Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

please change the PBEM system

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> please change the PBEM system Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
please change the PBEM system - 1/3/2008 7:53:53 PM   
Manfred

here's the situation :
we launched a PBEM game, and one of the players had to change computer during the game.
when he launches the game again, he has to go through all the already played phases, but when his turns arrive, he cannot load the file for his own country (the one that was in the commout section). I have not found how to go through that (you can proceed by playing your turn again, but then you will have a delta between your turn and the others)
BTW, it would be wayyyy better if all players could just load a pbem game with only ONE file (the same file for everyone) and then just select the country and enter the password and be at the actual phase/turn.

"Nous vaincrons parce que nous sommes les plus forts."
Paul Reynaud, 20/03/1940
Post #: 1
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/3/2008 8:01:54 PM   
ecn1

I had to change computers this week, it was really easy - thus I am not sure of the problem or if I am misunderstanding your post

simply move the 2 pbem saved game files (.sav and .dat) to the saved games folder on the new computer

move the files from the commin folder...

load the save file on the new computer...it should be where he left off cause it autosaves every round when you play

now, if you totally had a system failure, or cant get files off the old hard drive, thats a problem, and you really cant do anything about it other than have him do each turn over again exactly how he did originally, and load the next players, etc...

erik

(in reply to Manfred)
Post #: 2
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/3/2008 8:33:45 PM   
DCWhitworth

I too have moved PBEM games between my home and work computers (and back again) and have had no issues.

Regards
David

(in reply to ecn1)
Post #: 3
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/3/2008 8:59:15 PM   
Murat

The host can send out a resynch file which would get you to whichever turn the host last loaded. I have been through multiple reloads and it always worked out fine. Just make sure the Host loads all the move files BEFORE they create the backup.

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 4
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 1:39:44 AM   
La Provence

I think that the PBEM system is as much poor as the AI

Another thought would be more efficient.
Simultaneous DIPLO / REINFORCEMENT / ECO (when happen) phases are possible easily.

And some condition could be applied to Naval and Land Phase like :

IF    -Argument-   THEN      -Action-                  
(similar system than Naval Order ; presented in a specific window like Diplo)

Exemple :    IF    Fleet Blockaded   THEN    Stay in port / Don't Move
(Like this, it would be possible to skip French naval phase....and/or Pruss and Autr Naval phase because no fleet !)

With a system like that, the speed PBEM game is x3 or 4    ! ! ! !

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 5
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 2:45:55 AM   
Murat

Hosts can skip a phase for any player that wishes it but then again that player would need to tel the host and by that time they could have logged in and clicked 'end turn' themselves and mailed out the file.  I am thinking of trying to get a 'game night' going since I have heard that other PBEM games have this so that at least once each week there is a night when a lot gets done.

(in reply to La Provence)
Post #: 6
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 3:23:46 AM   
dodod

la provence has the best short term solution.  The diplomatic, reinforcement, and econ phases can be consolidated with one file, in order of the diplomacy phases.  This would save an inordinate amount of time and perhaps can be performed at the same time!! and submitted to the program in order.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 7
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 3:28:54 AM   
Grognot

The placement of reinforcements can easily depend on the outcome of the diplomatic phase.  In addition, the diplomatic phase can depend on the economic phase, because borders, unit strength, and unit location can all change then.  I would not recommend merging them.

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 8
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 3:41:02 AM   
dodod

good point, but I think the best idea is to have everyone do each phase together rather than wait for the prior person.  There is no change in diplomacy if we don't know what others' diplomacy is

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 9
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 10:59:02 AM   
fvianello

I agree on playing the diplomatic and economic phases all together (no sequence), but reinforcements should have a sequence. Placement of corps and garrisons can influence the next player's decisions.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 10
RE: please change the PBEM system - 1/4/2008 3:22:16 PM   
Marshall Ellis

This might be difficult to play "parts" of the game simultaneously and others IGO-UGO. The engine in this PBEM design runs off of a "who has the ball" method. While I agree that turn order does not really matter in Diplomacy or Economics, I'm just not sure how much time this would save anyway? Keep in mind that I'm curious and will look into it but don't want to say yea or nay yet...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> please change the PBEM system Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI