Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 12:25:03 PM   
JudgeDredd

And that's another point Mr Ravinhood, on the subject of HTTR/COTA. So you want creativity, and yet you slate the engine, with no valid reason.

The Panther Games set has a great many apsects to the gameplay which are not in any other games, and still you bitch and whine. They even created a game in a theatre previously unvisited recently by WWII that I know of (Greece) and still the same bitching and whining.

Me thinks the old saying "You can't please some people" is very applicable in your case.

Why don't you just go and play your 1982 games on your Windows 3.1 DOS 5 operating system. I really don't care for your bitching in every thread.

I for one see some great games and some great developers out there. The fact that a game is the next in a series of games doesn't necessarily mean it is the same old same old. Just because an RTS game is released, doesn't mean it's the same old same old. ToW plays very, very differently to Company of Heroes...but they are both great games in their own right.

I didn't like the Codename Panzers games. I didn't get on with the gameplay. But I don't shout "I don't like kiddie clickfests" either...and therein lies the difference. I can be objective...you cannot.

And by the way, one of your loves, TC2M is, in fact, an RTS. It's not what you bitch about that gets my goat...it's the pidgeon holing you do. And it's very selective ..." I HATE RTS blah blah blah...I Love TC2M blah blah blah"

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 61
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 1:03:09 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I think you'll find Call of Duty 4 is an exceptional piece of work.

The single player game is outstanding with an engrossing storyline, some very exceptional twists, fantastic gameplay, superb animations and a cinematic feast.

I was bored with Call of Duty by the second inning, but CoD4 was exceptional and worth every penny. I've already played the single player game through twice and I've started again. I also play it online as part of a clan and I must've squeezed in somewhere in the region of 40 hours. That's less than £1 an hour and there is still more in it. I'm still not bored of the game because the entire package is so engrossing.

I would suggest that games can be repackaged but reinvigorated also, just like CoD was.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand any of that, because you do like your pidgeon holes. A bit like suggesting HTTR/COTA is a "kiddie clickfest" when it is quite clearly not. Oh, and that is using your own definition where you suggested it was the kind of game that didn't give you time to think and everything was moving faster than your hand could...and as we all know, HTTR/COTA are pausible and you can give orders during the pause...so you are not overwhelmed.

And as for this
quote:

Originally posted by ravinhood
Koios was moving in a new direction and then Matrixgames ruined them

You have proof that Matrix ruined Koios? Want to share?

I have a suggestion that might sound reasonable. You already know rh gives you the green dot treatment, then why not type responses to him in that manner? It looks a bit silly to ask him questions you know he won't answer. The alternative would be to address his issues as though he isn't listening, as though you are speaking to US instead. IOW, When you counter a point of his, don't do it in the manner that you are directly talking to him, but as if he's afar off, such as "Rh knows this will never work" instead of "Rh, why do you claim this works?". If you counter any of his points to address the points raised alone, then I think it's a good way to do it, but completely unusal, but to do it as you're doing now, is to take advanatge of the fact he is green dotting you and just looks fairly silly to a few of us I would imagine. Why address questions to a guy who isn't hearing them. If you address the questions to us instead you might get a response in turn. Besides, think of the torture value me even posting this must have, as he can see it (not trying to torture you rh). When people respond to your points that he made, then it could get pretty strange and torture him all the more, but then this whole situation is pretty strange anyway.

I am also curious how you have a list for which he is the only member, much like his, only I don't really know what your's means, while his is quite clear; since you are obviously seeing his posts anyway.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 62
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 1:44:42 PM   
JudgeDredd

You know what Charles...you are correct. It is very silly. Why do I let his posts wind me up so much? Because of his manner of posting. Because of his "inserted smilies" (which he still hasn't learned to do properly after 3000+ posts) apparently make his posts "acceptable" for some reason. Because he brings out the child in me.

I have repeatedly, on these very boards, agreed with him on various topics, but as soon as I disagreed with him, I wasn't allowing him his opinion. Eventually, he "publicly" green dotted me because I called him on something that he had forgotten about.

Before Christmas, I publicly apologised to the **** on these very boards and still I found his "little digs" in his posts.

Orange, by the way, who is also on his list simply did this...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1672857&mpage=2&key=
and read Oranges post (#43)

I'm done on these boards. His **** gets on my wick and I don't see why I should add that to my life. I have a perfectly good life and everytime I read his crap, he just pisses me off. He brings out the bad in me, and I don't need it. He's the kind of person if you met in public you would just belt. He the kind of bastard that won't give the kids their ball back.

And I'm not throwing my dolly out the pram either, Charles. You've just made me see the light and for that I thank you...I'm wasting my life on here reading his crap and replying to it because everyone else apart from the few he irritates thinks the sun shines out his arse. I said before I was staying away from the General Discussion forum and I made the big mistake of coming back.

He's a cantankerous old git and he infuriates more than me.

As for my signature, it was a childish response to his. As it happens, I think it's ****ing ridiculous that he can single people out on his signature. I used that to do the same in the hope that the mods would've seen it (his or mine) and had words to have them cleaned up. It appears that one is able to single out individuals as long as it's in your signature. Sure, it's not "offensive", but it basically shows people that he is ignoring people, and that would suggest that it's because they are not worth listening to, ergo, it is, indirectly, an attack on character. He gets away with spouting **** all the time and I've ****ing had it with his crap.

Goodbye and enjoy.
Love to you all apart from "some" people...isn't that how the little digs are done?

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 63
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 2:19:18 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Ultima 7, Parts one & two was the absolute best solo RPG ever created. When the oppurtunity to adventure in the world of Britannia came along I jumped with both feet and spent 4 years as the Captain of the Yew Militia on the Atlantic shard. I still look back on that as a Golden Age.

p.s. Origins motto/mission statement WAS "We create worlds" or something to that effect!

I would add Ultima 6 too.....The Black Gate. I still remember the intro, with the Guardian talking to you and that wonderful dark background music. Ahhhh, that was an RPG game, you could stay for days in a town just cooking and selling cakes.

And yes, Ultima Online gave me some of the greatest moment of my gaming life. You probably remember SSJ and LLTS from Atlantic shard.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 64
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 3:08:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

What we have are cloneagins. Those that just copy what someone else has done and put a new graphics face on the package and a new title and that's it. If you've played one RTS game of today you've played them all. Same with FPSers oh they add a bit of this or that, but, the BASIC concept is still the same as 17 years ago when doom came out.

I could say same about most of hex wargames. Major difference is scope: tactical, operational and strategic.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 65
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 3:10:41 PM   
Sarge

quote:

You know what Charles...you are correct. It is very silly. Why do I let his posts wind me up so much? Because of his manner of posting. Because of his "inserted smilies" (which he still hasn't learned to do properly after 3000+ posts) apparently make his posts "acceptable" for some reason. Because he brings out the child in me.

I have repeatedly, on these very boards, agreed with him on various topics, but as soon as I disagreed with him, I wasn't allowing him his opinion. Eventually, he "publicly" green dotted me because I called him on something that he had forgotten about.

Before Christmas, I publicly apologised to the **** on these very boards and still I found his "little digs" in his posts.

I'm done on these boards. His **** gets on my wick and I don't see why I should add that to my life. I have a perfectly good life and everytime I read his crap, he just pisses me off. He brings out the bad in me, and I don't need it. He's the kind of person if you met in public you would just belt. He the kind of bastard that won't give the kids their ball back.

And I'm not throwing my dolly out the pram either, Charles. You've just made me see the light and for that I thank you...I'm wasting my life on here reading his crap and replying to it because everyone else apart from the few he irritates thinks the sun shines out his arse. I said before I was staying away from the General Discussion forum and I made the big mistake of coming back.

As for my signature, it was a childish response to his. As it happens, I think it's ****ing ridiculous that he can single people out on his signature. I used that to do the same in the hope that the mods would've seen it (his or mine) and had words to have them cleaned up. It appears that one is able to single out individuals as long as it's in your signature. Sure, it's not "offensive", but it basically shows people that he is ignoring people, and that would suggest that it's because they are not worth listening to, ergo, it is, indirectly, an attack on character. He gets away with spouting **** all the time and I've ****ing had it with his crap.

Goodbye and enjoy.
Love to you all apart from "some" people...isn't that how the little digs are done?

Matrix forum rules don’t apply to Ranthood, for some reason he can openly brag about his little “User Group” where one individual purchase a title and the whole group enjoys at no cost.

As for Ranthoods personal attacks on members and their families combined with profanity as you linked above are just one examples of Rant’s contributions to the community and his mentality .

The guy is a disturbed miserable individual and uses Matrix as his platform .

That’s Matrix problem , try not to make it yours Judge

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 66
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 3:32:59 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

quote:

Ultima 7, Parts one & two was the absolute best solo RPG ever created. When the oppurtunity to adventure in the world of Britannia came along I jumped with both feet and spent 4 years as the Captain of the Yew Militia on the Atlantic shard. I still look back on that as a Golden Age.

p.s. Origins motto/mission statement WAS "We create worlds" or something to that effect!

I would add Ultima 6 too.....The Black Gate. I still remember the intro, with the Guardian talking to you and that wonderful dark background music. Ahhhh, that was an RPG game, you could stay for days in a town just cooking and selling cakes.

And yes, Ultima Online gave me some of the greatest moment of my gaming life. You probably remember SSJ and LLTS from Atlantic shard.

The Black Gate was Ultima VII. It was Ultima VII Part 1 and the Serpent Isle was Ultima VII Part 2. I really can't speak about the earlier Ultima games as I didn't discover the series until the Black Gate.

SSJ doen't ring a bell, but LLTS sounds vaguely familiar. I was one of the RPers who was also heavy into PVP. If you were around at the time I was the one who dreamed up and organized the big one day battlle event that was called The Caravan War where somehwere close to 400 people particiapated in the battle. Later I worked with Grimrick (who became a good friend and we both moved on to DAOC and built a guild there of over 300) to establish the political district system that the RPers used as a basis for wars and skirmishes.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 1/31/2008 3:39:02 PM >

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 67
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 3:38:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge
Matrix forum rules don’t apply to Ranthood, for some reason he can openly brag about his little “User Group” where one individual purchase a title and the whole group enjoys at no cost.

I think some of you need to realize that we don't actually have time to read every post on these boards. It's just a fact of life. Even when you see me post in a thread, it doesn't mean I've read every previous post in that thread. I guarantee you that there is no partiality to Ravinhood vs. Judgedredd or another user here. We try to be as fair as we possibly can. If we miss things, it's 95% of the time because we didn't see them and 5% of the time because we may have a different perspective on what crosses the line or doesn't. I realize that not having the time to read every single post can make us appear unfair because we miss context, but we're relying on users to inform us if a poster is crossing the line repeatedly and we're not noticing it.

What's this about a software-sharing group?

quote:

As for Ranthoods personal attacks on members and their families combined with profanity as you linked above are just one examples of Rant’s contributions to the community and his mentality .

I haven't seen Ravinhood go out of his way to attack members or their families, but I've seen him get personal in his occasional rants and when I've seen that I've given him a warning, as I did recently here in another thread. He's on a shorter fuse than most and generally more cantankerous than most, but I haven't seen him as a dedicated troll to date.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 68
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 3:43:55 PM   
fvianello

quote:

The Black Gate was Ultima VII. It was Ultima VII Part 1 and the Serpent Isle was Ultima VII Part 2. I really can't speak about the earlier Ultima games as I didn't discover the series until the Black Gate.

Right! Ultima VI was "the false prophet"

LLTS was known as "The Syndicate", probably the biggest guild in Atlantic. SSJ had the best PvPers I remember of: Vegeta, Gohan and such.
I can't remember The Caravan War event, but I remember the good reputation of the Yew Militia; nice bunch of fellows.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 69
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 3:51:04 PM   
marcusm

The problem as I see it, is that too many threads become debates for/against Ravinhood.
Ganging up on individuals is not much nicer than ranting.

Just ignore if something bothers you.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 70
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 5:18:29 PM   
TonyE

quote:

It's simply amazing what fond memories we all seem to have of that era and the games we played.

, funny that I'm still playing the "same" game, Harpoon. Except today in HCE the game doesn't crash at least once per session, I don't have to load some more TSRs high (though that was half the fun wasn't it, free up enough memory to play that next scenario!), and it is so much closer to the game it was meant to be (yes, it'd take at least another 20 years to get it there). I guess I'm lucky to have it both ways, the ancient game I loved, and to keep it moving forward, and we do discuss how not to ruin that magic of the original (even if we honestly have no idea what that magic is, we just know it is there to be lost).

Speaking to other comments in the thread, yes, I bought Lego Star Wars II and think it is great fun, especially watching the characters build the piles of Legos into something they use. There is something catching about the game Defcon, top notch game, haven't tried Darwinia. WitP is awesome, maybe in retirement if there is a computer that still runs the game then I'll actually get to play the entire war.

As for emulator horrors, Rescue Raiders on Apple IIe emulator still captures me for hours at a time, and last year I even found out that you can save your progress! We used to leave the IIe on and paused for days as we battled thru the stupid game (my brother would often be in charge of the ground operations while I flew the chopper).

Well, RPG's never much attracted me (outside of Zork), so I'll shut up now

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 71
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 6:37:07 PM   
MoleRat

Give us a new Steel Panthers and all is well again

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 72
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 10:27:06 PM   
cdbeck

In many ways, I regret starting this thread, because of the stuff that has spilled over into it. I should have figured this, because the topic was inflammatory and was bound to ignite opinions on many sides of the fence.

What has been said has been very interesting though, so I don't regret the cordial entries that followed my OP. The problems arise by no one's fault but my own - I have been here long enough to realize that threads like these inevitably lead to infighting over heated opinions.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to MoleRat)
Post #: 73
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 1/31/2008 10:40:53 PM   
ravinhood

Not at all SOM it was an excellent topic. I enjoyed it. ;) Some people can have discussions and some people just want to argue or attack someone. If you just green dot them as I have you don't see the attacks. Apparently something BIG happened though for Erik to say what he's said. I just wish we could all get along and have our "opinions" without others taking offense. Attack an opinion not the person. You and marcusm and a few others have been having great discussions and even debates over issues with me and not one attack of person has come out of it. We won't always agree, but, there's no reason to stoop to name calling or trolling. ;) I'm just that type of person that takes the glass is half empty approach to gaming these days and wish others to prove to me it's really half full thas all. If a game is really good or great you'll definitely hear it from me, but, not "every single game" matrixgames makes or publishes is good or great to me. lol Sorry Erik, but, I'm just being truthful. ;) I wonder how many people read their posts again before posting them?? I know I do and I've deleted many because they didn't quite sound right or what I wanted to say. Try it sometime. ;) I did let a post go that sounded or appeared like I was calling everyone that played RTS games a kid or brainless. It just came out wrong and I didn't reread that one for some reason. But, I did apologize for that particular post. One first has to understand what I mean really by kiddie clickfest and romper room games as I explained in a later post. ;)

But, don't stop creating topics SOM you do just fine and none of this is your fault. Don't blame yourself for others personalities. ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 74
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 12:14:56 AM   
marcusm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

In many ways, I regret starting this thread, because of the stuff that has spilled over into it. I should have figured this, because the topic was inflammatory and was bound to ignite opinions on many sides of the fence.

Hardly your fault that some people refuse to stick to the topics at hand. I am here to discuss the games(preferably war/strat), not the merits of myself or others. Seems other has different agendas. My suggestion to them is to stick to discussing the games and leave the rest for Messenger or similar.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 75
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 3:23:21 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

I'm disappointed with AGEOD as BOA had some originality and pleasant to play. The engine seemed ideal for a series of similar scaled games on interesting, less known conflicts - Thirty Years War, English Civil War, Crimea, Franco-Prussian etc. Instead it's turned into a monster to rival WITP in terms of being not playable without devoting your life to it. Not just aimed at AGEOD, but these are hardly games any more. In fact they're hardly simulations, they seem to be mainly historical re-creations.

Couldn't agree more. My sentiments exactly and that horrible combat engine to go along with it. ;)

I think the following is also going to be a part of my sig. This is the OLD Battlefront philosophy as you can tell from their two newest rts clickfests TOW and CM:SF

quote:

CMBB manual, pg 8:

“Action in CMBB is paused to allow for player input. We feel it is conductive to players’ development of thoughtful and realistic strategies, rather than the “click fest” that some fully “real time” games 'have' become.”

and the following is why rts can't work with a wego system:

quote:

CMx2 SUCKS!!!
It's a real time engine, where big battles are a pain in the ass.
His WEGO support is nothing more than a realtime version with automatic pause. Lots of WEGO features were thrown out the window with CMx2 design.

CMx2 based on WWII, is not going to be much better than a Theatre of War edition... Tactical AI sucks in real time designs. a Core WEGO design can be much better with Tactical AI, since WEGO has no time constraints to the Tactical AI use of CPU.
WEGO = good results
Real time = crap Tactical AI

Keep in mind the above I didn't say just quoting another furious forum member of battlefront who is unhappy with the current version of CM:X2

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 2/1/2008 3:50:54 AM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to hazxan)
Post #: 76
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 6:34:53 AM   
cdbeck

I guess I shouldn't have been overly dramatic above, I just did not want my thread to bo one where people really get upset, and the topic is very conducive to heated disagreement.

Now I don't agree with RH and the whole "clickfest" argument. I do agree that Turned Based has its place in serious wargames and I don't think that Real Time lends itself to the type of time needed to really form a strategy using the very detailed variables involved. Now I don't count CotA or Europa Universalis as RTS - I view them more as a WEGO system - as I NEVER actually plan moves without pausing first (in fact, in both CotA and EU I give almost all my orders while paused... which is part of the reason I hardly ever finish an EU game).

RTS has its place too, though. I am pretty excited about the upcoming Sins of a Solar Empire by Stardock, as it offers the exploration gameplay I was talking about, merged with empire building, epic RTS battles, and a Civ style tech tree and diplomacy. Think EU in space. The RTS battles are slow enough that you can zoom out, take care of something else (maybe even another battle) and zoom back in. You don't need to micromanage your troops, only the capital ships and their special powers (for full effect - you can actually put the special powers on auto fire and forget these too).

I like fast paced RTS games as well, but I can see why RH does not like them. I view them in the same light as an Arcade game, visceral, reflex-based, and full of eye candy. World in Conflict was a good example.

In fact, I can't say that there is any GENRE of game that I dislike, only the execution. I am not a sports fan, but there are some sports games (the unlikely looking MLB Power Pros for Wii is excellent on all levels) that I like, adventure games are nearly dead, but I was intruiged by the Lovecraft inspired Sherlock Holmes and the Awakening, RTS, RPG, FPS, Wargames - I like them all. I even love spreadsheet style econ sims like Port Royal. The catch is that developers need to keep these fresh.

In some ways this is why I have spent nearly 70% of my gaming time on smaller or indie developers in the past two years. Kerberos (Sword of the Stars), Stardock (GalCiv2), Soldak, Introversion, and of course Matrix - I feel that these companies are best preserving some of the "feel" of the classic games while updating them enough for our modern age. Many of these developers prize building a world to play in - look at how innovative Darwinia was, or how detailed the backstory of Sword of the Stars (a 4X game) got. I just haven't seen this much with EA games, Atari, or others. The SupCom line was interesting, but a bit hackneyed. I like Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, but they draw heavily from their source material. Neverwinter Nights 2 is core same-old-same-old D&D all the way. Hellgate: London was Diablo set in England. Origin did used to "build worlds.." but Origin declined and went the way of the dodo.

And Lord British... he sold out to MMORPG's (Tabula Rasa). Again, I decry having to pay a monthly fee to get access to a decently crafted world. Give me innovation, story, and workable mechanics out of the box...

And I hope everyone can calm down and work together in the future. Some of you elders need to just step back and put things into perspective. The younger of us, like me, came here because of the great conversations that you all were having. We want to see that continue, we don't want to see you all go. Personal squabbles need to be forgiven or ignored - why deprive the rest of us the pleasure of your conversation due to trouble getting along with one or two people? For every one person that you disagree with, there are ten more that look up to you, ten more that laugh, think, muse, and are educated by what you have to say. This isn't directed at one person in particular, just all of those that make this board great, all of us that stick around and chew the fat. I'll be honest, I'm in school, far from boyhood friends and family, often too busy to go out and mix it up with other students (who are also too busy). But I come here and I find kindred spirits, and for a little bit, I feel like I am in a bar tipping some brews, or in a basement rolling the dice over a boardgame. Life is too short to stay mad and to take things too seriously. That's my two cents... and now I'm going to go do something manly to offset this outpouring of emotion...

SoM

SoM

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 77
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 10:09:08 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

Goodbye and enjoy.

Very interesting perspective JD. You may be doing the correct thing there, but I don't think rh confines his, technique, shall we call it, to just the general forum. I know what I said got you to thinking more about this overall, but all I was suggesting on the face of it was to treat his posts differently, becuase I really thought that was the point of you posting, to counter his points with the rest of us. There was a period where you were so reactionary that you did seem to almost literally counter every thing he posted. Notice I said you seemed to do that. You're not like that now. Maybe you ought to try on the cloak I am offering you though, where you counter his points occasionally but without addressing him whatsoever. I think it could prove quite interesting, because I have never seen such a thing done before in a forum and who knows what it could blossom into? Imagine, some of us are talking to you about the points you made about his points, and some of us are posting to him, while others are posting to both. Imagine that for all of us that quote you, he gets to see what you posted whether he likes it or not. All in all, sounds like an interesting environment, thoughnot without risks I would assume.

I also have some people greened out, but interestingly enough they haven't the slightest idea I have them so. Also, I don't think I have ever greened anyone out because they have proved to be a great irritant at one time or another. For some strange reason, though I may not ever post to them again, I find them mostly amusing, but even amusement can make good points at times. No, I green them out when they display graphic content on an avatar, or otherwise, which I find objectionable, and there are at least 3 or 4 of us who meet that description.

On the Orange thing? Simply hilarious. I thought rh must had been hitting the bottle on that one. Intoxicated then or not, he does enjoy his showboating and that was one of his more master strokes.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/1/2008 10:21:41 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 78
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 10:28:04 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Not at all SOM it was an excellent topic. I enjoyed it. ;) Some people can have discussions and some people just want to argue or attack someone. If you just green dot them as I have you don't see the attacks. Apparently something BIG happened though for Erik to say what he's said. I just wish we could all get along and have our "opinions" without others taking offense. Attack an opinion not the person. You and marcusm and a few others have been having great discussions and even debates over issues with me and not one attack of person has come out of it. We won't always agree, but, there's no reason to stoop to name calling or trolling. ;) I'm just that type of person that takes the glass is half empty approach to gaming these days and wish others to prove to me it's really half full thas all. If a game is really good or great you'll definitely hear it from me, but, not "every single game" matrixgames makes or publishes is good or great to me. lol Sorry Erik, but, I'm just being truthful. ;) I wonder how many people read their posts again before posting them?? I know I do and I've deleted many because they didn't quite sound right or what I wanted to say. Try it sometime. ;) I did let a post go that sounded or appeared like I was calling everyone that played RTS games a kid or brainless. It just came out wrong and I didn't reread that one for some reason. But, I did apologize for that particular post. One first has to understand what I mean really by kiddie clickfest and romper room games as I explained in a later post. ;)

But, don't stop creating topics SOM you do just fine and none of this is your fault. Don't blame yourself for others personalities. ;)

Yes, I will admit, that with your posting tendencies, it appeared the kiddie clickfest comment was just not worded as clearly as you usually put it. I knew what you meant, but your tendency towards flamboyancy of a sort, combined with your probably growing somewhat tired of being an anti-clickfest crusader and having to continually restate it, can often lead to poorly phrasing it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 79
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 4:58:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ravinhood,

Thanks for changing your sig and explaining your thoughts further, I appreciate the effort.

Fundamentally, I think calling games you don't like a "clickfest" while leaving out the "kiddie" part makes your point without insulting other gamers who may enjoy them (as "kiddies") and also share some of your own favorite games. It can be very easy to insult people without intending to on the internet, much easier than in real life, so you have to try harder to make sure you don't.

Remember, reasonable people can disagree and it's best to disagree reasonably in this kind of online forum. It's better to build friendships than to look for enemies.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 80
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 10:10:43 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Remember, reasonable people can disagree and it's best to disagree reasonably in this kind of online forum. It's better to build friendships than to look for enemies.
Regards,

- Erik

My belief exactly, Erik. I feel like I have built good friends here, over the last few years. I actually consider both RH and JudgeDredd friends (kinda strange to say about people you have never met) and I don't want to see anyone go. Reason prevails, in most everything in life.

SoM

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 81
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 10:29:24 PM   
MoleRat

Ok, ok. With all this drama going on everyone is missing the main point: Give us a new Steel Panthers and all will be well again

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 82
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 11:14:15 PM   
cdbeck

I knew it was Steel Panther's fault... that and Emperor of the Fading Suns.

(in reply to MoleRat)
Post #: 83
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/1/2008 11:31:53 PM   
marcusm

Well you made my favourite list too Montfort ;).

Even more so after mentioning Emperor of Fading Suns. That title cannot be
mentioned enough.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 84
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/2/2008 12:11:40 AM   
mllange

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Even more so after mentioning Emperor of Fading Suns. That title cannot be
mentioned enough.

Agreed!

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 85
RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? - 2/6/2008 5:59:33 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Ah Star Command, now that was a flashback...ANd waht about A3rd Reich, buggy yes, but I always went back. ( kind of like my ex, come to think about it)
No Son, while we may reminisce, we must nevertheless keep moving on. That's the price of progress, I guess.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 86
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What the <bleep> happened to gaming!? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI