Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New cool medieval strategy game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New cool medieval strategy game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New cool medieval strategy game - 1/17/2008 11:00:52 PM   
marcusm

Demo here:
http://www.montjoiegame.com/en_downloads.php

PC adaption of a boardgame. It takes place in medieval France where various
noble factions struggle for power.

The game mechanics seem very simple to learn but the game seems deep enough.

Description from website:
Montjoie ! the video game is your chance to embody one of the factions (France, England, Burgundy, Brittany, Navarre, Flanders) that fought over the French realm during the Hundred Years’ War (1337-1454) and to bring back to life the major events and battles of that stormy era. The famous homonymous board game was adapted, round by round, as a strategy video game, to be played solo or multiplayer, offering a journey through the whole Hundred Years’ War as well as scenarios representing the realm of France at various key dates, calling for a combination of diplomacy, tactics, fights and careful thinking.

< Message edited by marcusm -- 1/17/2008 11:01:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/17/2008 11:11:32 PM   
marcusm

My initial impression is that this is one of the most beautiful
adaptions of a boardgame I have seen in my entire life. It looks and feels stunning.

These guys must make a habit out of this :).

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 2
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/18/2008 12:23:07 AM   
Hertston

Very nice indeed. I note that the demo includes the Ageod logo, so I assume they will be publishing it by direct download? No announcement on their website yet, though.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 3
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/18/2008 12:34:36 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, they announced their plan to publish this on Usenet earlier today, IIRC.

I agree, a very nice adaptation based on what I saw in the demo.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/19/2008 4:14:36 PM   
marcusm

Just wondering whether anyone tried the multiplayer mode? This is the part
that intrigues me most.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/19/2008 5:35:09 PM   
PunkReaper

Thanks Marcusm looks a really nice game....Time Warrior Knights was computerised.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 6
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/21/2008 8:51:51 AM   
Joram

Not my cup of tea but it is pretty!

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 7
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/21/2008 5:09:09 PM   
marcusm

I just hope these guys tries more boardgame conversions.

Like all AH games ;).

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/21/2008 6:01:20 PM   
ravinhood

No, more like SQUAD LEADER and ADVANCE SQUAD LEADER and PANZER BLITZ and PANZER LEADER is what I would wished for. ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 9
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/21/2008 6:03:33 PM   
marcusm

Here is one (a game that would fit like a glove for this engine).

Machiavelli. Why on Earth hasn't this ultra superb boardgame been converted to PC?
Or why not Junta, another fantastic multiplayer game.

Those games would sell like hot cakes on XBLA.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/21/2008 6:05:56 PM   
ravinhood

I thought Machiavelli was ported to the PC? I think they called it "Merchant Prince". I was just reading about that while sitting on the bathroom throne in an old PCgamer or Computer Gaming magazine. ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 11
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/21/2008 6:09:08 PM   
marcusm

No, it was just somewhat influenced. The boardgame has total focus on diplomacy.
Or backstabbing rather ;).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/286

< Message edited by marcusm -- 1/21/2008 6:16:52 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 12
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/22/2008 12:34:23 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

No, more like SQUAD LEADER and ADVANCE SQUAD LEADER and PANZER BLITZ and PANZER LEADER is what I would wished for. ;)

Its true that these games have not been ported over to the computer per se but I find that there ae a lot of tactical PC games that are as good or better than these games but for some I can see whyn they might like them. I personally don't care for the geo-morphic type game maps but that is just me I guess. I also think that the tactical WW 2 game field for the PC that do it as good or better than they do but then that is just my opinion.

Madgamer

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/22/2008 8:55:02 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Ditto. I'd love to see a simple PC game implementing the entire PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader/Arab-Israeli Wars series. The rules aren't that complicated and don't need to be fancied up to the point where a good AI can't handle them. Give us the original units, map boards and scenarios, but throw in an editor to create our own.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 14
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/28/2008 9:53:46 PM   
HobbesACW

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

Ditto. I'd love to see a simple PC game implementing the entire PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader/Arab-Israeli Wars series. The rules aren't that complicated and don't need to be fancied up to the point where a good AI can't handle them. Give us the original units, map boards and scenarios, but throw in an editor to create our own.

The Campaign Series is pretty close.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 15
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/30/2008 6:48:11 PM   
hazxan

The cluttered flags on the left hand pic are enough to put me right off this game. I'm all for converting board game mechanics to computer, but trying to replicate a board on the screen makes for a very awkward design. In real life you can change your viewpoint much quicker than you can on the PC.

MTW1 (and Shogun) both had the 'pieces on a board game' look and MTW1 became (to many) unplayable after a while as the pieces just cluttered up the zones and you spent most of your turn just trying to select the right one and move it to the right zone. Clutter is not good. Of course the TW series has since rejected this model.

Same with the AGEOD games, BOA is fine as there are rarely too many pieces. Not so with the ACW where 90% of the map is empty and dozens of pieces cram into the remaining 10%.

It's all about conveying information efficiently. Some kind of above view with counters that actually have numbers on them is just the best way to make an accessable, fluid, elegant to play game. None of this mouse hovering over 200 units one after the other to see what strength they are!

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 16
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 1/30/2008 10:35:10 PM   
Adam Parker

I think Monjoie is a breath of fresh air in PC gaming - much as Peace Maker (indie develoipment) was last year.

However, the design of the Montjoie rules relies too heavily on luck. If the French player in the demo doesn't get a share of moving first, he will always lose.

But in looks, art, UI and 32 meg size - what a great, new design. Piece of cake to load and navigate.

(in reply to hazxan)
Post #: 17
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/3/2008 8:27:28 PM   
Motomouse

Just for your info:

I get a virus warning (avira antivir) on this one (demo):
Trojan Crypt.XPACK.Gen
Could be a false positive anyway, but I already double checked and updated my definitions

I will suspend my interest for the time beeing. ;-)

Regards
Ralph

P.S.
sent them a email about the warning already

P.P.S
got a response by the developers, telling me avira antivurus is deluded in this case

< Message edited by Motomouse -- 2/4/2008 1:23:19 PM >

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 18
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/5/2008 12:59:07 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Ok, what is your guys take on "Crusader Kings".  It came out in 2004 I think.  I bought it about week ago and I think the games great.  I am a fan of the EU series.

Anyone play it?   Its covers the Medieval period.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Motomouse)
Post #: 19
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/5/2008 1:02:32 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89
Ok, what is your guys take on "Crusader Kings".  It came out in 2004 I think.  I bought it about week ago and I think the games great.  I am a fan of the EU series.
Anyone play it?   Its covers the Medieval period.

Actually, I was interested in that too but never got a chance to try it. Would be interested to hear your impressions.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 20
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/5/2008 3:28:35 AM   
Motomouse

It´s worth to have a look at crusader kings. There are a lot of interesting and innovative game play concepts. I played the original and deus vult a few times. GUI and gameplay is a little bit rough around the edges, but it is definitly a enjoyable and very original game.  I am still playing it from time to time. There is quite a learning curve and I get most fun out of the game when I define my own short term goals (conquest there, marry those, grab that one title ...)

Regards
Motomouse

Post #: 21
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/5/2008 4:56:29 AM   
ravinhood

Crusader Kings is the best game Paradox has created with the EU engine Erik! How could you have not played that one? ;) I don't recommend Dues Vult expansion yet though because it still has several issues that haven't been fixed. Pausing 3 seconds at the end of each month of play, units that don't move after joining or declaring a crusade because of the "do not enter neutral territory code" Johan put in the game and the AI can't move around that to get to the crusade areas so they all just stand outside in their provinces costing every count, duke and king money that isn't being used for anything. The last thing is the random pledging that some don't like (I personally have no problem with this) it's sort of funny as you could have ireland pledging to someone in russia like the Byzantine empire that actually takes it over after getting pushed out by the Turks.

I'd still recommend just Crusader Kings and you can get it from Amazon for about $4 bucks or used to could and it came with HOI origional as well in a jewel case. I find it the most fun game of the entire Paradox line. And I can hardly waith for ROME:EU edition to hit the bargain bins (this being several months after its release of course lol). ;)

(in reply to Motomouse)
Post #: 22
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/5/2008 9:18:37 AM   
marcusm

Crusader Kings would probably have been even better turn based and if
they didn't have the problems with the Russian coders. Lots of the issues came from
mis-communication with the Russian team. I am sure they were good coders but bad project management
can spoil the best of ideas.

I think every new game about Middle Ages needs to at least consider what it brought to the table.
The game should in some way take into account that houses and families played a larger role than nations and regions.
MTW2 almost completely fails to understand this. It looks stunning but what does it matter when it doesn't capture the Era realistically?

Knights of Honour almost did it but it was a bit boring in the long run.

This period is excellent as a base for diplomatic/intrigue based games.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 23
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/6/2008 3:16:58 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Crusader Kings,

Strong points:

1.  Best Medeival game on the market that I know of.
2.  Hugh Map with a very huge amount of providences.
3.  Leaders presented are the historical leaders and family members if I understand it correctly.
4.  Great historical scripts that pop up-some good/some not.
5.  Has some role playing with your King, Duke and so on.
6.  Crusades-though not perfect.  Not done really bad either.
7.  Naval movement-easy and workable.

Low points:

1.  Not turn base-but as with all EU engine games-is pauseable.
2.  Hard to find some of the providences
3.  will take more that a couple hours to understand the basics of the game.
4.  Trying to understand what you control and where can be frustrating.

This is just a few bullet statements- No major review at all-still learning the game.  I would recommend buy it.  Its got me hooked.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 2/6/2008 3:18:28 AM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 24
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/6/2008 9:22:49 AM   
marcusm

Basically agree on all points. Some enterprising developer could easily expand
upon these ideas. I really would like stronger intrigue elements. Middle Ages was shockfull
of Dallas(tv-show) like intrigues :).

There was a great Swedish boardgame called "Stadens Nyckel". Instead of Europe/Country you played in one single county. You could choose factions like the Church, Merchants etc. This game really captured the essence of this period.

Basically Junta goes Middle Ages :).

< Message edited by marcusm -- 2/6/2008 9:24:31 AM >

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 25
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/6/2008 9:40:35 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm
Middle Ages was shockfull
of Dallas(tv-show) like intrigues :).

I like this analogy, very fitting. I just told my students today about Pippin III and his brother Carolman, who "decided" to go to a monastery. Also, it is fun to look at Charlemagne, never letting his daughters marry, they became palace "sluts" with all sorts of illegitimate babies. Finally, after Charlemagne died, Louis the Pious shipped off all his "embarrassing" slut-sisters to convents!

It gets even worse toward the 13th-15th centuries. To look at all of Philip the Fair's wrangling to "get" the Templars is both like looking at Nazi propaganda mixed with soap opera under-the-table diplomacy.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 26
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/7/2008 9:24:41 AM   
marcusm

Good points all of them.

Btw. The Monastery was underdeveloped in CK. They played important roles.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 27
RE: New cool medieval strategy game - 2/7/2008 11:52:34 AM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Actually, I was interested in that too but never got a chance to try it. Would be interested to hear your impressions.

Try it at first opportunity! It really has the capacity to make you walk in the shoes of a middle ages king or duke.
Your main headaches becomes: "damn, I'm 57 and I STILL DON'T HAVE AN HEIR!" or "Why, oh Why God punished me with a retarded and coward son? and my second-born is only 4 years old!!!".

Of course you have the usual Europa Universalis style things to play with, but the dinasty is the real focus. Few things are more fun than trying to expand or mantain your hard earned Duchy using a crazy or siphilitic ruler :)

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New cool medieval strategy game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI