Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 2009 Status

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> RE: 2009 Status Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2009 Status - 1/3/2009 11:10:02 PM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

I'm shocked. You mean there will be no scenario covering the whole Eastern Front?

Sure just 250 clicks at a time...

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 151
RE: 2009 Status - 1/6/2009 3:08:14 PM   
Alan Sharif

It sounds SUPERB..........and like others here I have many other games to play whilst I wait.

A Sharif

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 152
RE: 2009 Status - 1/7/2009 3:12:21 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Ok, time to clear the air a bit. Unfortunately, things went a bit further off the rails on my side in the last part of the year and I am not nearly as full of hope for a CA release in the near future as I was at the start of 2008. Due to various reasons, including the move of our NY office and a variety of personal crises, very little of the time I'd expected to spend on CA during 3Q and 4Q 2008 materialized. Moreover, the current priority list for 2009 has CA below a few other projects again. Ludo has also had to adjust his work priorities due to the delays, so CA's release date is currently unclear.

All of us want it to be completed and released, but it needs more time and attention and right now that just isn't there. It's frustrating for us as well, as we've watched during the delays as some of the very innovative features have appeared over time in other games and I'm sure that will continue the longer it is delayed, but when you have a lot of projects going on at once with limited manpower, prioritization requires that some get more attention than others.

As I said above, CA has suffered the most recent round of delays (during 2008) primarily because of me and the demands on my time. Virtually every release through Matrix requires my involvement in some capacity, which makes for much, much less focused project time than I used to have (back when CA was started) and that has to be pretty carefully organized. At this point in time, I need to spend some more time with upcoming releases War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition, Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich, Panzer Command and a few others before I can really give CA the attention it needs.

It's a pretty all-consuming project due to the complexity of the game design, so once I manage to get back to it, it will be a push for release and an extremely good sign will be when we bring the designers back to adjust scenarios for the AI. I don't want to take up their time again until we're 100% sure we're ready for them. I'm guessing that when that time comes, we have about six months of full-time work left before release, which will be primarily spent on making sure all scenarios are updated and optimized for the new AI and on ongoing testing, debugging and polishing of all aspects of the game.

What we really need are more people and more resources, primarily an additional project manager and designer (which historically has been me and will be again when my schedule allows). This could probably have been released two years ago if we had somehow managed to clone me or Ludo back in 2004.

Regards,

- Erik

I'm sorry Eric, but after all the posts you made, knowing full well from previous experiences not to promise too much, the above statement is _really_ disspointing. It's actually BS, pardon my French. YOU made promisses, this game has been delayed for too long. Either finish it NOW, make it your priority or ditch it and do a remake of the World at war series. Get Eric Young onboard and make it happen. You did it for the Close Combat series, so you can do it for W@W too.

I think it is time we stop taking NO for an answer. We've waited long enough and heard in Six months more then enough too. I'm sorry, but I don't believe this anymore. There was a time when I would have made an arguement to defend Matrix, but now, I'm a convert to the non-believers because of this.

BOE!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 153
RE: 2009 Status - 1/7/2009 4:50:26 PM   
Moltke71

By all means, get Eric Young!  Let's see another failure!!!

Jim Cobb

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 154
RE: 2009 Status - 1/7/2009 5:50:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca
I'm sorry Eric, but after all the posts you made, knowing full well from previous experiences not to promise too much, the above statement is _really_ disspointing. It's actually BS, pardon my French. YOU made promisses, this game has been delayed for too long. Either finish it NOW, make it your priority or ditch it and do a remake of the World at war series. Get Eric Young onboard and make it happen. You did it for the Close Combat series, so you can do it for W@W too.

I think it is time we stop taking NO for an answer. We've waited long enough and heard in Six months more then enough too. I'm sorry, but I don't believe this anymore. There was a time when I would have made an arguement to defend Matrix, but now, I'm a convert to the non-believers because of this.

You can think it's BS if you like, but it's the unvarnished truth and I do realize it's disappointing. When I posted my expectations at the start of 2008, that was what I believed then. This is what I believe now and I won't post something here that I don't believe. I won't get into all the details of why last year didn't go as planned for my personal schedule, but it didn't and it was full of more than a few surprises. We generally set our priorities on a company level based on where we can do the most good for the most customers. As I said above, my time is no longer entirely my own or CA's and it does have other games ahead of it in the company-level priority scale. Attack or defend me (or us), in the end it doesn't change what can't be changed right now.

I'll post again here when CA gets back to the top of the list. As I said above, once I get back to it we will be aiming to push for release in one final go.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/7/2009 5:59:00 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 155
RE: 2009 Status - 1/7/2009 9:16:56 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

By all means, get Eric Young!  Let's see another failure!!!

Care to compare the list of failures against the list of successes?

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 156
RE: 2009 Status - 1/7/2009 9:20:18 PM   
jmlima

quote:

I'll post again here when CA gets back to the top of the list. ...

That IS interesting. Does it mean the game was once at the top of the list, and even then , it didn't make it?... hmmm...

Post #: 157
RE: 2009 Status - 1/7/2009 10:27:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima
That IS interesting. Does it mean the game was once at the top of the list, and even then , it didn't make it?... hmmm...

The history of development on CA would fill a small book. Yes, it was once on top of the list, but obviously not for long enough.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 158
RE: 2009 Status - 1/12/2009 4:35:02 AM   
Spook043

Typically I don't post much or even lurk here at Matrix now, but I'm compelled to de-lurk after the recent "shoot the messenger" episode.

I've probably related this story here at Matrix in some earlier years, but please bear with my repeating. Back in '99 before the release of TalonSoft's TOAW2, I had written a passing e-mail to Erik expressing my dissatisfaction with a feature in TOAW in generating proficiency from "untried" units. I further suggested a "fix" to the routine. Erik could have opted leave the rather small matter lay and not bother Norm Koger with it, but he must have regarded my suggestion reasonable enough to forward it to Norm. And Norm saw fit to incorporate it.

It left an impression to me of both Norm and Erik on their devotion to the wargaming hobby to be open to outside (and workable) suggestions. And I still have faith that at the very least, in Erik's case, this is still unchanged.

Where now some may brand me a "fanboy", but as I close in to age 50, there isn't much "boy" left in me. However, this age point and a career of 21+ years in the Fed (USAF) IMO gives me a relevant perspective. This "career" with its administrative red tape has pissed away most of my better capabilities, and many the day has passed where I just wanted to up and quit. But I've got family to take care of, and until I find a new posting (no lack in trying here), I knuckle down and deal with for now.

Whatever Erik has in personal desires and priorities for game development, I suspect it's the same that at day's end he just is having to "knuckle down and deal with" too for his own family.

Now, if there's anyone whose feet should be held to the burners here, IMO it has to ultimately be Matrix's top-level managment. They are fully aware how many years have gone past for this game project's germination. If they felt it an important enough product, then key developers and other staff wouldn't be tapped to help other project on a years-long repeat basis.

The top managers of Matrix are not just invited to give their perspective here, IMO it's come to a point where I hold them obligated to do so.

Post #: 159
RE: 2009 Status - 1/12/2009 5:20:13 AM   
geozero

quote:

Now, if there's anyone whose feet should be held to the burners here, IMO it has to ultimately be Matrix's top-level managment. They are fully aware how many years have gone past for this game project's germination. If they felt it an important enough product, then key developers and other staff wouldn't be tapped to help other project on a years-long repeat basis.

The top managers of Matrix are not just invited to give their perspective here, IMO it's come to a point where I hold them obligated to do so.

Spook. Erik is top management according to the Who's Who page at Matrix - http://www.matrixgames.com/corporate/who.asp

That aside, I know first hand having to deal with work and family and know that Erik has children too. All these things take away time, not to mention the many projects he's got going at any given time... Erik I don't envy you.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Spook043)
Post #: 160
RE: 2009 Status - 1/12/2009 1:20:09 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spook043
...Now, if there's anyone whose feet should be held to the burners here, IMO it has to ultimately be Matrix's top-level managment. They are fully aware how many years have gone past for this game project's germination. If they felt it an important enough product, then key developers and other staff wouldn't be tapped to help other project on a years-long repeat basis. ...

Wellll... that's where the cookie crumbles... Judging by the entire CA development I would say that Matrix does not considere it to be a relevant enough product for them to put it on top of priorities. Many things could be said of that, but the fact that re-issue games seem to be prefered does seem to tell a lot. Not even the amazingly bad publicity this game gives to Matrix seems to do the trick.

(in reply to Spook043)
Post #: 161
RE: 2009 Status - 1/12/2009 7:16:34 PM   
Max 86

I have never heard an explanation as to why this game is so LOW on the priority list. Maybe its just me but this game seems like it would be a big seller.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 162
RE: 2009 Status - 1/12/2009 7:51:23 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86
I have never heard an explanation as to why this game is so LOW on the priority list. Maybe its just me but this game seems like it would be a big seller.

It is very high in my personal priority list, I hope Matrix Games listen at the potential buyers.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 163
RE: 2009 Status - 1/13/2009 1:16:32 AM   
BAL

I haven't followed this too much lately but with the recent flurry of activity I had hoped there would be some better news. Too bad the outlook isn't good, especially if one is to believe this blurb from over at the Uselessnet...

quote:

What you need to realize is that Combined Arms is not just an idea on
paper that Matrix could just hand to a developer with some spare time.
It's a game which has been in development for years - I've got a 4-5
year old beta of it at home. The reason development on it was put on
hold was because the guy behind it - Erik Rutins - suddenly found
himself in a position where Matrix Games took off spectacularly and
was/is releasing 6+ titles per year which all needed his attention and
time.

Basically it was chosing between putting out those titles and putting
CA on the backburner or focussing on CA and letting all those other
titles languish. A no-brainer from a commercial pov, but a tough
decision if it involves your own project I'm sure.

With what is officially in the pipeline at Matrix for 2009 and no
doubt a couple of surprises too, I've pretty much written off this
game. Harsh realism versus eternal hope :)

< Message edited by BAL -- 1/13/2009 1:26:04 AM >

I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 164
RE: 2009 Status - 1/13/2009 7:51:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for the vote of confidence Spook. I remember you well, I just wish this job didn't involve quite as many trade-offs.

As to the question of priority, I can really only respond by saying that at Matrix we have always put the priorities and needs (as far as access to resources) of our external developers (like 2by3, SSG, Western Civ, Koios, etc., etc.) above our own priorities and needs. CA is really an internal project. While it's high on my personal priority list, when push comes to shove if there's an external project that's closer to release and needs the resources more, that's where they will tend to go.

With all that said, my goal for this year is to not spend another year as the main bottleneck, either by freeing up more time and priority for it or by replacing myself with someone qualified who can give the project the time it needs.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/13/2009 7:57:22 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 165
RE: 2009 Status - 1/14/2009 8:35:51 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL
especially if one is to believe this blurb from over at the Uselessnet...

Only a fool believes the stuff written on Uselessnet

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 166
RE: 2009 Status - 1/15/2009 11:38:21 PM   
BAL

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL
especially if one is to believe this blurb from over at the Uselessnet...

Only a fool believes the stuff written on Uselessnet

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

You wrote the blurb so I guess you would know.

I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 167
RE: 2009 Status - 1/18/2009 4:10:54 AM   
Anendrue

excerpted quote
quote:

What we really need are more people and more resources, primarily an additional project manager and designer (which historically has been me and will be again when my schedule allows). This could probably have been released two years ago if we had somehow managed to clone me or Ludo back in 2004.

I'm really disappointed inMatrix, You don't have a cloning machine or an instant software release on demansd program!

In all seriousness good luck and we'll keep up the support.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 168
RE: 2009 Status - 1/18/2009 2:37:21 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562
I'm really disappointed inMatrix, You don't have a cloning machine or an instant software release on demansd program!

Instant software release????... You do know that this is in the works for more than 6 (5?) years now? Now much instant, I would say more akin to procrastinated software...

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 169
RE: 2009 Status - 1/23/2009 4:29:43 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Gents,

Erik has nothing to do with last delay. It's entirely due to my fault. Erik reported a small bug in Attack Report and I finally embarked myself in a whole revamp of the Log. I've also done some work on combat as well. This was done to make code safer and reduce as much as possible cause of hang/crash.

LC

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 170
RE: 2009 Status - 1/24/2009 10:09:35 PM   
scsfan

One big hope, please make it compatible with Vista 64 bit.

(in reply to Ludovic Coval)
Post #: 171
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> RE: 2009 Status Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI