is dealing with soldiers here I#m sure they will find a way to tell him what they think of him now

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 4:02:22 PM   
Terminus

With plenty of *******...

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 15
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 4:22:31 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

(Sorry, I do not think Terminus is stupid but I agree with him. How come there is no I agree sign or thumbs up?)

I think that it is great. Plus I assume it means he is dealing with people not from his pampered background. I think it is good for him and it raises my respect for him by leaps and bounds.

Go Harry!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 5:12:30 PM   
Grell

So much ado 'bout nothin'.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 17
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 6:25:54 PM   
PunkReaper

The problem as I see it isn't with a young man wanting to fight for his country but a government that thinks in todays media age that it can deploy him secretly and safely. The British Government says it arranged a news blackout with the British media and WORLDWIDE media organisations!!! And they thought it would remain secret. If this Drudge fellow knew enough to leak it then how many other people knew.
This was something that the government didn't need to do. The risk of capture or the death of other soldiers protecting him far outweigh any benefits gained.
All this effort to get him into a combat arena when they cant be bothered to treat returning injured troops well, or to send them into action with the proper equipment.
As for him becoming a better person by mixing with the Plebs, his father still employs someone to put toothpaste on his toothbrush and he was a Royal navy captain. At least the army may have persuaded Harry not to wear the swastika to his hooray Henry parties.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 18
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 7:53:25 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
As for him becoming a better person by mixing with the Plebs, his father still employs someone to put toothpaste on his toothbrush and he was a Royal navy captain.

With the alleged state of British dental care I applaud this move!

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 19
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 2/29/2008 8:35:47 PM   
andym

He joined the Army,and expected quite rightly to serve as a Soldier whereever he was sent.It just happened that he is a member of the Royal Family.His uncle,Prince Andrew was in the RN as a helo pilot during the Falkland conflict,there wasnt an outcry then!The thing is,you join the Army of your own free will,knowing (i hope)full well that you can become a statistic of Battle.Harry did this,ok the War/Conflict has changed in the manner it is conducted due to the Insurrectionist style the enemy use,but he was trained for it and ready and willing to go.I wonder how many ragheads wouls ACTUALLY recognise him?I would have thought they had bigger and more important things to occupy their minds.As for the Journo that broke the story,he ought to loose his job and be prosecuted.Its a shame that Harry has to return to the UK because of this.At least he is making something of his military life unlike that wimp of his Uncle Edward who jacked the Royal Marines in cos he couldnt hack it!!!!

BZ,to Harry,well done mate!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 20
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 3/1/2008 4:39:03 AM   
Doggie

quote:

Am I the only one who thinks it is totally irresponsible to send a prince to Afghanistan?

It certainly seems that way.

I can understand why a British Prince with a pair of balls is an embarrassment to weenies everywhere.  Kind of puts the old "only the stupid and the poor fight our wars for us" rubbish right in the dust bin, doesn't it?

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 21
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 3/1/2008 4:59:45 AM   
PunkReaper

Its such a laugh that for a people who where prepared to commit treason and die to get ride of the Royal Family, Americans seem to love the monachy. Perhaps you would all like to come back into the fold and have a hereditory monachy as head of government, head of the church and head of the armed forces.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 22
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 3/1/2008 8:52:18 AM   
Doggie

Yeah, we know the English are a bunch of gay weenies, but we're still fond of them because they're family.

And we'll trade you Hillary for Harry any day.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 23
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 3/1/2008 10:58:35 AM   
Mobius

As someone said it is a Catch-22. Either they don't send the sons of the important people thus they get 'special treatment'. Or they do and then they get pointed out and possibly targeted by the press thus giving them special treatment.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 24
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 3/1/2008 1:24:17 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

Doggie
Yeah, we know the English are a bunch of gay weenies

Oh dear, oh dear.......

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 25
RE: Prince Harry fights the Taliban - 3/1/2008 3:10:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, this one seems to have run its course...

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Prince Harry fights the Taliban Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI