Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: New Stuff Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Stuff - 5/26/2008 12:43:54 PM   
Txema

(in reply to Panther Paul)
Post #: 121
RE: New Stuff - 9/2/2008 5:26:35 PM   
Txema

Arjuna,

I have seen in the progress thread that you have recently enabled several "Double-click" functionalities:

TT3641 - UI - Enable Double-click in OB display to switch to Unit Data Gen Tab for selected unit

TT3642 - UI - Enable Double-click on unit on map to switch to OB Display and focus on selected unit

Have you solved also the problems with the double-clicks in the "Armaments" section of the Estab Data Views?

Txema

quote:

ORIGINAL: Txema

Arjuna,

Excellent work on the Estab Data Views!!!

However to make the Estab Data Views consistent I think it would be necessary to let the player view the "Weapon Estab Data" corresponding to the "Armaments" of the vehicles (for example, the "Weapon Estab Data" corresponding to the "7.5cm KwK 42 L/70" main gun that appears in the "Armaments" section of the "PzKfW V Ausf G - Panther" tank of your example).

Will it be possible to see the "Weapon Estab Data" corresponding to the "Armaments" of the vehicles?

Please....

Txema

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Txema,

We're hoping to, but we have a problem with the Armaments control at the moment. It's not responding to double-clicks for some reason. I'm hopeful we'll have that licked before release.

Note for Paul - I told you they'd want it!

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 122
RE: New Stuff - 9/2/2008 11:49:17 PM   
Arjuna

Txema,

No, not yet but thanks for reminding me.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 123
RE: New Stuff - 12/2/2008 7:11:02 PM   
GShock

Arjuna i was wondering if COTA will be retrofitted with these new functions once the game is released.

I sincerely hope Matrixgames will also allow a small discount to those like me who own COTA and who will certainly purchase this title once it's out in recognition of the love i am developing for this engine.

Is there a scheduled release date?

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 124
RE: New Stuff - 12/2/2008 10:46:21 PM   
Arjuna

No we will not be retrofitting COTA with the BFTB feature set.

Re release date. All I can say on this is that we are working flat out; we won't release the product untill it's rock solid; sometime in 1Q 2009 is my best guess.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 125
RE: New Stuff - 12/3/2008 8:19:10 AM   
GShock

Well that's very close then....great!
I'm sorry to hear you won't retrofit COTA and I'm wondering why. At first glance it appears a worthwile effort to keep the game alive...perhaps after botb is released i hope you reconsider.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 126
RE: New Stuff - 12/5/2008 4:16:27 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz (March 2008)

A thought that occurred to me when reading that other thread referred to in post 19: Right now, you have some method when a unit disbands of transferring the remaining assets to another nearby unit. Why not do something like that when a motorized unit dismounts, but have the vehicles "disband" into either the owning HQ or base force. When the unit remounts, the vehicles "disband" from the HQ or base back to the original owner. No separate counters, just an accounting change. An appropriate "transfer delay" analogous to orders delay would account for drive time between units.

If a coy/plt size unit dismounts > vehicles go to bn HQ.
If a Bn or larger dismounts > vehicles go to base.

• 1) I stumbled over this and Dave never answered to this, I think.
    Dave, would that be a feasible way to overcome the situation where motorized inf units (for example) can't enter woods, without having to code an all-new "dismount pool" solution?

• 2) If I am not mistaken, currently, a motorized unit - which is forced to retreat/route - may very well cross terrain earmarked as impassable (for mot. units, ie. woods, walls, fortress/bunkers), with incredible speed, too.
    If that happens, it's a real pain to get a tank Coy or a PaK company back to the roads, it takes up to 4-8 hours sometimes, sometimes even days.

Is it possible to exclude let's say tank units from routing through these types of terrains?

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 12/5/2008 4:21:59 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 127
RE: New Stuff - 12/5/2008 4:48:34 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz (March 2008)

A thought that occurred to me when reading that other thread referred to in post 19: Right now, you have some method when a unit disbands of transferring the remaining assets to another nearby unit. Why not do something like that when a motorized unit dismounts, but have the vehicles "disband" into either the owning HQ or base force. When the unit remounts, the vehicles "disband" from the HQ or base back to the original owner. No separate counters, just an accounting change. An appropriate "transfer delay" analogous to orders delay would account for drive time between units.

If a coy/plt size unit dismounts > vehicles go to bn HQ.
If a Bn or larger dismounts > vehicles go to base.

• 1) I stumbled over this and Dave never answered to this, I think.
    Dave, would that be a feasible way to overcome the situation where motorized inf units (for example) can't enter woods, without having to code an all-new "dismount pool" solution?

I agree that this option could serve. However, it only addresses the minor part of the problem, namely where to hold the vehicles. What would still be left to do, and this by far is the biggest hurdle, is to make the AI smart enough to handle all the cases where an objective is impassable to motorised but passable to foot and allowing the mech/mot inf to still be allocated to that objective. Further is would need to work out when and where to dismount ( relatively easy ) but more difficult, when and where to remount. This would mean overhauling the route finding routines yet again to insert RVs at the dismount and remount locations. Then separate discreet routes would have to be calced between the start and RV and end ( not to mention any other interim locations like crossings that have to be rebuilt ).

On the bright side. I have just spent over a month doing more or less the same type of thing to get the automated bridge building to work. So once I get a spare month or too I can focus on doing this for the mount/dismount as well.
quote:

• 2) If I am not mistaken, currently, a motorized unit - which is forced to retreat/route - may very well cross terrain earmarked as impassable (for mot. units, ie. woods, walls, fortress/bunkers), with incredible speed, too.
    If that happens, it's a real pain to get a tank Coy or a PaK company back to the roads, it takes up to 4-8 hours sometimes, sometimes even days.

Is it possible to exclude let's say tank units from routing through these types of terrains?

That should not happen as the route code still calls the standard pathing routines and it should prevent the unit from enetering impassable terrain. If this is happening then it's definitely a bug. If you can give me a saved game I'll check it out.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 128
RE: New Stuff - 12/5/2008 12:15:30 PM   
Lützow

Can you convert scenarios from predecessor titles into BftB ? One thing I like about TOAW 3 is the almost infinite replay value, based on scope and flexibility. And is it possible to create and play a large scenario of entire bulge front - considering one has a fast multi-core system, able to handle this - or would the AI being overstrained here ?

I just discovered CotA and am very pleased with it, but would regret if I can't adopt older scenarios into the enhanced engine of your upcoming title.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 129
RE: New Stuff - 12/5/2008 1:33:24 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Can you convert scenarios from predecessor titles into BftB ?

For now only Western Front 1944. So HTTR is no problem (even the maps port over) and Normandy, Italy, etc.

Polish Airborne, Dutch SS, and all the funky little security detatchments from HTTR will all be included in the estabs.

quote:

And is it possible to create and play a large scenario of entire bulge front - considering one has a fast multi-core system, able to handle this - or would the AI being overstrained here ?

If you had the super computer to do this, I don't think there would be a problem since the AI will adapt to the envioronment you create for it. I'm just not sure such a machine exists yet.

simovitch

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 130
RE: New Stuff - 12/5/2008 9:19:58 PM   
Helpless

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

For now only Western Front 1944. So HTTR is no problem (even the maps port over) and Normandy, Italy, etc.

Polish Airborne, Dutch SS, and all the funky little security detatchments from HTTR will all be included in the estabs.

aha.. so the rumors about the HTTR estabs in BFTB just proved to be true..

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 131
RE: New Stuff - 1/8/2009 9:21:35 PM   
ETF

Nice indeed!

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Armor Brigade 5) Pride of Nations

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 132
RE: New Stuff - 1/28/2009 3:08:37 PM   
JMLiege

Hi.

I've take a glance at all your nice pictures, but I didn't see any screenshots (nor scenarii) about Bastogne - Noville - Foy.

Hope to see some soon.

Best regards,
Jean-Marc

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 133
RE: New Stuff - 1/28/2009 6:12:25 PM   
simovitch

There are at present 5 scenarios featuring Bastogne so no worries there. Here's a screenie from The Battered Bastards" showing snow terrain during the night time.

Note that "Easy Company" is highlighted in the woods near Foy. Unfortunately they will suffer command delays in this scenarios as they were at this time under the command of "Foxhole Norman" Dike.

Attachment (1)

simovitch

(in reply to JMLiege)
Post #: 134
RE: New Stuff - 1/29/2009 7:58:34 AM   
JMLiege

Nice.Thanks.

By the way, foxholes still exist in the 'Le bois Jacques'.
Many People often visit this wood to check.

There is also a German cemetery near Recogne.(see attachment)

PS:
I travel each day through Noville, Foy. It's why i'm so interested in those places especially.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Buret -- 1/29/2009 7:59:08 AM >

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 135
RE: New Stuff - 1/29/2009 10:14:47 PM   
Arjuna

Buret,

Richard "simovitch" and I were part of a Band of Gamers tour that visited those foxholes and that cemetry last October. Richard and his brother organised the tour of the Ardennes battlefields. It was great.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to JMLiege)
Post #: 136
RE: New Stuff - 1/30/2009 10:10:29 AM   
JMLiege

Arrhh...too bad.

If I knew it, I would invite you to have a drink at home (to beta test some Belgian biers)
and I might have test some beta version of your game on my PC...

Did you visit Saint-Vith ? there is a King tiger there.

What do you think about the refresh they made on the Sherman ?
Personally and as many people other here, it looks like a dinky toys now, not a real destroyed tank during this mighty winter offensive.

Best regards,

Jean-Marc

PS: You're still welcome here.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 137
RE: New Stuff - 1/30/2009 11:20:44 AM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buret

Arrhh...too bad.

If I knew it, I would invite you to have a drink at home (to beta test some Belgian biers)
and I might have test some beta version of your game on my PC...

Did you visit Saint-Vith ? there is a King tiger there.

What do you think about the refresh they made on the Sherman ?
Personally and as many people other here, it looks like a dinky toys now, not a real destroyed tank during this mighty winter offensive.

Best regards,

Jean-Marc

PS: You're still welcome here.

Jean-Mark - yes, too bad we missed you - it wouldn't take much to talk a group of wargamers into some (more) Belgian Beer. Duvel was my choice this time btw.

Saint Vith - we stood on a bluff just down the road from the US memorial that overlooked the Prümmerberg (which was our next stop) but we had to drive to La Gleize to see what I think is the the only Mk IVb on display in the Ardennes.

Anyway I assume that is you there up on the Geryhound Panther in Houffalize?

cheers,

simovitch

(in reply to JMLiege)
Post #: 138
RE: New Stuff - 1/30/2009 1:24:06 PM   
JMLiege

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Jean-Mark - yes, too bad we missed you - it wouldn't take much to talk a group of wargamers into some (more) Belgian Beer. Duvel was my choice this time btw.

Saint Vith - we stood on a bluff just down the road from the US memorial that overlooked the Prümmerberg (which was our next stop) but we had to drive to La Gleize to see what I think is the the only Mk IVb on display in the Ardennes.

Anyway I assume that is you there up on the Geryhound Panther in Houffalize?

cheers,

Sorry for the mistake (Bier = Beer)...it's the dutch translation for beer.

You assume well about picture, it's me in Houffalize on top of the panther.I should take a picture at night under snow. It's even more terrifying.
Did you notice the two US white bombs around the tank? It's also amazing.

Best regards,

PS: My favorite beer is 'La Chouffe', but I also appreciate 'Kriek' and 'Rodenbach'.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 139
RE: New Stuff - 4/12/2009 2:45:22 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

On the bright side. I have just spent over a month doing more or less the same type of thing to get the automated bridge building to work. So once I get a spare month or too I can focus on doing this for the mount/dismount as well.

Does this mean mount/dismount will make it into the next installment, or [dream-mode on] maybe into an update coming with an expansion BEFORE the next installment[/dream-mode off]?

Once this function is in there you'll have won back a customer (me) .

"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 140
RE: New Stuff - 4/12/2009 8:39:43 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

Once this function is in there you'll have won back a customer (me) .

For a non-customer, you sure post here often enough.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 141
RE: New Stuff - 4/12/2009 12:01:49 PM   
GoodGuy

Haha, that's why I said that, to pull your kind of humor .
Well, i don't think it's a bad thing to provide some input to make the best Matrix title even better or more accurate (historically... "fuel supplies".. *hint hint* ), so it doesn't matter whether I'm a potential BFTB customer or not. I just wish I could use a revamped engine/SM/estab for my planned Saarland scenario. So, I guess i gotta skip BFTB. I'd pay for a revamped SM/estab though .

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 4/12/2009 12:07:40 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 142
RE: New Stuff - 8/11/2009 8:56:53 AM   
Arjuna

Hi all,

We're progressing well refining things to get the scenarios working just right. I've been working on the Battered Bastards scenario that covers the valiant defence of Bastogne by the 101st Abn Div and the drive to relieve them by the 4th Armoured Divisions. The German XLVII Korps with 5FJD and 26VGD and 901PGR are trying to stave off the 4AD while storming Bastogne. So it's hell for leather.

One of the challenges for our engine has been to get the defenders to stay put in their allotted sectors. To effect this we've added some pretty neat AI Allocation code that checks for defending units that are already dug-in or better within the objective perimeter and automatically assigns them to defend inSitu. It still allows for this allocation code to be overridden if required eg to launch counter attacks.

Below you'll see a screen dump taken at dawn on D2. An enterprising German VG Bn has infiltrated its way into the perimeter during the early hours. It overan a defending Coy position, pushing the defenders back. But they didn't quite make it. In the cold light of dawn they are exposed to a chilling wall of fire. A local counter attack is being put in against them replete with mortar and arty fire support. Note also the Americans have launched an assault in the south as part of an ettempted link up with 4AD.

Attachment (1)

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 143
RE: New Stuff - 8/11/2009 9:16:55 AM   
Arjuna

30 minutes later and the slaughter takes a chilling toll on the trapped VG Bn - 150 from 402 personnel, many of them surrendering. The Germans have mounted an incursion with the 901st PGR and the limited assault by the American tanks has made headway.

Attachment (1)

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 144
RE: New Stuff - 8/11/2009 7:53:58 PM   
GShock

Q1 2k9 seems so far away... I never said that... but i think the AI you built guys is really a cut above the others given the complexity of the task. Am very curious about these new code lines for the other in situ units you described... it looks to me you're gonna go for the same path they took with the AI of VBS2 and ArmA2. 

Luckily you said so yourself... no release before it's rock solid, I wish other companies followed your example but after all, i'll be one of your first buyers anyway... so I have already decided to prize you a very long time ago.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 145
RE: New Stuff - 8/12/2009 12:24:16 AM   
Arjuna

Yeh I know it's dragging on and so does my bank balance. One of the things about developing this engine is that so much is original R&D. You just don't know what problems you will encounter until you dive into the river with the crocs ( alligators ). For instance, we knew we would have to automate bridge building for BFTB, but we didn't envisage that this would necessitate a complete overhaul of the Move doctrine to accomodate it, nor a major revision of the force allocation code. But I must say it's a pleasure to watch the AI drive on Bastogne crossing one unbridged river after another.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 146
RE: New Stuff - 8/12/2009 3:01:23 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

Yeh I know it's dragging on and so does my bank balance. One of the things about developing this engine is that so much is original R&D. You just don't know what problems you will encounter until you dive into the river with the crocs ( alligators ). For instance, we knew we would have to automate bridge building for BFTB, but we didn't envisage that this would necessitate a complete overhaul of the Move doctrine to accomodate it, nor a major revision of the force allocation code. But I must say it's a pleasure to watch the AI drive on Bastogne crossing one unbridged river after another.

Wait, you guys get PAID for this? I always figured it was, like, your community service for some horrible crime you had committed!

Seriously, though, this is looking pretty fabulous. It's rare to find games that are really doing something new and pushing the state of the art forward in the wargaming arena. I mean, getting the AI to bridge rivers on its own is no small feat--it may seem small, but it's a huge step towards the sort of virtual commanders we've been wanting to play with in our games since the old C64 days.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 147
RE: New Stuff - 8/13/2009 2:04:55 AM   
Pete W

Just a quick post to say I am very much looking forward to buying BFTB when it's released. Have only recently bought COTA and am thoroughly enjoying it, not my usual style of game but the AI is just a joy to play against. Glad to hear you're planning a demo for this release, I think (and hope) it will convince a larger audience to give your game a try - I wouldn't have happened upon it if not for Tim Stone's recommendation on Rock, Paper Shotgun, when he said the AA engine AI was the best he'd played against. I'm rubbish at the game so far, but learning and appreciating increasingly the more I play. Good luck with the release, you guys certainly deserve a good run given the effort you've put in.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 148
RE: New Stuff - 8/13/2009 3:14:54 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete W

[]...I think (and hope) it will convince a larger audience to give your game a try - I wouldn't have happened upon it if not for Tim Stone's recommendation on Rock, Paper Shotgun, when he said the AA engine AI was the best he'd played against.

After reading one of his articles in 2006, I added a phrase from Tim's article to my signature (see below :P), as that's how I felt each time I was tinkering with HTTR/COTA.

Adding the signature was also meant as a hint for Dave that he should try to enhance community acceptance, accessability and marketing (means to kick Matrix' butts to improve in that department, their marketing is.... non-existent), I dunno if Dave ever noticed that part of my signature, heehe.

Anyway, Tim's right, AA (or CmdOps) has the biggest potential in the Matrix universe, as the engine is truly unique (and superior).

quote:

I'm rubbish at the game so far, but learning and appreciating increasingly the more I play.

I recommend to check out the AARs in the COTA forum, especially the older ones with proper documentation (images). Quite some people put up some informative AARs, where less experienced players may pick up one or another useful advice/strategy.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 8/13/2009 3:21:17 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Pete W)
Post #: 149
RE: New Stuff - 8/13/2009 3:30:22 AM   
Arjuna

GoodGuy,

Yes I noticed your sig....about as subtle as a sledge hammer.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: New Stuff Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI