Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

City spires and fort icons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> City spires and fort icons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 6:24:24 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Could someone briefly outline what the number of spires on a city means?

Could someone also briefly explain what the different fort icons mean?

GSB
Post #: 1
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 6:52:35 PM   
Soapy Frog

Each spire can hold 5 factors inside the city. E.G. 4 spires means 20 factors can fit inside. A city is considered "fully garrisoned" when it holds within 5 of the maximum garrsionable factors (i.e. said 4 spire city would be fully garsioned with 15 or more factors, undergarrsioned with 14 or less). An undergarrsioned city gives an assauting force a +1 to breach the walls.

Each fort "fleche" indicates that an assaulting force gets -1 on its die roll to breach the walls. 3 "fleches" means -3 to assault, so a fully garrisoned 3 fleche fort (like girbraltar) is impregnable, and must be starved until it is undergarrisoned before an assault has any possiblity of success.

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 2
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 6:57:21 PM   
Alex777

The no. of spires * 5 = the city troop capacity. 

The no. of fort icons = the fortification value, used in calculating assault attempts.

EDIT: Soapy Frog beat me to it, with a mnore complete explanation.

< Message edited by Alex777 -- 1/7/2008 6:58:42 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 9:07:57 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soapy Frog
Each fort "fleche" indicates that an assaulting force gets -1 on its die roll to breach the walls. 3 "fleches" means -3 to assault, so a fully garrisoned 3 fleche fort (like girbraltar) is impregnable, and must be starved until it is undergarrisoned before an assault has any possiblity of success.

Many thanks,

How long, roughly, does it take to starve out a unit in a fort? A turn or two? A year?

I imagine starving out Gibralter would require a naval blockade? I'm assuming the Brits can supply Gibralter by sea indefinitely with the strong navy they have.

GSB

(in reply to Soapy Frog)
Post #: 4
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 9:24:36 PM   
carnifex

Garrisons use the number of spires as the supply value with a +1 to die roll if 5 factors or +2 if 10 or more, so to use the Gibraltar example they could hold out forever as long as they roll 1s.

Post #: 5
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 10:14:20 PM   
Soapy Frog

Also Gibraltar can be sea supplied, so as long as British dominate the seas it can never be taken.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 6
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 10:22:05 PM   
Grognot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grapeshot Bob
How long, roughly, does it take to starve out a unit in a fort? A turn or two? A year?

To take one of the worst cases in the game, a fully-garrisoned Constantinople --

Constantinople has five spires, for a capacity of 25 factors and a besieged-supply value of 5. It's a port, so it needs to be blockaded to eliminate the possibility of sea supply if there's another Turkish port with a depot in a supply chain or that's itself a supply source, and a fleet in one of the two.

As long as there are 10 or more factors remaining, the roll is at +2 -- so a roll of 4, 5, or 6 will eliminate 1, 2, or 3 factors. The other half the die, the garrison doesn't lose anybody. Once they're down to 9 factors, the roll is only at +1, so there are no starvation losses on 1-4, 1 factor on 5, and 2 on 6.

I just ran a quickie Monte Carlo simulation with 100,000 trials assuming a full garrison. The -minimum- observed starvation time was 16 months; the maximum, 132 months. The median, mean and mode were all quite close -- 46 months, 48 months and 48 months, respectively.

This ignores breaches, of course -- and even an unsuccessful storming battle where the attacker breaks will help attrit the defenders, provided the besieging force is substantial.

Post #: 7
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 10:51:19 PM   
carnifex

oops never mind

< Message edited by carnifex -- 1/7/2008 10:52:44 PM >

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 8
RE: City spires and fort icons - 1/7/2008 11:26:36 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognot
I just ran a quickie Monte Carlo simulation with 100,000 trials assuming a full garrison.

A Monte Carlo simulation?

My God, you're one dedicated dude.

Thanks for the info, though.

GSB

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> City spires and fort icons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI