Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 7:11:18 PM   
gmatcuk

Playing Britian, get Portugal as a Free State after Spain DOW on it.

Transport British forces to Lisbon to help protect Portugese forces in Lisbon under seige. British forces are ignored because GB is not at war with Spain.

Shouldn't GB be able to support a Free State regardless? This alone seems like a bug.

Regardless, GB declares war on Spain. Reinforces Portugese corps in Lisbon with British Calvary corps, Guard corps, and one infantry corps. Depot in place.

Next turn, ALL corps in Lisbon have simply disappeared. No battles had taken place. GB simply loses these units, freeing Spain to reek havoc.

This essentially has ruined this PBEM game for me.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 7:23:22 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

I'm sorry to hear that this messed up a PBM game for you.

Doesn't it make sense that if you get Portugal as a free state (as the result of a declaration of war on Portugal) that Spain would be at war with you both? It seems that this is a bug, especially since the game lets you reinforce Portugal.

I can't explain why your corps disappeared. Was it just the British corps or were the Portugese corps gone as well?

When you reinforced Lisbon were there any Spanish naval units blockading or intercepting? If so, perhaps the bug has to do with improper evaluation of sea transport.

GSB

(in reply to gmatcuk)
Post #: 2
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 7:33:06 PM   
gmatcuk

Both the Portugese and ALL 3 British corps just disappeared.

No Spanish fleets were blockading Lisbon. In fact British/Portugese fleets were blockading all Spanish fleets in their home ports.

Hope someone can figure out what caused this bug and fix it. I don't think I want to play anyore PBEM games until this gets fixed.

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 3
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 7:41:09 PM   
ndrose

If GB is not at war with Spain, I don't think you can just send British troops to help the Portuguese. You can give them depots and supply, but not troops.

If you want to fight on their side you can declare war on Spain in the next diplomatic phase, but it costs the usual PPs. Or, if you checked Portugal on the "Minors to support" list, you can enter the war on their side immediately (but it still costs the PPs).

However, none of that should make corps disappear. As I understand it, you should be able to land British troops there, they just can't participate in combat if you're not at war. And of course the Portuguese corps should be able to fight as normal.

There have been a couple of other instances of odd behavior by the game where there are units of different powers, supposed to be treated differently, in the same place at the same time, so I suspect this is something like that. For instance, two powers at war currently can't have combat in the territory of a third-party neutral. And, even more like your situation, sometimes where there are three powers involved in a naval situation (like the fall of a blockaded port), fleet counters will mysteriously disappear.

I think these problems are getting fixed in the patch, and perhaps the fix will cover your situation too; in which case, you might be able to restore from the savefile. You still wouldn't be able to use the British troops in combat without a declaration of war, but you might still have the counters on the map.

Nathan Rose

(in reply to gmatcuk)
Post #: 4
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 9:06:15 PM   
Murat

First of all, you can send whatever you want into Portugal while you are controlling them BUT if you are not at war with Spain only Spanish and Portuguese units will fight, NOT British and that includes leaders. Gaining control of a minor is not the same as owning it. So no, being able to move British units in was not a bug.

Once you declared war on Spain, you triggered some sort of bug. Maybe it did not let Portugal become part of Britain because you had forces in it or maybe it tried to repatriate you but the game definitely messed something up. If the Host has not advanced to this disappearing act you may want to have them send out a resynch and try something different.

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 5
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 10:58:30 PM   
praem

I think it must relate to PBEM files. I exp. something similar in a recent game - Turkey lost one feudal during setup (it just didnt get placed, even though it was placed at setup and apeared before sending the file out - but did not apear on the next players file) - since the corp was full & still placeable we continued - 2 months later Russia moved 2 corps into Rome. They faled to cause a Breach - next phase they had disapeared as well. The game stopped then...

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 6
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/3/2008 11:21:07 PM   
dauphan129

quote:

First of all, you can send whatever you want into Portugal while you are controlling them BUT if you are not at war with Spain only Spanish and Portuguese units will fight, NOT British and that includes leaders. Gaining control of a minor is not the same as owning it. So no, being able to move British units in was not a bug.
- Murat

Since there are many newer players that never played the board game I want to re-iterate what Murat is saying here. If you do not check a country as a "Minors to support" in the diplomatic screen with the specific countries you will defend the minor against, you will have to declare War on the Country (that declared on the Minor) in order to fight that Major Power with your Home Country Troops. Otherwise you are just acting in an "Advisory" role. Lending supplies and such but unable to commit your troops.

As a modern day example take Afghanistan during the eighties. Russia declared war on Afghanistan. The United States supported the Tali-ban freedom fighters (remember if they fight for your side they are freedom fighters if they fight against you they are terrorists) and gave a great deal of Money and Training to this guy named Osama Bin Laden so he could fight the Russians. America did not declare war on Russia however and eventually Afghanistan became a Russian Conq. Minor. Of course Osama kept up the good fight until Russia fell and then the great Satan became America and blah blah blah you guys all know the rest.

< Message edited by dauphan129 -- 1/3/2008 11:29:40 PM >

(in reply to praem)
Post #: 7
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/4/2008 12:22:59 AM   
zaquex

I suggest that the term Support minor in the diplomacy screen should be changed to Guarantee Independence to make it more clear and easier to understand the effect of doing it.

(in reply to dauphan129)
Post #: 8
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/4/2008 12:56:50 AM   
Mynok

It comes from the boardgame. It's quite clearly defined in 6.6.6 of the rules.

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 9
RE: BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear - 1/4/2008 2:59:16 AM   
zaquex

I know it comes from the boardgame but it doesnt necissarily make it impossible to improve, I perfectly know what it means and how it works but I think it would be easier for players that havent played the boardgame if the wording was changed.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> BUG: Lisbon Corps Disappear Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI