Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WW II Naval Surface Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WW II Naval Surface Combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/9/2008 4:01:01 AM   
jeffmac

I would like to see a naval surface combat sim on the lines of SSI's old Fighting Steel or better yet MicroProse's Task Force 1942. Fighting Steel was very unstable and would crash without warning, but the graphics were pretty good. TF 1942 was state of the art in 1992 and in my oppinion was the better of the two. You could target and fire the gun s from the main director, you could con individual ships from the bridge, or you could command the whole TF from a birds eye view.
Post #: 1
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/10/2008 12:24:15 AM   
Grell

Hi Jeff,

That's a swell idea.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to jeffmac)
Post #: 2
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/12/2008 12:31:37 AM   
Hanal

I never played the games you mentioned but do the naval sim games over at NWS meet your needs?  I enjoy Dreadnaughts and Battleships and anticipating their forthcoming release Navies at War 1890-1950....

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/12/2008 12:52:21 AM   
John 3rd

I would lean towards Fighting Steel and/or Great Naval Battles of WWII.  I loved the GNB Series!

Wonder if Matrix could buy that set of games and then redo it??!!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 4
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/12/2008 1:19:50 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I never played the games you mentioned but do the naval sim games over at NWS meet your needs?  I enjoy Dreadnaughts and Battleships and anticipating their forthcoming release Navies at War 1890-1950....

I believe NWS uses a heavily modded Fighting Steel engine for their games.
How they got the rights to do that I have no idea....

But tell me, did they ever overcome the 16-ship limit per side (during battle)?

< Message edited by Juggalo -- 2/12/2008 1:21:52 AM >

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 5
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/12/2008 1:36:04 PM   
Hanal

Fleets can have 32 ships....Besides setting up interesting random battles, there are many excellent scenarios that have been created by gamers over at the NWS forum. Dreadnaughts and Battleships is a fun game to play and the developers have done a good job of upgrading it.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 6
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/12/2008 2:51:20 PM   
m10bob

IMHO the entire GNB series could only be appreciated if one had never seen TF1942.
With TF1942, you really did find yourself ON the ship, different stations on the ship, and saw islands in the distance which were duplicates of actual places.
TF1942's main drawback was that it only covered the Solomons campaign, and therefore left much room for the later battles.
The game was terrific.
(I still have Fighting Steel in its' latest improved form on my HD and owned at least 3 of the GNB series, which in the end were a shallow disappointment, compared to TF1942).

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 7
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/13/2008 5:50:04 AM   
jeffmac

How about it Mattrix? I know you guys could pull it off. Let's see a game along the lines ot TF 1942. With todays graphics and AI it would be nothing short of spectacular. It could a sim and a strategy game combined. To be able to actuallly be on the ship would add enormously to the gaming experience.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/13/2008 6:21:49 AM   
freeboy

tf1942 ws great, flares and searchlights at night wow would that look great and play great in a new xp environment, fast cpus better graphics etc....
I certainly would be buying either remake or the above

(in reply to jeffmac)
Post #: 9
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/13/2008 7:04:25 AM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffmac
Let's see a game along the lines ot TF 1942. With todays graphics and AI it would be nothing short of spectacular. It could a sim and a strategy game combined.

That's just it. The graphics and coding would be the real limiting factor, both in money and in time.
Probably not best to do it all in one go. Maybe just a N. Atlantic module to begin with. A PBEm game could be made of it too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffmac
To be able to actuallly be on the ship would add enormously to the gaming experience.

What for?

(in reply to jeffmac)
Post #: 10
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 2/13/2008 5:38:04 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

IMHO the entire GNB series could only be appreciated if one had never seen TF1942.
With TF1942, you really did find yourself ON the ship, different stations on the ship, and saw islands in the distance which were duplicates of actual places.
TF1942's main drawback was that it only covered the Solomons campaign, and therefore left much room for the later battles.
The game was terrific.
(I still have Fighting Steel in its' latest improved form on my HD and owned at least 3 of the GNB series, which in the end were a shallow disappointment, compared to TF1942).

One could also take any station on any ship in GNB II and also see attacking planes coming at the ships through the bridge windows. Not too sure why you are intnet on dissing such a great game.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 11
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 3/15/2008 9:38:28 PM   
SuluSea

Although I don't have all the ones currently available as of this date add me to the crowd that would love to see Matrix have more WW2 Naval titles and a Guadalcanal stand alone Campaign.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 12
RE: WW II Naval Surface Combat - 3/15/2008 10:00:24 PM   
panzers

believe it or not, one of the best pacific theater games I ever played was on super nintendo. PTO.
for such a simple console, that was a very detailed and complex game.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WW II Naval Surface Combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI