Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quick Start Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Quick Start Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 4:30:01 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

A quick start guide showing basic unit placement, movement, supply, combat, diplomacy settings and economics would be very useful.

The amount of information can be staggering and looking through the manual is like reading War and Peace. Unfortunately the manual, as it stands, is nothing more than a manifesto of various conditions and rules with a seasoning of complex charts and tables. In my opinion it is more useful as a guide to how the game was programmed. To make matters worse, the manual has no index. A quick start guide would really help.

A description of the information on the various UI screens is highly recommended.

This problem is the single most important issue facing this game. Programming bugs and a special needs AI are important to address but we will lose the newcomers unless we address this issue as soon as possible. Maintaining and growing the fan base is critical for commercial success.

The lack of a coherent beginners guide could cause this game to die on the vine.

GSB

< Message edited by Grapeshot Bob -- 1/27/2008 4:38:04 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 4:43:06 PM   
Skeleton

I absolutely could not agree more. As a total novice to EIA, I bought the game immediately and was very excited to get it. As a WiTP, AGEOD ACW and TOAW player, I didn't feel it would be unplayable or too complex or difficult to get started, but with the UI and the complexity, I have put this game down until some of these issues are resolved in a patch or at least until there is a newbie thread/guide available.

< Message edited by Marcus the leper -- 1/27/2008 4:47:17 PM >

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 4:46:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Last I heard, Ralegh is working on just such a guide for at least one nation.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 3
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 9:09:20 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Last I heard, Ralegh is working on just such a guide for at least one nation.

I very much appreciate the work he is putting in. We all do.

A major problem is that all parts of the user interface need specific explanations. The basic screen the player looks at for the majority of the game should be explained in detail. The battle screens are filled with a large collection of numbers that need to be specifically defined. If they are not necessary to the play of the game, they should be displayed as an option. What are the relative advantages of the different attack and defense "chits"? There should be some explanation of the terrain advantages and disadvantages in combat.

Diplomacy settings and supply also need more clear, short explanations. Specific examples need to be illustrated.

Economic settings need to be explained. How does the economy affect supply?

The numbers on the map need a clear explanation. What does 4/9/6 mean? The meaning of the number of spires on each city needs to be explained. Why are the UI indicators of where a unit is non-intuitive (AR,AC,ER,EC,etc).

Minimum garrisons need to be clearly explained. The sea crossing indicators need to be explained. What do you need to do to conquer a territory? What do you need to do to conquer a city?

People need to understand where to find out when reinforcements are coming after they buy them, so they don't die because there are no corps for them.

The naval system needs specific examples, with illustrations. Ship transport and the different naval missions need to be defined.

Surrender settings and their implications need to be clearly defined. What, exactly, does "Royal Wedding" mean? You need to explain that people can only get a certain number of their requested victory conditions.

The advantages and disadvantages of influence, allies, conquered, free states and kingdoms need to be clearly laid out. Can a player trace supply through or from any of these states?

These things could all be answered very quickly in a quick start guide. All someone needs to do is snap a few screen shots and be organized with short explanations and pointers. One or two limited in-game tutorials would help.

I really like this game. It has taken me a while to learn it and I find the forums a very useful source of information.

We just need something for newbies to grab onto so they don't get overwhelmed.

Writing a short manual would take no special programming skills, so you don't need to tie Marshal up. Someone from Matrix who knows the game could do it in a weekend.

Please help keep your hard work alive. New players are what this game needs to keep it successful.

GSB

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 9:11:07 PM   
Murat

Starting to do this now in the WAR ROOM.

Post #: 5
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 9:29:15 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

Starting to do this now in the WAR ROOM.

I'm so glad to hear this.

Please include an index.

GSB

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 6
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 9:38:11 PM   
Murat

index of what? I was basically just going to go ahead and run every phase as France and show how it is done.

Post #: 7
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/27/2008 9:50:46 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Sorry,

I just looked at the War Room and noticed you were doing it with screen shots. I was thinking it would be a manual.

The way you are doing it is great. I've read through what you have so far and it is everything a newbie would need.

Keep up the good work.

GSB

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 8
RE: Quick Start Guide - 1/28/2008 2:44:34 AM   
SA

As a new starter and novice PBEM gamer, I am baffled by the setup. There is so little detail in the manual as to what must be done vs what is optional that it makes even the default setups meaningless. I have tried to get a group of players interested in the game, but they like me need to understand more detail and examples on setup.

For example, is there are a minimum number of Corps/fleets/depots that you need to deploy on setup? Is there minimum strength levels you need to assign to these Corps/fleets? What is logic behind keeping large numbers of corps/fleets off the map? Why do I get leader not assigned errors even after an auto setup? ( I can usually get past these, but don't know how as the assign leader to unit rule/procedure is unclear).

When I attempted a manual setup,I kept getting baffling messages about things I hadn't done, but could find no reference in the manual?

I want to get into the game but have only so much spare time.

regards

SA

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Quick Start Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI