Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 10:15:05 PM   
Marauders

I guess I am not the only one who isn't pleased with Microsoft using its near monopoly to hinder competition and extort fees.

The European Union has taken action that the governments in Washington D.C. and Ottawa have failed to take.

quote:

EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B

AOIFE WHITE | February 27, 2008

Associated Press

BRUSSELS, Belgium — The European Union fined Microsoft Corp. a record $1.3 billion Wednesday for the amount it charges rivals for software information.

EU regulators said the company charged "unreasonable prices" until last October to software developers who wanted to make products compatible with the Windows desktop operating system.

The fine is the largest ever for a single company and brings to just under $2.5 billion the amount the EU has demanded Microsoft pay in a long-running antitrust dispute.

Microsoft immediately said the issues for which it was fined have been resolved and the company was making its products more open.

The fine comes less that a week after Microsoft said it would share more information about its products and technology in an effort to make it work better with rivals' software and meet the demands of antitrust regulators in Europe.

But EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes remained skeptical and said Microsoft was under investigation in two additional cases.

"Talk is cheap," Kroes said. "Flouting the rules is expensive."

Microsoft's actions have stifled innovation and affected millions of people around the world, Kroes said. She called the record 899 million euro fine "a reasonable response to a series of quite unreasonable actions."

"We could have gone as high as 1.5 billion euros ($2.23 billion)," she said. "The maximum amount is higher than what we did at the end of the day."

The EU alleged that Microsoft withheld crucial interoperability information for desktop PC software _ where it is the world's leading supplier _ in an effort squeeze into a new market and damage rivals.

The company delayed compliance for three years, the EU said, only making changes in October to the patent licenses for companies that need data to create software that works with Microsoft.

Full AP Story: EU Fines Microsoft
Post #: 1
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 10:22:19 PM   
Grell

LOL! They bloody well deserve it, the rotten scumbags.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 2
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 10:24:26 PM   
ORANGE

The European Union does not have a choice. Europeans cannot make a better operating system so they have to try to make money off of those that can somehow.

It does not surprise me at all. I wish them luck.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 3
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 10:59:59 PM   
mjk428

Hopefully MS will tell them to get stuffed and pull out of the EU market.

If it comes to war, I'm sure that Gates can field the stronger army.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 4
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:05:46 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

Hopefully MS will tell them to get stuffed and pull out of the EU market.

If not stronger at least one with a work ethic and a sense of purpose.

< Message edited by ORANGE -- 2/27/2008 11:06:06 PM >

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 5
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:17:34 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

It will probably crash and have to reboot on the way over!

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 6
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:18:47 PM   
Marauders

quote:

The European Union does not have a choice. Europeans cannot make a better operating system so they have to try to make money off of those that can somehow.

It isn't about the OS as much as Microsoft using the OS to stifle competion in other areas or extort fees.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 7
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:24:03 PM   
Marauders

quote:

quote:

It will probably crash and have to reboot on the way over!

If Gates brings the Vista army, it will be 20% slower, not know how to operate older equipment, and will have to be replaced in a year.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 8
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:36:23 PM   
2ndACR

Well, Microsoft will probably just ask them if they prefer a check, or cash. I know a couple years ago, Microsoft had like 40 Billion dollars cash on hand. Kind of hard to fine a company that makes as much as most GDP's of nations.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 9
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:39:09 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

quote:

It isn't about the OS as much as Microsoft using the OS to stifle competion in other areas or extort fees.

I am sure it is about extorting fees but it is not about Microsoft extorting fees.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 10
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/27/2008 11:48:31 PM   
marcusm

I hope HP gets fined too for forcing Vista on people.
As for suffering without Vista, yeah right ;).

OS X here I come :).

Seriously. I don't think too many here make their living as business advisors hehe.

< Message edited by marcusm -- 2/28/2008 12:04:03 AM >

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 11
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 3:13:41 AM   
ravinhood

Lol that's what Gates will do ship VISTA over to Europe and the rest of the world will get Windows 7 ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 12
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 3:22:23 AM   
tanker4145

quote:

The only one being extorted is Microsoft. Some countries are in a tizzy because they can't compete. That must hurt the pride pretty bad to know you can't compete with what "everyone" knows is a horrible OS.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 3:49:45 AM   
mack2

Dont' worry, the euros will soon compete! With Linux!

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Amazing how apple with it's preloaded software and terrible OS never gets this.

Surely their iPod needing to have iTunes to work is the exact same thing? Should fine them billions of dollars.

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 14
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 9:02:07 AM   
marcusm

Vista is nothing but a lame attempt at copying OS X features. It failed miserably.
Only people with no real business needs uses Vista today. IE slackers and hobos.

OS X for the world. Screw MS.

And Linux competes just fine, just ask the "European" company IBM.

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 15
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 4:01:00 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanker4145

quote:

The only one being extorted is Microsoft. Some countries are in a tizzy because they can't compete. That must hurt the pride pretty bad to know you can't compete with what "everyone" knows is a horrible OS.

Exactly.

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 16
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 4:03:38 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

Dont' worry, the euros will soon compete! With Linux!

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Amazing how apple with it's preloaded software and terrible OS never gets this.

Surely their iPod needing to have iTunes to work is the exact same thing? Should fine them billions of dollars.

The problem is that if you get rid of MS where does the standardization com from? A lot of flavors of Linux seem unable to agree on even the smallest things at times. Their personal pride gets in the way of what is best. Petty school girls.

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 17
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 4:57:35 PM   
Motomouse

@ tanker & orange

... some countries are in a tizzy because they can't compete ...

Sorry I have to giggle, when I see presumptive descendants of the likes that left europe cause they could not compete over here, now brawling today about market dominating american superheros from microsoft. ("Meet the fource" anyone? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/events/aa740358.aspx)

... where does the standardization come from ...

I hope not from your point of view or microsofts, I prefer the existing differences and cherish the variety resulting from social discourse

But keep trying to achieve standards by subjugating to monopoly if it fits you. One size fits it all. Be happy! I am sure your future strategy gaming needs will be fulfilled by EA.

And cause I like variety, please don´t change your mind. Thanks!

(Please be aware, that this is a totally polemic&malicious reply to orange&tanker and not a sincere posting at any rate )

Regards
Motomouth

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 18
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 8:36:15 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Motomouse

@ tanker & orange

... some countries are in a tizzy because they can't compete ...

Sorry I have to giggle, when I see presumptive descendants of the likes that left europe cause they could not compete over here, now brawling today about market dominating american superheros from microsoft. ("Meet the fource" anyone? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/events/aa740358.aspx)

... where does the standardization come from ...

I hope not from your point of view or microsofts, I prefer the existing differences and cherish the variety resulting from social discourse

But keep trying to achieve standards by subjugating to monopoly if it fits you. One size fits it all. Be happy! I am sure your future strategy gaming needs will be fulfilled by EA.

And cause I like variety, please don´t change your mind. Thanks!

(Please be aware, that this is a totally polemic&malicious reply to orange&tanker and not a sincere posting at any rate )

Regards
Motomouth

First, not everyone in the US is descended from Europeans. The ones that left Europe for the US may have left for other reasons than they could not compete. Maybe they left because they did not wish to be enslaved under a king or emperor? For religious freedom or solely because they did not wish to be part of throwing each other in human sized ovens?

The US sure had no problems competing with the Europeans in Europe in 1944-45, when going to the moon or even landing a working rover on mars.

(in reply to Motomouse)
Post #: 19
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 9:02:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

Let's stay on topic please rather than turning this into a larger discussion.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 20
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 9:12:57 PM   
Widell

I thought it sounded like fun to try to describe the logic from Columbus and the Native Americans all the way through the Civil War, WWI, WWII, swinging by Spinning Jenny, the British Car Industry, the Swedish Shipyards and arrive at a completely logic and solid argument for why Microsoft is superior to Linux or vice versa. Talk about Tech Tree and Events. What game does this fit into? AT maybe?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 21
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 9:54:12 PM   
marcusm

My opinion is that all those who talk warmly about "private enterprise" should
respect Eriks(the owner of this enterprise) opinions about not having political arguments here.

We all know where they end up.

I am just saying that my next OS will be Mac OS. I don't care what anyone else thinks.
My free choice.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 22
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 9:58:41 PM   
Marauders

quote:

The US sure had no problems competing with the Europeans ... when going to the moon ....

Because our German scientists were better than their German scientists.

When it comes to Windows, I have no problem with Microsoft making a product and selling it, but using monopolistic powers to destroy other companies trying to compete with other Microsoft products or soak money from developers is unfair and illegal.  The courts have ruled on that in both the United States and in Europe.  Of course, when the administration changed in 2001, in the United States, Microsoft was given a Get Out of Jail Free card in the final phase of their trial.  That cost consumers some big bucks.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 23
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 11:07:33 PM   
PunkReaper

I don't care whether a company is American, British or European, what I do care about is that they give the consumer a good deal and if they don't due to unfair practices, someone, even if it is government, is there to wield a big stick. Why can't they all be like Matrix, giving us a good deal, good products and great customer service. Now how about that Medieval game........

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 24
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 11:39:11 PM   
Motomouse

@Widell

I fully comply with your post

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 25
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/28/2008 11:47:53 PM   
Motomouse

@ marcusm

I fully comply with the first paragraph of your post

nobody asked, but anyway:

sincere opinion on OS: I use Linux to get my job done & some programming / Win XP for gaming / OS X for video presentations

I´ll switch from OS X to Linux for video presentations after a dvd software lockup forced me to reboot in front of a large audience recently (at last it was up and running again in a reasonable short time)

(in reply to Motomouse)
Post #: 26
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/29/2008 12:01:34 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

I don't care whether a company is American, British or European, what I do care about is that they give the consumer a good deal and if they don't due to unfair practices, someone, even if it is government, is there to wield a big stick. Why can't they all be like Matrix, giving us a good deal, good products and great customer service. Now how about that Medieval game........

You determine if something by buying it or not. Having the government step in because you think you are paying to much for "X" which is not even a necessity is asinine.

Nobody wants to talk about how cheap and available computers are because of Microsoft. Everything was proprietary and expensive before.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 27
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/29/2008 12:13:06 AM   
PunkReaper

If Capitalism is allowed to riegn without regulation and large multinational corporations are allowed to create a virtual monopoly for themselves I am afraid the world will not be a happier place. You can only determine whether to buy something or not if you are given a choice. In the case of Microsoft I believe that they are accused of using their almost monopoly position to stifle consumer choice.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 28
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/29/2008 9:52:31 AM   
marcusm

Personally I think the future is in mobile devices. I love the IPhone,
once they get 3G in I am buying it.

IPhone is so rich you can do almost any application for it.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 29
RE: EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B - 2/29/2008 4:27:29 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

If Capitalism is allowed to riegn without regulation and large multinational corporations are allowed to create a virtual monopoly for themselves I am afraid the world will not be a happier place. You can only determine whether to buy something or not if you are given a choice. In the case of Microsoft I believe that they are accused of using their almost monopoly position to stifle consumer choice.

So how is MS stifling Apple? As a matter of fact I believe that either Bill Gates or MS have invested in Apple.

There is competition out there in Unix, Linux, Apple. Just because people choose MS despite that does not make them a monopoly.

I have not tried Vista and am not looking to go to it. I have tries Linux and it is nothing special. I have not played on Mac's much but would consider one IF THEY DROPPED THE PRICE.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> EU Fines Microsoft Record $1.3B Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI