Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband - 1/9/2008 6:16:42 PM   
Chad Harrison

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but I have not seen it.

Autodisband for certain units has been mentioned. First, will this date for each unit be available in game? Or will you need to go into the editor to find it out? Will it be assigned on a per unit basis, or will it be applied as a general date to all units of a certain command/nationality (ie. all Dutch units autodisband on Jan 1st 1943 or something)?

A common goal of most Allied players is to withdraw either an entire unit, or a small element of it so it can be used later in game. I used this in my PBEM game for some base forces from both the Phillipines and DEI, and some infantry units in Malaya and the 4th Marines (sorry, couldnt stand them starving in the jungle). For those who dont know, Brave Sir Robin is withdrawing everything that political points will allow, and I do mean everything. I didnt go that far, I just wanted a few extra base forces and some extra infantry in SE Asia (which units took over a year to rebuild BTW).

How will the autodisband affect this? For instance, lets look at the 4th Marines. Will they have an autodisband date? What if I withdraw the entire unit to somewhere safe (Pearl, Australia, ect.). Will it autodisband on Jan 1st 1943 just cause? What if Manila never falls. Will all those brave Phillipino's and the 4th Marines autodisband on some date even though they were never defeated and stuck out the fight? Will all Dutch forces have an autodisband date? What if Java never falls?

Historically, I have no clue regarding this becuase I dont know of any specific units that were withdrawn (elements or the entire unit) from Malaya, DEI or the Phillipines. As far as I know, they were all defeated and destroyed and/or captured. Personally, I would like to see the ability to rebuild some units. And for sure, if Manila never falls, I dont want those guys to autodisband on some random date.

Just some thoughts. Again, I apologize if this has already been brought up.

Thanks

Chad
Post #: 1
RE: Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband - 1/9/2008 7:55:33 PM   
Andy Mac

OK there is a schedule in game that list units that disband and the number of days and on the unit screen is a countdown clock. Now which units in Malaya, DEI, HK, PI and Burma to disband and when is an interesting one.

Typically combat units DO NOT auto disband at all although there are exceptions.

Instead nations like the Dutch and PI get no replacement Inf Squads except timed one offs.

As a result saving fragments is not really worthwhile as they are never going to rebuild. Saving several units of 30% strenght is ok but you will need to manually disband two of them to get a unit to near full strength.

There are now seperate pools for Malay and Burmese Squads as well so these face the same issue although there will probably be a small allocation of Burmese replacements.

The exception to this that I have chosen to make is that Malayan Planter units (ie SSVF, FMVF Bns and Bdes) and Burma Auxillary Force Bns (But not Burmese Army Bns) have disband dates as these units have no real way to rebuild and are therefore set to disband in 43.

In Malaya apart from Malay units all other units are not given disband dates you may 'rescue' them the limitation will be device driven

For support units approximately 80% of the Dutch support units disband in 43 most US and CW don't disband again they can be rebuilt but they tend to have small TOE's and start overstrenght i.e. rebuilding them from a single squad will make you end up a very very small base force.

Andy

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 2
RE: Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband - 1/9/2008 8:22:21 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

OK there is a schedule in game that list units that disband and the number of days and on the unit screen is a countdown clock. Now which units in Malaya, DEI, HK, PI and Burma to disband and when is an interesting one.

Typically combat units DO NOT auto disband at all although there are exceptions.

Instead nations like the Dutch and PI get no replacement Inf Squads except timed one offs.

As a result saving fragments is not really worthwhile as they are never going to rebuild. Saving several units of 30% strenght is ok but you will need to manually disband two of them to get a unit to near full strength.

There are now seperate pools for Malay and Burmese Squads as well so these face the same issue although there will probably be a small allocation of Burmese replacements.

The exception to this that I have chosen to make is that Malayan Planter units (ie SSVF, FMVF Bns and Bdes) and Burma Auxillary Force Bns (But not Burmese Army Bns) have disband dates as these units have no real way to rebuild and are therefore set to disband in 43.

In Malaya apart from Malay units all other units are not given disband dates you may 'rescue' them the limitation will be device driven

For support units approximately 80% of the Dutch support units disband in 43 most US and CW don't disband again they can be rebuilt but they tend to have small TOE's and start overstrenght i.e. rebuilding them from a single squad will make you end up a very very small base force.

Andy

Thanks Andy for the reply.

I may have missed this elsewhere, but do you have the option to manually disband a unit and have its components added to the pool? It would appear that way from your post above. If so, is the unit pernamently destroyed or does it come back at some future date (similar to the current aircraft withdraw/disband functions)?

So, for example, I could withdraw a few squads of the 4th Marines and have them rebuild to a full TO&E with the only limitation being the needed devices?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 3
RE: Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband - 1/9/2008 8:50:23 PM   
Andy Mac

Manual disbandment returns 100% of undisabled units to the pool and you get the option to get the unit back in 6 months - when it returns it has only and admin shell of 10 support squads and needs to rebuild over time with a consequential decimation of its XP.

But yes it can rebuild if you have the devices.

BUT there are restrictions

you can only manually disband at key bases (Delhi, Sydney, Aukland, Tokyo, Osaka, San Francisco) or if you > 100,000 supply in a base.

Disbanding manually costs a % of the units VP value for the units disbanded. (unlike automatic disbandments which are free

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 4
RE: Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband - 1/9/2008 10:04:49 PM   
Chad Harrison

Sweet. Thanks again Andy.

Did I mention that AE keeps getting better and better the more I read about it!

Keep up the good work.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Brave Sir Robin and the Autodisband Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI