Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good Rome game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Good Rome game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 7:26:38 PM   
MoleRat

While I'm waiting for the new EU:Rome can anyone suggest a good Roman empire strategy game(matrix or other)?

One of my all time favorites is Centurion:Defender of the Empire(or something like that, a really old game) and although I have played some decent ones after that(like Rome:Total War) none have really had the same 'historical' feel to them.
Post #: 1
RE: Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 8:05:37 PM   
fvianello

They're not easy to find; I'm a big fan of the period and apart what you've already mentioned I think there's not much more....

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to MoleRat)
Post #: 2
RE: Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 8:33:18 PM   
sol_invictus

Legion, from Slitherine was pretty good. I'm assuming you have played Rome: TW. I was very hyped about that one but came away disappointed. Some of the mods improved it quite a bit though.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 3
RE: Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 8:43:31 PM   
MoleRat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Legion, from Slitherine was pretty good. I'm assuming you have played Rome: TW. I was very hyped about that one but came away disappointed. Some of the mods improved it quite a bit though.

That's a decent assumption as I said it in my original post ;)

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 4
RE: Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 8:48:54 PM   
mikul82

Europa Barborum for Rome TW is amazing, unfortunately the battle AI is still dumb as a brick (this was apparently a hardcoded "feature", modders have been trying to fix this crap since Rome came out).  The historical feel is incredible here though!

www.europabarbarorum.com

(in reply to MoleRat)
Post #: 5
RE: Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 10:44:54 PM   
ravinhood

The only fix to the RTW AI is just turn off morale, it's the best the AI will ever be then.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 6
RE: Good Rome game? - 1/31/2008 11:39:44 PM   
marcusm

Paradox arent exactly known for AI either ;).

I think Thibauts game would have been great if it was turn based.
He has hinted that next attempt might very well be :).

RTW was fun to play from commanders view point. Most realistic feel I ever had of actually
being there.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 12:06:20 AM   
ravinhood

True marcusm true. But, it's better in Crusader Kings since they brought in Dues Vult, well I say it's better actually what they did was stifle the player from over exploiting the easy annexing of Pagan states. You get a bad boy point for everything now and they took out assassinating your grandkids as an easy way to get rid of bad boy points. lol I used to keep all my daughters at home and have them marry the local males just to have a nice pool of grand kids and even great grandkids to assassinate and get my BB down. I shouldn't have bragged about it so much over there. Ole Johan nerfed it hahah. It was a stupid way to reduce bad boy points though and I'm not really upset he finally fixed that. But, he should have left assassinating other realms offspring or generals as an exception. As it is now it's harder than hell to do much with all the bad boy you get and only high piety (lord knows I'm not a very pious person in real life how do they expect me to be on in a GAME??!! LOL) or giving up a lot of your lands or giving back lands you conquered 2 for 1 in a war. Oh you can make bishoporics as well, but, all of them are sooooo slow except the 2 for 1 giving back of conquered lands and then just redeclaring war afterwards lol. Seems you don't take BB points for declaring wars just claiming territories during a war.

I'm actually anxiously awaiting a Paradox game if you can believe that! ROME:EU! Of course I'll still probably wait until it's really low priced in the bargain bin (love that Paradox still puts their games in brick n mortar stores, Matrixgames could take a lesson from that!) ;) I'd buy so many more Matrixgames if they would just let Amazon.com Sell them. hehe Amazon always has sales on most of their computer games at some point. ;) The guy at NWS at least offers the boxed versions of Matrixgames for the same price as their download here. So, I get a boxed game, the cdrom and a printed manual (when their printer isn't broke) for the same price as those that download from here pay. I like that. But, I'd still like to see some of those OLD Matrixgames for less than $20 like that Generals Edition of SPWAW Mega Campaigns. $60 for that is just silly too much as old as it is.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 8
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 12:11:11 AM   
marcusm

I like Crusader Kings too (only had original). Despite its bugs it is still the only game that understood
what this period was all about. Most other Middle Ages themed games just shoehorns standard concepts into this period.
It doesn't work. This period was all about the families. Just like Rome was all about City States. Designers should stop being so lazy
and try to research the subject matter more when they design historical games.

Actually Thibaut has hinted about making a Europa Universalis based on teh boardgame rather than real time. I think it would be stellar
and what I wanted Eu to be in the first place. Even though I liked Paradox attempts too but turn based is what it should be.

Anyway. Life is getting better for strategy fans :)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 12:49:54 AM   
ravinhood

Crusader Kings is like playing The Sims in the Middle Ages sortof to me. Dues Vult has made playing the wargame a bit better, but, the 3 second pause every month and the stand still no armies moves crusades are still major issues to me I don't like at all. The AI won't move through neutral contries to attack the muslims now or vice versa so when a Crusade/Jihad is called most all of them just stand in place in their provinces and never move to the crusade spot. Then there's that 3 second pause at the end of every single month to clear dead people out of the system so the save file isn't 10gazillion bytes sized and that's annoying as hell. They should have made it do it once a year when it autosaves imho. Most everyone else is bitching about the pledging in the game across the map, but, I really like that as it makes for some wild wars and saving face when you accidentally attack what you THOUGHT was a simple pagan single state and it belongs to the Byzantine who now own all of RUSSIA!! lol I was happy to see this in the game. It makes for lots of whatifs and gets away from that everything needs to be historical crap. But, just like Slitherine and the whinners about the difficulty of Spartan, the whinners over at Paradox seem to be getting at least half their way as Johan has put in some changes to the plegding system. Though it's still like I like it also. I hope he leaves it like that. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 2/1/2008 12:50:21 AM >

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 10
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 1:02:10 AM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Paradox arent exactly known for AI either ;).

I think Thibauts game would have been great if it was turn based.
He has hinted that next attempt might very well be :).

RTW was fun to play from commanders view point. Most realistic feel I ever had of actually
being there.

I have ALWAYS wanted to play Europa Barbarorum (RTW) in the "General Camera" mode, but run into major problems due to the game not having an "attack enemy on sight" command or something of that sort. This is really a problem during a siege, as your only option is to suicide your general AI style in order to give any coherent order- you can't just send heavy infantry rampaging through the gate with a "kill everything in sight" order or setting toggled, and just clicking on the city square winds up having them try to march through any enemy unit in their way without really fighting, and just getting killed.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 11
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 9:41:38 AM   
marcusm

A mix of the best from Lord of the Realms II and CK. Now that would be something to behold.

LOTR had one of the most realistic tactical battle engines I have seen to date. Even compared to MTW2.
Those sieges felt much more like how it was in real life.

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 12
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 1:00:28 PM   
ravinhood

Have you played the old "Carthage" game from about the same time "Centurion Defender of Rome" came out?

Another really really old title: "Walls of Rome".

A Newer title more recent: The Punic Wars by HPS.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 2/1/2008 1:05:19 PM >

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 13
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 2:29:43 PM   
marcusm

Yes to both but it was ages ago, on Amiga I think.

Never warmed up to HPS gaming system but I know they have their fans.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/1/2008 5:01:19 PM   
sol_invictus

MoleRat, what I meant to ask was whether you have played RTW using some of the mods. Even with the mods I never really had a good feeling that I was playing within the Ancient world.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 15
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/2/2008 1:18:13 AM   
Deride

<plug>Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar</plug>

< Message edited by Deride -- 2/2/2008 1:19:08 AM >

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 16
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/2/2008 1:47:38 AM   
jwarrenw13

I would like something along the complexity lines of Guns of August, something without mind-boggling complexity, but something that makes you feel like things are happening in the period.  Obviously the time scale of GOA is all wrong for a Rome game, but in very general terms something that feels like GOA.  In fact a Napoleonic GOA would be interesting, too.  I just thing Frank got it right with GOA. 

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 17
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/2/2008 8:07:33 AM   
Hidde

[/quote]<plug>Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar</plug>[/quote]

I wrote the following in the JC-forum but not many readers there so here it is:
Me too, miss the Tin Soldiers games very much. To think of what further development of campaign and/or other theaters of war could have produced brings tears to my eye(almost).
I've been thinking of the fact that the old Talonsofts games have been worked on by a team from Matrix and then re-released. I haven't followed that development very much and maybe the games only had graphic updates and xp/Vista compatibility added. Maybe a stupid idea but couldn't a team outside of Koios make for example an editor as was suggested in another thread?
Please..

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 18
RE: Good Rome game? - 2/3/2008 4:43:30 AM   
WallysWorld

Bouis' mod for Rome: Total War makes the game much more interesting and a lot harder to play as Rome. It only works with Rome Total War: Realism 5.4.1 mod and not the newest Realism mode release.

(in reply to Hidde)
Post #: 19
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/4/2008 11:44:20 PM   
PunkReaper

The demo of Europa Universalis: Rome has been released. This is the game I have been really excited about. Downloaded game...looks great but moves soooo sloooow.. Everytime I make a move the whole map redraws making the game unplayable... Kind of puts me off getting the whole game. Aaaaaagggghhhhhhh

(in reply to WallysWorld)
Post #: 20
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/5/2008 12:08:33 AM   
marcusm

Probably driver issues, works great here.

I have a 7900GS.

This is by far the best they have done. They did the smart thing and brought in the best from CK. Their best game imo. Sure it has bugs but it plays great for me.

< Message edited by marcusm -- 4/5/2008 12:09:23 AM >

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 21
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/5/2008 12:13:51 AM   
PunkReaper

Thanks...knowing you are sitting there playing this demo brings tears to my eyes

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 22
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/5/2008 12:16:45 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

The demo of Europa Universalis: Rome has been released. This is the game I have been really excited about. Downloaded game...looks great but moves soooo sloooow.. Everytime I make a move the whole map redraws making the game unplayable... Kind of puts me off getting the whole game. Aaaaaagggghhhhhhh

Didn't you read Johan's statement Punk Reaper? You have to download the very LATEST DX 9c drivers from just recently as November of last year. He said it's included with the game but NOT THE DEMO. Thus you'll have graphic issues, slow downs and crashes without it. It's 64mb btw.

Here I'll be nice to you AGAIN! lol Go Here for the Runtime Dx9c patch or update whatever it is lol

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/5/2008 12:19:09 AM >

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 23
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/5/2008 12:18:57 AM   
PunkReaper

thought I already had it ....but I'll check ... thanks RV

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 24
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/5/2008 10:39:24 PM   
PunkReaper

Everyone can stop worrying now....Thanks to Ravinhood and reading the installation instructions it now works well. Looks good can't wait for the full game to be released.

(in reply to MoleRat)
Post #: 25
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/5/2008 11:27:35 PM   
ravinhood

Lol glad I could help PR. ;) I do "read" a lot, but, lately I've grown tired of reading manuals and I used to love reading manuals. I think that's why I don't play as many games so much anymore. I have to pull out the manual to get the rules of play back in my head. You have any idea what it's like to have over 500 game rules and manuals in your mind ?? ;)

I think this is why people shouldn't own more than oh 10 games at most. When you have so many like I do do you realize how hard it is to decide which one to play? ;) haha

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 26
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/6/2008 12:04:20 AM   
PunkReaper

My rule is read the book .....play the game......watch the film.......dress up...oops forget the last bit

(in reply to MoleRat)
Post #: 27
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/6/2008 1:27:00 AM   
marcusm

Still wish they would give up their resistance against tutorials. This game really needs one.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 28
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/6/2008 2:20:17 AM   
ravinhood

I understand the demo really needs one Marcusm, not sure if the whole game will have one or not. I don't recall a tutorial in any of the Paradox games though come to think of it.

It's kinda funny Matrixgames doesn't have many demos but I believe most of their games have some form of tutorial? And Paradox games have plenty of demos and no tutorials? ;)

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 29
RE: Good Rome game? - 4/6/2008 3:32:52 AM   
marcusm

HOI2 had some but they were pretty basic. The Wiki was more efficient :).

Still. They should realise that there are more than hardcore followers buying these games.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Good Rome game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI