Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible new buyer, a couple questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Possible new buyer, a couple questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible new buyer, a couple questions - 1/25/2008 1:24:03 PM   
pcpilot

Hi all. Ive played EF, WF, and RS since they orignally came out. I am very interested in the Matrix version as an upgrade. A couple questions if I may...

1.) Does the game still require 16bit color setting?

2.) Does the combined DD/Boxed version I want to order include an updated printed manual?

3.) As the AI been improved at all? The original was annoying sitting there listening to the ai move trucks constantly back and forth to no purpose, for instance.

Thank you for your time.
Post #: 1
RE: Possible new buyer, a couple questions - 1/25/2008 4:11:05 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: racketyjack

Hi all. Ive played EF, WF, and RS since they orignally came out. I am very interested in the Matrix version as an upgrade. A couple questions if I may...

1.) Does the game still require 16bit color setting?

My monitor is set at 32-bit and it functions with no problem.

quote:

2.) Does the combined DD/Boxed version I want to order include an updated printed manual?

I have nearly completed an updated manual describing the new features. I just have to take some new screen shots. It will be available once the 1.03 UPDATE is released.

quote:

3.) As the AI been improved at all? The original was annoying sitting there listening to the ai move trucks constantly back and forth to no purpose, for instance.

Thank you for your time.

The AI hasn't been tweaked that much yet, it is a plan for the future though. There have been some changes under the hood that will make playing the AI a little more challenging.

The game truly shines when playing a human opponent; either online or PBEM.

Jason Petho

(in reply to pcpilot)
Post #: 2
RE: Possible new buyer, a couple questions - 1/25/2008 7:14:44 PM   
pcpilot

Thanks for the replies Jason.

The manual, is that a printed manual or a pdf version on the disk?

Yep, really enjoyed playing against friends but often played AI when no one around or didnt want to hassle setting a game up with someone, so AI is important to me.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Possible new buyer, a couple questions - 1/25/2008 7:25:04 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Thanks for the replies Jason.

No problem at all!

quote:

The manual, is that a printed manual or a pdf version on the disk?

It currently comes with a printed manual and a PDF version.

The UPDATED manual will be availabe in both formats as well. The UPDATED manual will be available AFTER the 1.03 UPDATE release.

quote:

Yep, really enjoyed playing against friends but often played AI when no one around or didnt want to hassle setting a game up with someone, so AI is important to me.

Duly noted.

If you're looking for hassle free opponents, you can find them at The Blitzkrieg Wargame club. (http://www.theblitz.org)

Jason Petho

(in reply to pcpilot)
Post #: 4
RE: Possible new buyer, a couple questions - 2/9/2008 3:16:28 AM   
Fierce

Hi Jason,
I too have played the campaign series for many years and am interested in upgrading but I have a few questions as well.
I haven't played in a few years though so please correct me if I'm off base.

One thing that botherd me when playing an opponent was when my units could'nt retreat from an assault because of empty trucks/horses/bicycles or even a lone comander in a jeep blocking my exit hex. Is it possible to set up the OOB to allow retreating units to "destroy" or push back blocking units when they retreat into a hex with a unit with no defense?

This one may go with the first one; If my unit was being assaulted, it never made sense to me when my opponent assaulted with a lone commander from a different hex than his other units just to get me surrounded so that I couldn't retreat. This could be corrected by setting a few ground rules but it would be nice to prevent a lone commander from assaulting from an adjacent empty hex. This would go for HQs to.

Can you capture and use the enemy's empty vehicles when given the chance?

Once again, I've returned to these great games after 3 years to find they're still alive and growing! Thank you John and Jason for saving them!

Dave

After all these years I still love the old tactical games.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Possible new buyer, a couple questions - 2/9/2008 3:38:54 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fierce
I too have played the campaign series for many years and am interested in upgrading but I have a few questions as well.
I haven't played in a few years though so please correct me if I'm off base.

Welcome back!

quote:

One thing that botherd me when playing an opponent was when my units could'nt retreat from an assault because of empty trucks/horses/bicycles or even a lone comander in a jeep blocking my exit hex. Is it possible to set up the OOB to allow retreating units to "destroy" or push back blocking units when they retreat into a hex with a unit with no defense?

While I agree, it is not an option as of yet. It is added to the wishlist though.

In the interm, I would recommend finding some better opponents and establishing some rules of engagement as those are just cheesy tactics. Trucks are worth more VP's now, so that will be "expensive" to do.

quote:

This one may go with the first one; If my unit was being assaulted, it never made sense to me when my opponent assaulted with a lone commander from a different hex than his other units just to get me surrounded so that I couldn't retreat. This could be corrected by setting a few ground rules but it would be nice to prevent a lone commander from assaulting from an adjacent empty hex. This would go for HQs to.

As noted above, that's a cheesy tactic.

quote:

Can you capture and use the enemy's empty vehicles when given the chance?

Unfortunately, you cannot use captured equipment. On the plus side, there are a number of "captured" units available in the OOB editor if you wish to create new scenarios that use them.

quote:

Once again, I've returned to these great games after 3 years to find they're still alive and growing! Thank you John and Jason for saving them!

There is lots coming with the next update, so I hope you pick up the games.

There are quality opponents at http://www.theblitz.org if you are searching for some!

Jason Petho

(in reply to Fierce)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Possible new buyer, a couple questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI