Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surrender Settings Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Surrender Settings Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surrender Settings Question - 1/21/2008 9:01:20 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Here GB surrendered to me unconditionally. I left my peace setting at the default (18 months).

Can anyone explain these two different peace settings?

Can each nation define how long a peace will last?

GSB
Post #: 1
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/21/2008 9:07:51 PM   
AresMars

GSB,

The information displayed shows how long before YOU can declare war on another Major Power (MP) or they on you.

In the case you show above; it is 18 months before France can declare war on England, and 6 months before France can declare war on Austria.

England, on the other hand, has to wait 36 months before they can declare war on France!  (Way to go with the unconditional surrender!)

Austria, only has 6 months left in its enforced peace with France, so keep your eyes on them in 6 months.....you see them on the border, the Dogs of War approach...AGAIN!

Hope this helps...

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/21/2008 9:26:42 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Thanks for the explaination.

I was having fun razing London and the wimps caved on me!

Which brings me to another point: why does the AI let GB leave the France/England (Lille) crossing unguarded (no blockading ships and no corps on the other side)?

GSB

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 3
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/21/2008 9:43:46 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

"Enforced peace for us to attack."

"Enforced peace for others to attack."

Might be better phrases.

GSB

Post #: 4
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/21/2008 9:53:23 PM   
AresMars

Well, in a PBEM game, that is not always the case when playing another MP.

When you are playing France, your phrases might be more accurate....but then it is a careful balance to keep your neighbours from all being at war with you at the same time....

AM

Post #: 5
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 12:14:41 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: AresMars

GSB,

The information displayed shows how long before YOU can declare war on another Major Power (MP) or they on you.

In the case you show above; it is 18 months before France can declare war on England, and 6 months before France can declare war on Austria.

England, on the other hand, has to wait 36 months before they can declare war on France!  (Way to go with the unconditional surrender!)

Austria, only has 6 months left in its enforced peace with France, so keep your eyes on them in 6 months.....you see them on the border, the Dogs of War approach...AGAIN!

Hope this helps...

I think you have those backwards.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 6
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 1:06:59 AM   
Soapy Frog

Enforced peace is always 18 months unless you select the 24 month option (which can be taken if you opponent conditionally surrenders) or the 36 month options (which can be taken if you gain an unconditional surrender)

SO in this case it looks like GB is in enforced peace with you for 36 months, which must be one of the default surrender options.

No matter what (except in a white peace) going to peace results in minimum 18 months enforced peace for both combatants, and the loser may be further restricted by the victor's choice of conditions. 

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 7
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 4:53:18 AM   
Jimmer

Soapy Frog's last post may have explained what happend: You chose some number of options (3, normally) for the unconditional. BUT, if another power is also at war, you and that other power alternate peace conditions. It is possible (likely, in fact) for the other power to choose a condition that is either the same as one of yours, or rules out one of yours. At that point, I would guess that the computer chooses randomly what your third condition is (or, picks from a list in a certain order). So, you may have gotten 36 months instead of some other value.

This information should be in the log (I hope). Double-click it and scroll back to the surrender month.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Soapy Frog)
Post #: 8
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 5:17:00 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

quote:

GSB,

Hope this helps...

I think he might be right, actually.

Are you sure?

GSB

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 9
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 5:32:53 PM   
AresMars

GSB,

If you surrendered to England as France, you should be ashamed! 

Everything is possible but at least you have a better idea now....

Post #: 10
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 6:12:15 PM   
Soapy Frog

Yeah AresMars is correct, if England surrendered to you, then he is in enforced peace with you for 36 months, while you can declare war on HIM after 18.

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 11
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 8:01:59 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

GSB,

If you surrendered to England as France, you should be ashamed! 

Everything is possible but at least you have a better idea now....

No dude. The Brits surrendered to moi. See my original post s'il vous plait.

I razed London. They cried in their warm beer.

Now they eat garlic and drink a fine red Bordeaux.

They also freeze in the dark because I cut their trade like a knife through warm butter.

I'm sunning myself in Gibralter as we speak.

GSB

< Message edited by Grapeshot Bob -- 1/22/2008 8:05:22 PM >

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 12
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 8:09:33 PM   
AresMars

If that is the case then (As I orginally read your post), how could France be under an Enforced Peace for 36 months?

IMHO, Jimmer is not correct in his reading of the Surrender Conditions you posted.

Enforced Peace France: Indicates conditions set on France

Enforced Peace to Us: Indicated conditions set on others vis a vis France.

That is how I have read that it.....

Great to hear that the English are crying GSB!

Post #: 13
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/22/2008 8:24:52 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Sorry about the confusion.

AresMars is and always has been correct.

Jimmer actually has things backwards. If you read my posts above, I thanked you for the explanation then lower down I suggested to Jimmer that you were right.

On another note, there is no need to refer to me as GSB. GSB is a more formal reading of my forum name. Please feel free to use "Bob", "Grapeshot", "Grape" or even "Grapester".

Just don't call me "Crapaud". If you read the Sharpe series the Brits used it as an insult to the French. "Crapaud" means "Toad". The French called the Brits "Goddams", because of the way the Brits swore. 

If anyone wants to read some well researched fiction about the Napoleonic wars from the British perspective I heartily recommend the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell.

GSB (Bob, Grapeshot, Grape or Grapester as you wish)

< Message edited by Grapeshot Bob -- 1/22/2008 8:36:54 PM >

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 14
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/23/2008 10:20:44 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Ok.

Same game. Several turns later.

Suddenly GB and I have the same DoW limitations. GB should have a longer wait than me, right?

Could someone explain this? Is it a bug?

GSB

< Message edited by Grapeshot Bob -- 1/23/2008 10:25:32 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/23/2008 10:22:16 PM   
Soapy Frog

Sounds like a bug. Marshall?

Post #: 16
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/24/2008 3:15:00 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

quote:

GSB,

Hope this helps...

I think he might be right, actually.

Are you sure?

GSB

You are correct, and so was he. My bad!

Sorry.

Post #: 17
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/24/2008 3:17:32 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grapeshot Bob

Sorry about the confusion.

AresMars is and always has been correct.

Jimmer actually has things backwards. If you read my posts above, I thanked you for the explanation then lower down I suggested to Jimmer that you were right.

On another note, there is no need to refer to me as GSB. GSB is a more formal reading of my forum name. Please feel free to use "Bob", "Grapeshot", "Grape" or even "Grapester".

Just don't call me "Crapaud". If you read the Sharpe series the Brits used it as an insult to the French. "Crapaud" means "Toad". The French called the Brits "Goddams", because of the way the Brits swore. 

If anyone wants to read some well researched fiction about the Napoleonic wars from the British perspective I heartily recommend the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell.

GSB (Bob, Grapeshot, Grape or Grapester as you wish)

So, if you are playing France, can we call you "Napster"?

Post #: 18
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/24/2008 5:46:41 AM   
AresMars

Jimmer,

ROFL -- very subtle!   I like, I like!

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 19
RE: Surrender Settings Question - 1/24/2008 6:28:46 AM   
Grapeshot Bob

Very slick. And very witty.

It is ok if you use "Napster" but each time you call me "Napster" you owe me 50 cents.

GSB/Napster

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Surrender Settings Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI