Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2008 Status

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> 2008 Status Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2008 Status - 1/26/2008 5:27:23 PM   
jedi367

Would it be possible to have an update about where this game currently stands? I'm in no way asking for specifics, just a response indicating things are still progressing would be nice.

I think people are willing to wait for games but do appreciate updates from time to time. Even if nothing is happening, it is still possible for the developers to say just that. The lack of any communication regarding this game is the most disappointing aspect of its development for those of us on the outside.
Post #: 1
RE: 2008 Status - 1/26/2008 5:47:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for asking and I know better than anyone how long CA has been "in development" and how interminable the wait must be for those expecting its release.

2008 should be an exciting year for CA. At this moment, the project is waiting on me. Ludo has delivered a working AI, albeit one that still needs a lot of testing and debugging across the various scenarios. That process has begun, but it needs a lot more of my time before it can progress meaningfully.

I'm currently focused on a variety of start of the year general company planning and organization tasks as well as finishing Panzer Command: Kharkov for release, which is currently ahead of CA on my plate and also requires a lot of my time.

As soon as Panzer Command: Kharkov is released (currently scheduled for end of February/start of March), I will be switching my development/project time pretty heavily in CA's direction to make that my top development priority. We're planning to bring Ludo over to the US this year so that he and I can sit down and finish the last stage of development and polishing together, which should also speed things up considerably. The last time we did that, he and I got about six months of work (for the normal internet/virtual process) done in about a month.

Provided things go as planned, I have CA marked for an expected fall release this year.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jedi367)
Post #: 2
RE: 2008 Status - 1/26/2008 10:40:54 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Provided things go as planned, I have CA marked for an expected fall release this year.

Regards,

- Erik

Oh Erik, Erik... Haven't you learn anything from the past?...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: 2008 Status - 1/26/2008 11:31:36 PM   
Erik Rutins

I was thinking that as I was typing... at this point, what have I got to lose?

Seriously though, if CA doesn't release this year, anyone who reminds me about this at Origins 2009 is entitled to a free drink at my expense.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 4
RE: 2008 Status - 1/27/2008 7:08:17 PM   
SwampYankee68

Well, wargamers by nature are a patient lot. 

I recall several years ago speaking with Ludo about issues like combat engineers and such.  I think this will be one worth waiting for.

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

Post #: 5
RE: 2008 Status - 1/27/2008 8:10:42 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swamp_Yankee

welllllllll... I don't know about that, specially for the case at hand...

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 6
RE: 2008 Status - 1/27/2008 8:12:08 PM   
jmlima

quote:

Seriously though, if CA doesn't release this year, anyone who reminds me about this at Origins 2009 is entitled to a free drink at my expense.

Just imagine if the word gets out, and there's no CA in sight... you'll be in a pickle at Origins...

Though the guys from the bars will love you...

Post #: 7
RE: 2008 Status - 1/27/2008 8:16:36 PM   
SwampYankee68

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swamp_Yankee

welllllllll... I don't know about that, specially for the case at hand...

Welp, in relative terms we are. Check out the average sports game or console game forum, and Matrix forums start to look like a MENSA BB

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 8
Excellent - 1/27/2008 9:10:25 PM   
Dagfinn

Woho, good news!

Will there be any Beta testing to apply for?

In our darkest hours all the shades are gray

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 9
RE: Excellent - 1/27/2008 11:52:26 PM   
Alan Sharif

Good news indeed. Heres hoping

A Sharif

(in reply to Dagfinn)
Post #: 10
RE: Excellent - 1/30/2008 1:21:30 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

Good news indeed. Heres hoping

....and hoping.....and hoping.....and hoping........

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 11
RE: Excellent - 1/30/2008 2:14:10 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dagfinn
Will there be any Beta testing to apply for?

Yes, but not until we are _certain_ that we're really in beta, as opposed to alpha or pre-alpha or... etc.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dagfinn)
Post #: 12
RE: Excellent - 1/30/2008 10:42:10 PM   
Nemo69

Those are good news indeed.

Fais ce que dois

Post #: 13
RE: Excellent - 4/26/2008 12:37:16 AM   
rubisco

I too am looking forward to this game...

(in reply to Nemo69)
Post #: 14
RE: Excellent - 4/28/2008 9:06:13 PM   
Howard7x

Erik, ive been watching this game for a while now and im wondering how it will play in comparison to TOAW3? It looks quite similar but im hoping the interface and gameplay will be easier to understand.

I really couldnt get into TOAW3, i found it to be very awkward to play and understand which was very dissapointing for me as alot of people were telling me how easy it was to play. Too much information meant that i could not keep a track of what was going on, or how it was happening. It was definately not a game for everyone. I play HTTR, CotA, Battles In Italy and Battlefront which are fairly complex but have good UI and are easy to pick up and play. Any similarities or am i going to be lost again in a wash of information?

Cheers
H7X

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to rubisco)
Post #: 15
RE: 2008 Status - 5/8/2008 3:59:10 PM   
jmlima

quote:

Well, well, well... and here we are again, 2 old friends , like the Waterboys would sing...

Soooooo... it's nearly June, half year nearly gone, if aiming for this year release I imagine playtest is already going on...

Post #: 16
RE: 2008 Status - 5/15/2008 7:59:43 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

quote:

Well, well, well... and here we are again, 2 old friends , like the Waterboys would sing...

Soooooo... it's nearly June, half year nearly gone, if aiming for this year release I imagine playtest is already going on...

Erik, for your sake, I hope you come through on this. I've got a picture here of Joao drinking with a friend. At this rate, your promise of buying a drink to anyone who reminds you at Origins 2009 could be an expensive one...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 17
RE: 2008 Status - 5/15/2008 3:48:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

I've been putting away some money in my "Origins 2009 Beer Budget" every month... I'm the bottleneck on this one at this point and so far it does look like my earlier forecast was too optimistic. The Kharkov release took me away from CA too much this year, but CA is my next development priority.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 18
RE: 2008 Status - 5/16/2008 3:16:20 PM   
jmlima

Erik, you better star a savings account for that. I'll make sure word gets around that there will be free beer at Origins. You'll be the star of the show...

Post #: 19
RE: 2008 Status - 6/4/2008 5:38:50 AM   
Alexander Seil

This must be the most puzzling project I've ever seen. It's clearly being worked on, and the system seemed "working" what, 2-3 years ago? In the time since I first learned about this game, I managed to graduate from high school...and college, too. I'm really, really puzzled. Oh, and yes, I've heard about the AI and it being in development, but at some point, a game has to be done. Even if that means a terrible AI. Trust me, if the rest of the concept is great, no one will give a damn about the AI. Many games from the 90's with braindead AI and no multiplayer functionality are still considered classics...

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 20
RE: 2008 Status - 6/4/2008 9:41:32 AM   
Erik2

Since this is a WeGo system with the AI acting out the orders for both sides wether human vs human or otherwise I would think getting the AI right is crucial to the game.

(in reply to Alexander Seil)
Post #: 21
RE: 2008 Status - 6/4/2008 11:43:42 AM   
Arckon

I personally want the AI to be good enough (preferrably very good) to play solo.

(in reply to Erik2)
Post #: 22
RE: 2008 Status - 6/4/2008 3:15:46 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

Since this is a WeGo system with the AI acting out the orders for both sides wether human vs human or otherwise I would think getting the AI right is crucial to the game.

Yes, but that's clearly not like finding the Ark of the Covenant. It was done before, many moons ago, so it's hardly what would justify the entire time lapse in this project. Even if, as said before, it's different since this game is more generic and the AI must fill in the shoes of every theatre in WW2. It still does not go anywhere near to justify it.

(in reply to Erik2)
Post #: 23
RE: 2008 Status - 6/5/2008 7:16:27 PM   
jamespcrowley

It does seem a great shame that this game, in one form or another, keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue, year after year.

A We-go battalion/company level game with a healthy number of varied scenarios, much detail and beautiful graphics is pretty unique.

My worry is that unless something positive happens to it soon, work previously invested into it will become redundant. For instance will it run on Vista and in wide screen format?

As for the AI?  

Sadly, in general, AIs don't seem to improve much from year to year. So having an average AI isn't going to be any different from anything else out there.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 24
RE: 2008 Status - 6/5/2008 9:01:53 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Crowley

It does seem a great shame that this game, in one form or another, keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue, year after year.

Agreed. Been looking forward this for ages, and would really appreciate a promising alternative on the horizon to TOAW now SSG are (in my very humble opinion, and this is NOT a call for debate) barking up very much the wrong tree.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 6/5/2008 9:03:10 PM >

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 25
RE: 2008 Status - 6/7/2008 10:14:57 AM   
goranw

Hi!
Like many others its I find it difficult to see why this game is so low prioritated.
I have followed games since the 70's. First boardgames and then computergames on Atari, Amiga and PC.
Some steps have been notable. Ex Third Reich and Fire in the East on boardgame, Firebrigade on Atari and Toaw on PC.
A big step promised the game Road to Moscow to be but it was never published.
A problem was the AI since it was a wego- system. But this was many years ago and I hope the skill with AI has developed. I would be glad to have information of why the game was cancelled. Does anyone know?
The only possible step forwards would be a new game with a wego- system that is to say, Combined Arms.( I know some games exist but not in this scale) Testing military situations demands such a system and only that would be a step forward.
In a tough economical world it hopefully would be positive to have a game that brakes into a new line in stead of micro changes on old ideas.
A functionell CA would be such a game.
( If anyone is interested in some old Road to Moscow maps I have uploaded some on my map site at
www. mannaberg.se)
Regards
GoranW

Post #: 26
RE: 2008 Status - 6/9/2008 1:34:22 AM   
scsfan

I'm just wondering, can we have a remake of the Matrix version of the old Atomic V4V/ Stalingrad games? Since we have have the Matrix version of TOAW3? I can appreciate the hard work for getting the AI right, in old V4V games, the AI was don't individually for each scenario, for CA, the AI has to cope with every situation, that would be a lot of work. I'm waiting to see how dose CA compare with the old classic V4V's

best wishes

(in reply to jedi367)
Post #: 27
RE: 2008 Status - 6/9/2008 6:22:25 AM   
sol_invictus

V4V are still my favorite computer wargames. I am hoping that CA can finally topple the King.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to scsfan)
Post #: 28
RE: 2008 Status - 6/9/2008 8:08:00 AM   
geozero

The last patch of CA seemed to handle just about everything pretty well. Movement, combat, ZOC friction "rules" and particularly the scenario designer was very advanced. Much more than that I can not say at the moment (for both legal and personal reasons).

I will ask around and poke around and see what we can get out of the devs on this. All I can say is that even though the game has been delayed "years" it will still be a pretty good system once released.

I don't think Vista will be an issue personally, not that I've tested it... I do run the CA game in widescreen and it works fine for me.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to jedi367)
Post #: 29
RE: 2008 Status - 6/10/2008 3:16:07 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: scsfan

I'm just wondering, can we have a remake of the Matrix version of the old Atomic V4V/ Stalingrad games? ...

Preferably with all the games that were on the works completed also... :-)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geozero
....All I can say is that even though the game has been delayed "years" it will still be a pretty good system once released. ...

Weellll... that depends on what happens meanwhile... we never know what's on the works. Besides, CA will have a VERY though life once released, it will first have to overcome all the frutrated expectations, and then will have to fulfill the desires created by all the delays (more time to work et all), and IF the AI was ever said to be the reason of the delays, then it would have to be a massively good AI, something never seen before...

All in all, this game has fallen onto a very dangerous position, it will have to be massively good from day one, patches to correct basic mistakes on the release version will not be accepted, and so, and so on...

Seriously, I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of Ludo & Co.

(in reply to scsfan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> 2008 Status Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI