Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

leader casualties

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> leader casualties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
leader casualties - 1/4/2008 3:25:47 AM   
dodod

Can you please have an option for leader casualties without death so that we can still use this without being entirely unfair to weaker countries??? and have this in patch 1.01??
please??

I also think leaders of free states would be outstanding, all with low corp counter max (last number), of course. I know this won't happen in patch 1.01, but maybe later??
Post #: 1
RE: leader casualties - 1/4/2008 5:39:43 AM   
Thresh

Well, having won a game as France where Napoleon, Murat and Massena were killed in 1806, I am not sure what the problem is....

Todd

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 2
RE: leader casualties - 1/4/2008 5:41:13 AM   
dodod

was that against pbem or AI...I don't think I need any leaders to beat AI.  I don't think you could have played a full game by now with PBEM.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 3
RE: leader casualties - 1/4/2008 7:50:51 AM   
AresMars

There is a KNOWN bug where leaders are injured on a (1 in 12) instead of (1 in 36) and that should be addressed by the patch.

That should greatly reduce the amount of leader losses...but it does happen....the nature of war, warriors getting hurt and killed....very sad that!

The Leaders in the game are the 'historical' leaders that commanded Armies during the period, so don't expect to see any Minor Country leaders (with the exception of Bernadotte who leaves France for Sweden in 1810).

Every Corps has it own 'intrinstic' leader, and France has an marked Leader advantage over all others.....if you like leaders, play France!   <wink>

See also: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1664262

-------------------------- SIDE NOTE --------------------------------------

IMHO, a secret (from the old board games) was;

a) Combined Armies under (AS) Charles 446, (PR) Blucher 345 and (RU) Kutusov 344 leader (and GB Wellington 553 if you can convince the British to risk their precious redcoats)

ie. Charles with 2 Austrian, 2 Prussian and 2 Russian Corps  (or any combination you can think of and swing politically....)

NOTE: 2 Corps = 1 PP loss EACH when you lose in the example above; up to 3 PP WON >>> EACH <<< if you win...)  (IMHO, 1 loss for 3 won is VERY good old EiA PP math)

b) Super stacks to cause massive CAS and make for very short wars.....2 battles and the losing side needs to think about surrender

NOTE: Work out the math of Nappy with 12 or 18 full French Corps and you can see how fast the As/Pr/Ru armies evaporate....

NOTE: The French HATE short wars....there is not enough PP in it for them...but 2 battles and he WINS up to 8 PP.....plus the surrenders....

COMMENT:  Typically, the French fight to "thin the herd" (ie Reduce the Army size) of the Major Powers next door and make sure the Brits "supply" money for CAV replacements to the Austrians and Prussians, thus 'draining' some wealth from the 'Shopkeepers'

COMMENT2: Super stacks where one of the few ways (IMHO) that the Allies could really inflict REAL DAMANGE to the French Army (in terms of numbers) in the beginning of the game and then use their three ecomomies and Brit money to keep the French in any way manageable.......

< Message edited by AresMars -- 1/4/2008 5:37:59 PM >

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 4
RE: leader casualties - 1/5/2008 6:02:46 AM   
Thresh

Dodod,

Against the AI, a PBEM about 12 years ago, and face to face, in one form or another. In fact, when playing France I feel almost resigned to losing Napoleon at some point in time...

I played one face to face game as France where I lost Napoleon, Davout and Soult. Massena and 6 Corps can be a beast if you get lucky. I lost, but only by a little. Made Chit picking easy...

quote:

IMHO, a secret (from the old board games) was;

a) Combined Armies under (AS) Charles 446, (PR) Blucher 345 and (RU) Kutusov 344 leader (and GB Wellington 553 if you can convince the British to risk their precious redcoats)

ie. Charles with 2 Austrian, 2 Prussian and 2 Russian Corps (or any combination you can think of and swing politically....)

NOTE: 2 Corps = 1 PP loss EACH when you lose in the example above; up to 3 PP WON >>> EACH <<< if you win...) (IMHO, 1 loss for 3 won is VERY good old EiA PP math)

The problem is, 6 corps straight up against 6 French Corps is almost a losing proposition. Your relying on outpicking your opponent, and relying on die rolls.

Consider this French stack:
Napoleon
Murat
Arty Corps
Guard Corps
1-4 Inf Corps.

Thats 6 Corps. 12 Arty factors, 20 Guard, 85 Inf, and 15 Cav if I recall. Morale is like 4.15. And Napoleon isn;t taking any Minus for tactical, he remains a 5. And you have enough cav that you'll never be outnumbered unless your facing a huge stack.

And that still Leaves other good commanders like Davout and Massena with some decent medium sized stacks of their own. There isn't a 6 Corp allied stack that comes close to replicating this...well, maybe a full Prussian stack, if Charles were commanding...

quote:

NOTE: The French HATE short wars....there is not enough PP in it for them...but 2 battles and he WINS up to 8 PP.....plus the surrenders....

I LOVE a short war if I am France. It means I either own quickly and can keep building, or I lost quickly and can rebuild in mostly peace.

quote:

COMMENT2: Super stacks where one of the few ways (IMHO) that the Allies could really inflict REAL DAMANGE to the French Army (in terms of numbers) in the beginning of the game and then use their three ecomomies and Brit money to keep the French in any way manageable.......

Which is why when playing France you do what you can to keep them all apart...

Todd

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 5
RE: leader casualties - 1/5/2008 6:23:38 AM   
AresMars

Thresh,

I was speaking to the lack of leaders outside of France in my side note post. Sorry if it was unclear.   France rocks the LAND PHASE and always will....

I agree that the French 6 Corps stack you indicated was/is pretty standard in the Orginial EiA, but I was normally trying to beat on the French back in the days...(Played As, Pr and Ru all too often)

I happen to have been VERY GOOD at choosing the right CHITS and rolling better dice....so I was more worried about how the PP got spread around and keeping the Allies focused on the French and begging the Brits to keep the money flowing.  British money MUST flow like SPICE or the French win!  <wink>

We had a excellent group of players who focused only on PP wins/losses and VP totals/percentages.....ah, those where the days....Now my two copies just gather dust......bloody REAL LIFE!

I also happen to agree with your statement of (and reasons why) the French NORMALLY liking short wars, but I was speaking from the experience of our French opponents and how he felt the opposite, as we (Allies) tended to strech the wars and bleed the French army - this was a mistake on my part and I appoligize to everyone for being unclear.

Always loved this boardgame.....

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 6
RE: leader casualties - 1/5/2008 8:11:51 PM   
yammahoper

Thresh and AresMars, your collective post remind me why I loved this board game so much and would torture my schedule around it back in the day.  Competition at its best with a mix of mental and psychological strengths required.  Assuming an average run with the law of averages, what some call luck, I would be in the game with a far better than average chance of winning.  With some quirky run on the low end of die rolls, and like anyone I would be fighting for fouth place (we had five players normally).

Those moments, when you good buddy just destroys your army, and a few years later, when you get revenge.  Ah, such a satisfying moment.

BTW, Leader Casualties can be turned off before the game starts, or in the middle of it if you chose "be able to alter rules in middle of game" option.

yamma

< Message edited by yammahoper@yahoo.com -- 1/5/2008 8:12:52 PM >

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> leader casualties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI