Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Victory Points

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: Victory Points Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:39:29 PM   
el cid again

You are laying an unfair charge at my feet: I do not accept responsibility for the problem of foreign ships.

Further I TOTALLY corrected the RTN problem -

marginally I reduced the cost by making two ships appear sooner - damaged - and you then invest a different kind of points (repair) to make them whole - but no longer warship points

marginally I reduced the cost to build subs by 20%

substantively I gave you the whole of the points you must pay - merchant, warship and repair - by giving you Royal Thai Dockyard capacity.

I reduced the German cost significantly (about 50%) and have offset the rest by giving you much more than the other 50% in added warship capacity (and in one case - a tanker - merchant capacity).

So this is bogus. I cannot change the fact the game "charges" you for ships which appear after it starts. I have mitigated it and then given you the points for the remainder. It isn't OK with me - but I cannot do more than I have done. So stop saying I like it. I didn't write the code - and as far as I know no one intends to let me patch it either.

Vichy ships were never a problem. Virtually all start the game - so they don't have to be "paid for." And there is a general problem with all captured ships - if they are to appear on the right date - they must be "built" - and that is true in everybody's mod and stock. You cannot escape it by going to a different mod - nor do Matrix or modders usually let YOU ask for changes which are implemented in a day or two.

I don't know what you want - but if you think I can change the few ships affected by this list (Thai, Vichy, German) - maybe you should be playing stock - which has none of them??? THEN you don't have to pay for them! I have given you the points to buy them - what more can I do?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/19/2008 5:45:28 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 61
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:40:25 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

Go on as you want, if you don't understand this problem, there's no hope in further efforts to convice you - so I'll let you go on undiscussed and play another mod or change your Version in a much more historic way...

Do you mean I put in two man days of work and you won't look at it?

Talk about unreasonable. I report it is working - and you won't look at it?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/19/2008 5:41:28 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 62
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:44:41 PM   
Historiker

quote:

So this is bogus. I cannot change the fact the game "charges" you for ships which appear after it starts. I have mitigated it and then given you the points for the remainder. It isn't OK with me - but I cannot do more than I have done. So stop saying I like it. I didn't write the code - and as far as I know no one intends to let me patch it either.

Yes you can. You can add enough shipyard points for all foreign ships to the pool.
The same with the raised costs: you can add enough points to the pool to let a 131 durability TK cost as much as a 20 durability TK again by adding the extra needed points to the pool...

Add all the additionally needed points to the pool and you can still leave every ship it's old durability and let the foreign ships still be produced as before...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 63
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:47:18 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

Yes you can. You can add enough shipyard points for all foreign ships to the pool.

News flash: I just did that - and more. I reduced some of the costs, and added far more than the required cost to the capacity.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 64
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:47:28 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

quote:

Go on as you want, if you don't understand this problem, there's no hope in further efforts to convice you - so I'll let you go on undiscussed and play another mod or change your Version in a much more historic way...

Yes, you said everything is fine and denied that the need was 15 times higher than what Japan produces... You even said I'm talking bullshit when I claimed the need to be 15 times higher...

Have you made your tests with an enlarged pool to be able to know exact difference between what needed and what produced?
I guess not yet, as you didn't know how to raise the pool until I told you and until you didn't know how to calculate the ship costs until Ellendan told you...

< Message edited by Historiker -- 1/19/2008 5:49:32 PM >

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 65
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:48:36 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

News flash: I just did that - and more. I reduced some of the costs, and added far more than the required cost to the capacity.

If I had understood you correctly, you've raised the number of shipyards, not the number of points in the pool at the beginning, no?

Post #: 66
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:51:12 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, you said everything is fine and denied that the need was 15 times higher than what Japan produces...

Because there is not. For one thing, I changed tankers from 4x to 3x - so they went from 16 times to only 9 times - and that was the worst case. For another thing, I have explained that you have confused the total number of ships in the list with the number that should/can be built: they are not the same thing - and it is wrong to make them all build. For another thing, I have run tests - and am finding a lot of things producing better. I don't want to overshoot this problem.
Finally - it is not possible to do a multiple like 15 - or 10 - or 5 -

and if one were to try it would take - oh - six months or more - for technical reasons - by which time WITP I will not be in use any more

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 67
RE: Victory Points - 1/19/2008 5:53:26 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If I had understood you correctly, you've raised the number of shipyards, not the number of points in the pool at the beginning, no?

Yes. To understand the shipbuilding rate - I had to do it that way - for testing. But we can increase the starting pools - to compensate for some things we must pay for we should not have to pay for - now you explained how to do that. For which thank you. Vielen dank!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 68
RE: RHS ship production - 1/19/2008 6:09:02 PM   
el cid again

For technical reasons scenarios differ: x.7895 level shipyard capacities are as follows:

CVO and RAO

warships 1299; merchants 1571; repair 1285

CAIO

warships 1299; merchants 1566; repair 1273

BBO

warships 1284; merchants 1526; repair 1240

RPO and PPO

warships 1299; merchants 1571; repair 1280

EOS

warships 1299; merchants 1541; repair 1270

AIO

warships 1299; merchants 1536; repair 1236

EEO

warships 1254; merchants 1496; repair 1184

The base points to start with are ten, twenty (EOS/AIO) or thirty (EEO) times these values.

By family:

CVO & RAO 12990 warships, 15710 + 4158 = 19868merchants
CAUI 12990 warships, 15660 + 4158 = 19818 merchants

BBO 12840 warships, 15260 + 4158 = 19418 merchants
RPO & PPO 12990 warships, 15710 + 4158 = 19868 merchants

EOS 25980 warships, 30820 merchants
AIO 25980 warships, 30720 merchants
EEO 37620 warships, 44880 merchants

to which we will add special cases

case 1: CVO and BBO families: for tankers delayed (4 ships) to prevent too much fuel mid ocean: 4158 points to merchants

case 2: CVO and BBO families: for German warships 102260 points
EOS family 108513 points

case 3: all scenarios: for German Ukermark: 24867 to merchants

case 4: all scenarios: for RTN vessels: zero because of Royal Thai Dockyards, and conversion of delay to damage points (2 cases)

case 5: all scenarios: For VFN vessels: 8660 warship points

case 6: all scenarios: for Ro-500 (which is U - 511) 6250 warship points

case 7: all scenarios: for Teia Maru (which is Arimis) 3670 merchant points

case 9: CVO and BBO families: for Conte Verde 10240 merchant points

case 10: all scenarios: For Okitsu (which is Lepanto) 160 warship points

case 11: all scenarios: for captured Allied barge and junk groups: 54288 merchant points

case 12: all scenarios: for captured Kachidoki Maru (which is President Harrison): 4510 merchant points

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/20/2008 1:00:46 AM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 69
RE: RHS ship production - 1/19/2008 6:12:08 PM   
el cid again

I think the starting repair points should be = to the number of repair yards. There appears to be no way to change it in any case. Values in the repair yard pool are ignored. Apparently only local points are used - the pool is never looked at - and there is no way I know of to modify the local points at start.

In CVO and BBO families, not counting any compensation points, we should use ten days of production - because that is the normal industrial stockpile.

For EOS family we should use 20 to 30 days of production - because a war efficiently planned makes that possible. Presumably 20 for EOS and AIO, and 30 for EEO.

To which we can add the cost of German, Vichy, offset tanker (those not at sea appearing later to solve the problem of full tankers mid ocean), and possibly some other cases.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/19/2008 6:20:38 PM >

Post #: 70
RE: RHS ship production - 1/19/2008 7:01:51 PM   
m10bob

Some may have forgotten the vanilla game only had 2 or 3(?) repair shipyards, and most newcomers are not even aware of the changes CHS/RHS have put into the game to improve it at so many levels.
I don't understand why a "free" mod creates so many hateful demands?
It is one thing to offer useful criticism, and make suggestions.
If CHS/RHS are not your cup 'O tea, and it is hard to remain civil, why not just move on, or, create your own mod? RHS has many authors, and Sid for the most part is its' "typesetter" and initial tester.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 1/20/2008 6:10:23 AM >

Post #: 71
RE: RHS ship production - 1/20/2008 1:07:47 AM   
el cid again

grand total

CVO 130320 warship points + 117643 merchant points

this does not work - max value for fields appears to be 32 k (minus one) approximately

yep - 32 k (minus) limit

OK - here we go: I will do it anyway - by dumping 100 points per day into each pool.

This needs to happen by the 1020th turn (in the case of warships) - which at 100 points per day means 102,000 points.
130320 points minus 102,000 points = 38320 points to start. In addition, there are 465 more days in the game - so the player gets 46,500 additional points to compensate for ships which "cost too much" relative to before - points that come even if there is no other production. This value applies to CVO, RAO, CAIO, RPO and PPO.

For merchants this is similar, and is about 15643 points in the starting pool for CVO and RAO - while CAIO is about 15593 points.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/20/2008 6:49:49 AM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 72
RE: RHS ship production - 1/20/2008 1:10:15 AM   
Historiker

Is some extra HI added to feed the new shipyards?

Post #: 73
RE: RHS ship production - 1/20/2008 1:11:22 AM   
el cid again

Yes - but not much. Only in places where it should have been and was not. And on both sides. HI - at least - can be captured.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 74
RE: RHS ship production - 1/20/2008 1:12:55 AM   
Historiker

thx for information...

Post #: 75
RE: RHS ship production - 1/20/2008 6:50:47 AM   
el cid again

I will now run a test (using CAIO) with these initial settings. 4 hours from now I will consider the results - and maybe upload.

Post #: 76
RE: RHS ship production - 1/20/2008 6:51:09 PM   
el cid again

Aside from techjnical problems on my main station (virus)

I don't like ship producition yet

and I am confused by differences in numbers between scenarios

investigating

Post #: 77
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 7:35:41 AM   
okami

In 7.7895 CVO the merchant pool is still 100 and the Naval pool is still 200. I thought these pools were to be adjusted to compensate for Thai ships and overly expensive AO/TK's?

"Square peg, round hole? No problem. Malet please.

Post #: 78
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 8:59:03 AM   
el cid again

You are misreading the screen: it does not show a pool of 100 - it shows 100 arriving per day.

Merchants show 150 per day.

Multiply times 1020 turns and you get the number of points added to the pool to pay for foreign ships (in the case of warships) - after that date the extra is compensation for increased ship costs over stock.

The initial pools are 28320 naval and 21643 merchant. These correspond to huge total game totals.

IF you see 200 (not 150) in the merchant position - you have the old location file. The 100 is the same - so you can't tell from that.

After verifying the source files are right in this respect, I have reuploaded just location files - to insure you have them.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/21/2008 9:08:21 AM >

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 79
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 9:55:27 AM   
okami

quote:

You are misreading the screen: it does not show a pool of 100 - it shows 100 arriving per day.

Merchants show 150 per day.

Multiply times 1020 turns and you get the number of points added to the pool to pay for foreign ships (in the case of warships) - after that date the extra is compensation for increased ship costs over stock.

The initial pools are 28320 naval and 21643 merchant. These correspond to huge total game totals.

IF you see 200 (not 150) in the merchant position - you have the old location file. The 100 is the same - so you can't tell from that.

After verifying the source files are right in this respect, I have reuploaded just location files - to insure you have them.

Naval Shipyards 1299(200)
Merchant Shipyards 1571(100)
No change with last update. Naval Shipyard in pool 200 Merchant shipyard in pool 100.
CVO 7.7895 (insurance)
I am not misreading the screen. The screen I am reading is the Industry/Troop/Resource screen.

Post #: 80
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 12:14:13 PM   
Mistmatz

Same numbers as Okami found in my installation. Latest location file added.

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 81
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 1:07:40 PM   
el cid again

OK guys - this is indeed confusing.

I had to reverse engineer it: the display does not show the pool at all - ever probably - but not at start for sure.

It DOES show the daily rate (in parentheses)

and it seems to show the total number of servicable yards (not those disabled) where you think it shows points.
1299 is the number of naval YARDS making points. 1571 is the number of merchant YARDS making points.
1571 (100) means you have the wrong file.

I did re upload the location files after insuring they are right - and they are right.

IF CVO does NOT show (150) you do NOt have the right file in the SCEN folder.

If you want to see the pool, use the scenario editor for devices 522 and 523 - and these all show upeards of 30,000 points at start.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/21/2008 1:09:53 PM >

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 82
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 1:18:32 PM   
okami

quote:

I had to reverse engineer it: the display does not show the pool at all - ever probably - but not at start for sure.

and it seems to show the total number of servicable yards (not those disabled) where you think it shows points.
1299 is the number of naval YARDS making points. 1571 is the number of merchant YARDS making points.

I did re upload the location files after insuring they are right - and they are right.

If you want to see the pool, use the scenario editor for devices 522 and 523 - and these all show upeards of 30,000 points at start.

Looked in editor and it shows 0's under every catagory accept Type: 14-Factory machine and Upgrade which tells it to upgrade to itself. But there is no number in the field of Pools or Available. If I do not have the right file then it has not been sent to me as I download and placed the CVO wpl070.dat (insurance) file you last sent and it changed nothing.

Post #: 83
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 1:23:35 PM   
el cid again

OK - I am wrong. The (100) and (200) are meaningless - it is hard code -like some aircraft engine names in reports are.
These are stock scenario 15 values - and we don't know how to change them. The number before the parens is right -
there is no report for pools at all that I see - and these particular values are - who knows? The manual does not seem to say.

I think you are OK -

after game start this field seems to become the total number in the pool. Maybe in stock the pools start with these values??
[Not any more]

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/21/2008 1:25:24 PM >

Post #: 84
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 1:25:09 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: okami

quote:

Looked in editor and it shows 0's under every catagory accept Type: 14-Factory machine and Upgrade which tells it to upgrade to itself. But there is no number in the field of Pools or Available. If I do not have the right file then it has not been sent to me as I download and placed the CVO wpl070.dat (insurance) file you last sent and it changed nothing.

I do not know what you have? zeros is not the right thing

since I can see the right thing - I am clueless

it pretty much has to be the files are not in the right folder - if you cannot see the right data in the editor there is no doubt - you have the wrong file in SCEN folder - and I have checked once again - I have uploaded a file with the same data I am looking at - and it is correct

someone else has wrong location files - a HQ not planned right - so I will upload the very files I look at - not copies of them
YOU must somehow get them into the SCEN folder

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/21/2008 1:40:09 PM >

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 85
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 2:39:50 PM   
okami

quote:

quote:

quote:

it pretty much has to be the files are not in the right folder - if you cannot see the right data in the editor there is no doubt - you have the wrong file in SCEN folder - and I have checked once again - I have uploaded a file with the same data I am looking at - and it is correct

someone else has wrong location files - a HQ not planned right - so I will upload the very files I look at - not copies of them

I am at a complete lose. I copied them into the scenario folder and then checked the editor which showed no change. I then start scenario 070 and looked at the Industry/Troop/Resource screen and it show no change. i then deleted wpl070.dat and resaved it to the scenario folder. Checked everything again and still no change. Frustrating.

Post #: 86
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 2:49:09 PM   
Mistmatz

Same problem here, put the latest locations into scen folder, still the database editor shows 0 in the pool and a build rate of 0.

After one turn without changing any orders the numbers are:
Naval shipyard: 1304 (338)
Merchant shipyard: 1578 (1)
Shipyard Repair: 1434

Post #: 87
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 10:28:17 PM   
el cid again

turns out the HQ thing was NOT a bad location file -

but hard code! hard code wants certain slots doing certain things - and it changes the file settings - ugly

So the apparent indicator the wrong files were uploaded was itself bogus. Since I have tested every possible way - I am sure we have the right files uploaded.

Post #: 88
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 10:31:49 PM   
Mistmatz

Problem still present even with the files from your scen folder el cid.

Can you please tell us in detail where you see the expected numbers? I tried the "WIP Database Editor 6.0.exe" and "WIP Database Editor 1.0.exe", both in the SCEN subfolder of my RHS installation and the build rate and pool for device slots 522...524 are 0. As the numbers I see in the game differ I guess there might be the right thing going on, but I cannot see it in the editor. Do you use a different tool to check the data?

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 89
RE: RHS ship production - 1/21/2008 10:32:08 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am at a complete lose. I copied them into the scenario folder and then checked the editor which showed no change. I then start scenario 070 and looked at the Industry/Troop/Resource screen and it show no change. i then deleted wpl070.dat and resaved it to the scenario folder. Checked everything again and still no change. Frustrating.

One problem with your procedure: you must NOT look at the Industry/Troop/Resource screen to figure out if you have the right file.
You need to look with the editor. The initial screen has some default values in the reports - it is similar to aircraft engines. If I name them what I want some reports ignore my names - which is why RHS uses names like "Missubishi (Ha-1)" instead of just "Ha-1" like I intend.
Becasuse hard code makes some reports say only "Mitsubishi" - sorry. IF he EDITOR shows the right values - you have the right file.
The initial report screen is going to partially ignore the files and do its own thing - the same as Scenario 15 stock is what it shows at certain points - others do use the file data. Confusing - but here the values in parens are NEVER true in the initial report. LATER they seem to show the pool total.

It isn't even that - 100 and 200 are not the initial values in scenario 15 either - but it loads displaying them that way. It is a legasy to something and I am not sure to what? Don't pay any attention to them when you first load the game. The values in front of them will indicate you have the right file.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/21/2008 10:35:07 PM >

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: Victory Points Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI