Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pretty good WWII movie!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pretty good WWII movie! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pretty good WWII movie! - 2/10/2008 8:58:35 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

A pleasant surprise arrived from Netflix for the weekend:

Black Book is a 2007 Dutch film set in occupied Holland toward the end of WWII.

The film revolves around a beautiful young Jewish woman who struggles to remain hidden from the Gestapo, and eventually joins the Dutch Resistance.

Yes, there is a bit of a love story in here, but it's not the central theme of the movie.

The twisting, turning plot keeps the movie going at a good pace. I also liked how it's portrayed that even though the Reich is on its death-bed, it's business as usual for the Germans in occupied Holland.

Not for the squeamish though....graphic killings, a few nudey scenes, and a very disturbing "Jackass" type scene that might make you re-taste your popcorn.

Curious what the experts in here thought of the German vehicles and uniforms...were they authentic looking?
I think maybe they used the same German reenactor group used in Saving Private Ryan. I recognized a few vehicles that looked like the same ones in this film.

Also, 90% of the film is spoken in Dutch with English subtitles. However, there are no a-list Hollywood actors in this film to muck it up.

Overall, not the most interesting war movie I've seen, but far from the worst!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Post #: 1
RE: Pretty good WWII movie! - 2/10/2008 9:57:29 PM   
Hanal

I saw the movie a few months ago. It was good but it did not leave me impressed to the point that I can remember anything about it. To be honest, it must have left a very little impression on me because I am trying to recall the "Jackass type scene" you warned about. I think I know what scene you mean but I guess I did not think much about it. Anyway, a good movie to see.........

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 2
RE: Pretty good WWII movie! - 2/10/2008 11:03:50 PM   
Ironclad

I was looking forward to seeing it and got it on dvd (at reduced price fortunately) but it didn't live up to my expectations. Good, and often gripping, for the first two thirds, sufficient to suspend disbelief but then the plot goes completely over the top. In the end a big disappointment.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 3
RE: Pretty good WWII movie! - 2/11/2008 6:32:26 AM   
Marauders

Paul Verhoeven?

Anyone who could ruin Starship Troopers has no business trying to make a film about Nazi's, because he obviously doesn't understand the subtle differences between patriotism and despotism.

The film may be good, as it has received fine enough reviews, but sometimes I have to believe that Verhoeven makes movies just so he can direct nude women from behind a camera.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 4
RE: Pretty good WWII movie! - 2/12/2008 8:54:14 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

Verhoeven makes movies just so he can direct nude women from behind a camera.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pretty good WWII movie! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI