Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supremacy at Sea (new game)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Supremacy at Sea (new game) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 1/9/2008 4:52:52 PM   
Captain Cruft

I have just discovered this, which may or may not be released early this year.

"Supremacy at Sea" - http://forums.navalwarfare.org/showthread.php?t=1467

It looks like it will cover much of the same ground as WitP, but is more of a generic campaign engine aimed at the "battleship enthusiast". You can optionally design your own ships for example.

Still, interesting ... Competition is good! :)

I have no affiliation with NWS.

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 1/10/2008 6:32:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/25/2008 11:48:10 PM   
Grotius

For what it's worth, SaS supposedly will ship in early January. NWS has also released a PDF manual that is more than 500 pages long. I had been under the impression that the game was a beer-and-pretzels affair, but the manual implies a fair amount of detail. The default "intro" game uses 4-week turns, but apparently you can construct campaigns that use turns as short as 1-week, with hexes as small as 48 nautical miles. I don't see this game as a substitute for WITP or AE, but it might divert me a bit while waiting for AE, so I've preordered it.

I don't have any connection to NWS either; I wasn't involved in the beta or in any other way. Er, if posting about the game here is inappropriate, I apologize and will understand if Matrix wants to delete or move the post. But the denizens of this forum know far more about the Pacific war than anyone else I know, so I'd be very interested in their impressions of SaS.

Manual here: http://www.navalwarfare.info/files/SAS/SAS%20MANUAL.zip

Forums here: http://forums.navalwarfare.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 2
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 2:58:25 AM   
Richrd

I've been watching this one too. I'll order it on January 1st. It seems to be painted in broader strokes than WITP, and I'm probably not interested in the pacific scenario. It has an atlantic and a med scenario that might be pretty good. I don't really think it has the nuances of the electronic war, but I may be wrong.

Richrd

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 3
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 5:32:03 AM   
CarnageINC

It might just be like ole hard tack...full of bugs that don't go down so good.

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 4
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 10:07:10 AM   
Terminus

It isn't.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 5
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 11:29:13 AM   
wild_Willie2

While I was looking into into the the links posted in previous posts, I came upon this:  Thunder at Sea (halfway down the page).

Apparently it's an "operational naval campaign overlay" for the "old" fighting steel engine. I tried the demo (only 1.5 mb) and my first impression was that's still a bit rough but it could be a nice way to spend some empty hours.  

Does anybody have some further hands on experience with this overlay?

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 4:49:50 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It isn't.

It isn´t what? Full of bugs, or a good game? Or going to be a competition for WitP-AE?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 5:57:27 PM   
Terminus

No. It's not full of bugs, not a non-good game, and not going to be a competitor to AE.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 8
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 10:38:34 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

No. It's not full of bugs, not a non-good game, and not going to be a competitor to AE.

I agree completely on the first two points*, and mostly on the third. If both came out more or less at the same time, I´d have to choose between them - and give current time constraints, I´d probably go with SaS for now, as it simply doesn´t require the massive amounts of time that properly playing WitP (even pre-AE) does.

*On the first, based on the delays caused by all the extensive testing, and on the second based on what data is available - I don´t know any more than anyone else, though

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 11:06:25 PM   
goodwoodrw

if this game is reasonably priced and has a digital download capability I will buy it, just browsed the manual most interesting.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 10
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/26/2008 11:08:34 PM   
Terminus

NWS doesn't do DDL...

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 11
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/27/2008 1:00:55 AM   
Titanwarrior89

also there is only two guys I think running NWS. Any way that's what I understood over the phone.
quote:

NWS doesn't do DDL...

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 12
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/27/2008 3:28:27 AM   
madgamer2

29 bases it says?........From San Francisco to Singapore it says? Where is the DI? It looks nice but I will wait for AE. I must admit at 68 Yrs of age I might be dead before it is actually released. I am beginning to believe that AE is a kind of computer game running joke at this point. I still will buy it if and when it is published.

Madgamer

Post #: 13
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/27/2008 8:29:44 AM   
cato13

SAS sure look the business after reading through the manual.  im also a witp player but the great thing about SAS looks like the ability to scale down or increase the complexity depending on what kinda mood u r in.

i wouldve thought all u witp players would have been all over this upcomin release

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 14
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/27/2008 8:59:30 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

also there is only two guys I think running NWS. Any way that's what I understood over the phone.
quote:

NWS doesn't do DDL...

Correct.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 15
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 12/28/2008 7:09:58 AM   
goodwoodrw

Well after reading the manual and most of the posts in the forum over NWS I think I might be buying this game. With freight costs it will cost around $A90. I hope its worth it.
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 2:36:07 AM   
goodwoodrw

G'day all, This game ships today, this is third game I have bought in the past 12 months due to the manual being released prior to the game. I was happy with the other two and I hope SAS will prove the same satisfying result.
I believe there is some merit in a pre release of a manual to enhance game sales. I have purchased this game purely on the way the manual has been written and the content within. The game appears to be quite detailed. I have read most of the posts and all the info on the games home page, all that info certainly encouraged me to take a closer look, and I was going to wait for the game to be released and read posters comments before purchasing, but after reading manual I purchased the game immediately as I was so impressed on what I saw.
Other publishers should take a leaf out of NWS and AGEOD marketing strategy, and they may increase their sales.
Good manuals will sell more games, in our favoured genre.

< Message edited by BASB -- 1/2/2009 2:37:52 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 17
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 2:50:21 AM   
Valkyrie

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

G'day all, This game ships today, this is third game I have bought in the past 12 months due to the manual being released prior to the game. I was happy with the other two and I hope SAS will prove the same satisfying result.
I believe there is some merit in a pre release of a manual to enhance game sales. I have purchased this game purely on the way the manual has been written and the content within. The game appears to be quite detailed. I have read most of the posts and all the info on the games home page, all that info certainly encouraged me to take a closer look, and I was going to wait for the game to be released and read posters comments before purchasing, but after reading manual I purchased the game immediately as I was so impressed on what I saw.
Other publishers should take a leaf out of NWS and AGEOD marketing strategy, and they may increase their sales.

I also downloaded the 500+ page manual and am also very impressed. I agree that it's a great marketing tool. Matrix ought to consider putting all their manuals up for download. I think it's a safer business strategy than issuing free demos of the actual game and a lot easier to do.

Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 18
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 3:08:59 AM   
goodwoodrw

Yes the Publishers argument on releasing manuals is it leads to piracy, but I don't think its a very sound one. Perhaps they don't have much confidence in their manuals, there is a couple of games i have purchased over the years, if I have had read their manuals first I wouldn't have bought them, but on the other hand, a game like FOF if I have had access to manual I would bought it on release not 12 months later.
ron

< Message edited by BASB -- 1/2/2009 3:11:16 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Valkyrie)
Post #: 19
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 1/2/2009 3:20:21 AM   
pasternakski

Looks like silly, "Gee, Ma, looky my new toy," mod-happy BS to me. (But, of course, who am I?)

I guess I'll wait and see if the new japped-up WitP mod is at all interesting, but I ain't optimistic.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 20
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 3:24:26 AM   
V22 Osprey

I'm enjoying War Plan Pacific, but this game maybe the game that's between WPP and WitP.Which IMO, would be my perfect naval wargame.Not to mention the fact you get atlantic AND the Medittaranian.(I know I spelled it wrong)

(in reply to Valkyrie)
Post #: 21
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 1/2/2009 5:29:14 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Looks like silly, "Gee, Ma, looky my new toy," mod-happy BS to me. (But, of course, who am I?)

I guess I'll wait and see if the new japped-up WitP mod is at all interesting, but I ain't optimistic.

quote:

I have no affiliation with NWS.

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 1/10/2008 1:32:51 PM >

So you don't think much of this game pasternakski?

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 22
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 7:35:48 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Would be interested to hear your views.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 23
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 7:50:47 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

Would be interested to hear your views.

Happy New Year JD, Well in my opinion the game is off to a good start, an excellent manual easy to read, I think I have a good understanding of the game mechanics and I haven't got the game yet. I once got a CM installment not sure which one in five days by USP to Oz, I hope this game come that quickly.
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 1/2/2009 8:51:52 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonedog
i wouldve thought all u witp players would have been all over this upcomin release

Dunno, according to the manual it doesn't look like a WitP-Killer to me. Rather boring, with too much text and too less immersion. But for sure I will wait with my final verdict till I have seen some reviews.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 25
RE: Supremacy at Sea (new game) - 1/2/2009 9:22:41 AM   
goodwoodrw

Dunno, according to the manual it doesn't look like a WitP-Killer to me. Rather boring, with too much text and too less immersion. But for sure I will wait with my final verdict till I have seen some reviews.
[/quote]

Text! there certainly appears to be a lot less text in SAS vs WITP

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 26
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/2/2009 7:18:21 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie

quote:

I also downloaded the 500+ page manual and am also very impressed. I agree that it's a great marketing tool. Matrix ought to consider putting all their manuals up for download. I think it's a safer business strategy than issuing free demos of the actual game and a lot easier to do.

Good point, downloading the rulebook for GMT's Combat Commander series has led me to purchase the entire series.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Valkyrie)
Post #: 27
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/3/2009 1:13:08 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Supremacy at sea is shipping. Got a noticed that its on its way by mail.  I order it early.  Hope its not a waste of money.   But the guys their bend over backwards to get your orders to ya.  I like e'm.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 28
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/4/2009 1:05:00 AM   
ezzler

Just ordered it. Hope it won't be as disappointing as my last few matrix purchases.
WITp > people say it as if its a bad thing!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 29
RE: Supremacy at Sea Pre release manuals - 1/4/2009 1:51:36 AM   
V22 Osprey

WitP isn't a bad thing but its complexity and dedication are lengendary.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Supremacy at Sea (new game) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI