Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rules Question: Unconditional Surrender to Multiple Parties

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Rules Question: Unconditional Surrender to Multiple Parties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rules Question: Unconditional Surrender to Multiple Par... - 1/27/2008 9:47:51 PM   
ecn1

Okay, here is a hypothetical scenario

France and Prussia attack Austria
France and Prussia are allies
Austria unconditionally surrenders to both France and Prussia at the same time

The rules in the manual are a bit ambiguous, and thus I have two sets of major questions

1. Are only 3 peace conditions picked across both france and prussia, so for example, if france has a higher PS than Prussia...does France pick one, Prussia pick one, and then France pick the third...or do France and Prussia get to pick 3 conditions each against Austria (6 total), with no duplicates of course.

2. In the old game, if France or Prussia picked the "cede 3 provinces" condition (condition C4), one player would pick a province, and then the other player, and then back to the 1st player. But now, from reading the manual, it appears that whichever country picks that condition gets all three provinces? Is that correct?

Thanks for any insights...in all my games, I havent gotten to an unconditional surrender to more than one player so this will be helpful to figure out...especially since there seems to be major differences between old EiA and this version

erik

Post #: 1
RE: Rules Question: Unconditional Surrender to Multiple... - 1/27/2008 11:23:31 PM   
Jimmer

You were playing the "old game" incorrectly if you used #2 above. Only one person could take each "kind" of victory condition. So, if someone took "Reparations: ALL", then nobody could take the other Reparations condition. If someone took "Cede one province" (which was two in the old game, but that's not important), then nobody could take "cede three provinces".

It was a round robin victory condition grab. Each major power got one condition, then the order started over again until either:

1)  Everybody had taken the correct number of conditions, or
2)  There were no conditions left to be taken (this required at least 3 people or more getting unconditionals)

The order was in the order that the victorious powers originally went to war.

So, let's say France surrenders to the central powers and GB unconditionally. Since GB was at war first, she would choose her first condition. Then, whichever of Austria or Prussia went first would pick next, and then finally the other one. Then, GB would pick again, and so on, until all nine conditions had been taken (or, all were excluded by other picks).

The game went so far in determining "first to war" that it mattered who declared the war, and who was called to allies, etc.

If it could not be determined, I believe either the players could pick the person in a "tie", or randomization was used.

This COULD work in favor of the suing nation, on occasion. Sometimes, people would go "soft" on the surrendering nation, to keep a different rival from becoming too powerful. So, in the example above, Austria might take "cede 1 province" just to keep GB from taking "cede 3 provinces".

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to ecn1)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Rules Question: Unconditional Surrender to Multiple Parties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI