Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing player skill ratings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Changing player skill ratings Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing player skill ratings - 1/1/2008 12:28:45 AM   
rcleslie

When is it possible to alter player skill ratings? I am interested in doing some experimenting re the effect of various rating combinations on a team's play, e.g., a QB with high pass accuracy and low intelligence as opposed to a QB with low accuracy and high intelligence. I am interested in how various skills interact in the game. So far I have not been able to discover how to do this. I realize that once a season has started changing ratings may be impossible. At least when I have tried (using the player tools utility)I get the following message upon trying to save the change: "There was a problem verifying player information." Is it possible to alter ratings right after the end of a season?

< Message edited by rcleslie -- 1/1/2008 12:31:05 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/1/2008 1:51:37 AM   
Tbird

You can change the player ratings Anytime via the game utilities 

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/2/2008 2:53:53 AM   
rcleslie

Tbird,

Thx for your quick reply. I am using build 2.18. On several occasions I have attempted to change player's skill ratings using the player tools utility. While this has worked occasionally I usually get the "There was a problem verifying player information" message upon clicking "save" after making the change. What might I be doing wrong?

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/2/2008 4:47:04 AM   
David Winter

Hi.

You may need to check the other fields to ensure they're valid. I don't recall off the top of my head, but does the version of player utilities you have still have the DOB field? If so, ensure that's filled out.

If you continue to have trouble, zip up and send the league file to support@wintervalley.com and let me know what team and player you're editing. I'll see if I can find the problem here.

thanks
David 

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/3/2008 3:03:16 AM   
rcleslie

David Winter,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I have it worked out. If I go to utilities/player tools and select a player from a full team roster as opposed to from a specific position list (i.e., just RBs)I do not have any problems. I only have difficulty when first selecting a position and then the player. I don't know if this represents a glitch, but as long as I can do it by selecting from the full roster I am happy.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/3/2008 3:32:34 AM   
rcleslie

Oops! I spoke too soon. I have run into the problem when selecting a player from the full roster. It seems I can some times make a change successfully, but upon trying to make a second one, I get the "... problem verifying player information" message. So... what is the DOB field? To me DOB is "date of birth" - I suspect that's not what is meant.

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/8/2008 10:20:16 PM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

When is it possible to alter player skill ratings? Is it possible to alter ratings right after the end of a season?

Using my editor, you can edit player ratings anytime you would like. Here's the link to the most recent release of my editor.

Max FB Database Editor v 1.4.4

quote:

So... what is the DOB field? To me DOB is "date of birth" - I suspect that's not what is meant.

DOB does stand for date of birth, but, from what I can tell it's not the actual DOB of the player. It's the date the game created the player via the game engine. So, if you create a league on January 8th, 2008, the DOB is 01/08/08. My editor also allows you to change the DOB just for the purposes of "realism" for printouts and stuff.

Hope this helps!

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/8/2008 11:49:30 PM >

Latest Max FB Databse Editor: Max FB Database Editor (v 1.7.0)

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/12/2008 3:31:58 AM   
rcleslie

jdhalftrack,

Thanks for your input re DOB. I did download your editor (v. 1.4.4) but am not sure what to do with it. When I try to open my league file I get a very fast scrolling of names in the left-hand column followed by the message: "Run-time error '380' invalid property value". I suspect I am missing something very basic that my self-taught curriculum overlooked when I never took computers 101. Here's hoping I am missing the obvious and you can set me straight without to much trouble. Thx.

rcleslie

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/12/2008 5:38:24 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

When I try to open my league file I get a very fast scrolling of names in the left-hand column followed by the message: "Run-time error '380' invalid property value". I suspect I am missing something very basic that my self-taught curriculum overlooked when I never took computers 101.

Well, that error is kin of vague (as are most Microsoft errors...). A couple things you can try are downloading one of my oler versions of the editor, or if you don't mind, send me your database file (joshdixon1980@yahoo.com) and I will open it with the source code. That way, when it runs into an error, I can pinpoint exactly where it is occurring.

I have not heard of anyone else running into this this error (which doesnt mean it's not happening). Sorry, I can't be of more help to you!

JD

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/14/2008 12:40:41 AM   
rcleslie

jdhalftrack,

Thx for the offer of help. I will try to take you up on it.

rcleslie

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/14/2008 6:20:25 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

Thx for the offer of help. I will try to take you up on it.

Check your e-mail, I responded to yours. I think you sent me the wrong file. I just need your lge_<name>.mdb file.

JD

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 11
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/16/2008 10:57:32 PM   
rcleslie

JD, I just made a third try at sending you the league file. The second try failed due to my making a typo in your address. I hope third time is the charm.

rcleslie

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 12
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/16/2008 11:18:42 PM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

JD, I just made a third try at sending you the league file. The second try failed due to my making a typo in your address. I hope third time is the charm.

Okay, good news and bad news. The good news is that I know why it's messing up. I replicated the error and it's because the "Height" field of the "Players" Table has decimal numbers like 67.35 and things like that. My editor assumes (or I assumed, rather) that all heights were integers and they were in inches.

The bad news is that I do not know if it is just your league that has this problem or a lot of leagues. You're the first person that has said anything to me. So, I don't even know what it means when they are in decimal format...

David or Mauraders or anyone, if you read this, can you explain to me what this means and if this is something I should take into consideration in the future?

When I find a remedy, I'll get back to you rcleslie. Sorry I can't help right now.

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/16/2008 11:19:05 PM >

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 13
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/17/2008 12:06:47 AM   
Marauders

Player Height is in inches.

I am not sure why some players have decimal points, as most do not.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 14
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/17/2008 3:05:34 AM   
rcleslie

To: jdhalftrack and Marauders, As always, many thx for the assistance. Height - who'da believed it! I revisted my roster via the utilities players tools and discovered that many (most?) did not have height filled in. A trial with about ten players found that if I fill in height and then attempt to alter a rating it works -- at least so far! I filled in the heights from the selection given by the utility which are all in feet and inches -- no decimals. Maybe you folks who know code and all that "esoteric stuff" can figure it out. My next try will be to put in the heights for my entire roster and then see how it goes with jd's program. I will let you know what happens.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 15
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/17/2008 4:05:32 AM   
jdhalfrack

Yeah, let me know.

And, I'll update my editor to replace decimals with integers. It wont be a "perfect" conversion (because I don't know why it is using decimals), but it will at least load in the editor.

JD

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 16
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/17/2008 11:12:29 PM   
rcleslie

jd, It occurs to me that I will need to enter heights for all the rosters in my league in order to try again with your program. That may be more tedium than I want. There should be some way to ensure that heights are filled in routinely if, as it seems, they must be for editing to be done. In some cases where they have been filled in they have been unrealistic, e.g., a college level team a whole bunch of 5'5" guys. According to DW this parameter does not figure in the algorithms that determine play outcomes, so I suspect it may not be a high priority item.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 17
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/18/2008 12:21:30 AM   
jdhalfrack

The reason they are all 5'5" is because that's the shortest your players can be. The relates to "65" (65 inches) in "Height" field of the "Players" table. What I am realizing is that almost all of your players have heights less than 65 inches. So, my guess is that the game/editor you are using sets all heights that are below 65 equal to 65 inches. This is in fact what I just changed my editor to do.

So, unfortunately, it looks like you will need to reset all your heights...

JD

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 18
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/18/2008 12:41:51 AM   
Marauders

Wouldn't it be nice to have an editor that would allow the league owner to set the minimum and maximum height and fill in a random hight for players that do not have one listed. 

Perhaps I should add it to the wish list.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 19
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/18/2008 12:47:46 AM   
jdhalfrack

Okay, I didn't want you to have to change every player's height... that would take forever. So, I made this program real quick. If you installed my editor, you shouldn't need any extra components. To use this program:

MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR LEAGUE FIRST!

1. Download and unzip the file RandomHeights.exe and run it

2. Click the Button that says "randomize Player Heights"

3. Select your league databse from the list.

4. Wait until you get the message "Finished"

5. It automatically saves the database

6. Now you're league should have "normal heights" (but completely random) associated with the players

Hope this helps!

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/18/2008 1:07:23 AM >

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 20
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/18/2008 11:20:22 PM   
rcleslie

jd, Your random height generator worked like a charm. I was then able to run your editor with no sweat. I will have to alter some of the heights -- they can't all be NBA centers -- but that is a minor issue compared to the tedious labor your generator has rendered unecessary.

Now here is a question you might be able to answer: does your random height generator produce a normal or a rectangular distribution of heights? The reason I ask is that it might be applied to generating ratings distributions for all skills, and perhaps used to set distribution parameters (probably just the means) so as to create teams of varying character and strength. At the very least it would be interesting, with, e.g., an entirely fictitious college conference to create two or three "top" teams, one or two "doormats" and the rest "good" to "not too bad", etc. without having to edit each entire roster. Just a thought. I have no idea how involved that might be.

Apart from such pipe dreams I again thank you for your help! You should get a promotion!

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 21
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/19/2008 1:00:51 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

jd, Your random height generator worked like a charm. I was then able to run your editor with no sweat. I will have to alter some of the heights -- they can't all be NBA centers -- but that is a minor issue compared to the tedious labor your generator has rendered unecessary.

That's what my aim was. I figured that some (or many...) of the heights would be weird, but I just wanted you to be able to use the editor.

quote:

Now here is a question you might be able to answer: does your random height generator produce a normal or a rectangular distribution of heights?

I'm not sure what that means. Basically, it just took a random number between 65 (5'5") and 84 (7'0") for each player and applied it to the player. It then saved the league database.

quote:

The reason I ask is that it might be applied to generating ratings distributions for all skills, and perhaps used to set distribution parameters (probably just the means) so as to create teams of varying character and strength. At the very least it would be interesting, with, e.g., an entirely fictitious college conference to create two or three "top" teams, one or two "doormats" and the rest "good" to "not too bad", etc. without having to edit each entire roster. Just a thought. I have no idea how involved that might be.

While, I am not sure 100% you are saying, I do think you can do some of what you are asking already with the editor I have made. If not, write it in a little bit more specific terms of what you want (I'm kind of stupid... so explain it REAL easy to me ), and I'll see what I can do with future versions of my editor, or something else.

quote:

You should get a promotion!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do aim to please.

JD

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 22
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/19/2008 1:14:52 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Basically, it just took a random number between 65 (5'5") and 84 (7'0") for each player and applied it to the player. It then saved the league database.

He was asking if it was just random, on a bell curve, or had another variable.

Perhaps 68 to 80 inches would give better overall results.  There are not many 5'5" or 7'0" players in football.  Well, not for adult teams anyway.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 23
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/19/2008 1:54:20 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

He was asking if it was just random, on a bell curve, or had another variable.

Perhaps 68 to 80 inches would give better overall results.  There are not many 5'5" or 7'0" players in football.  Well, not for adult teams anyway.

OOOOOOH, duh.... You know, I didn't even think about that. Of course I should have made it peak in the middle (or around 6'3"ish) and spread it out in a bell curve.... god I AM an idiot...

Well, I added a random option to my global edits on the next version of my editor... now I will have to go back and add the option to make it a bell curve random with the user allowed to pick the spread and the center. That makes so much more sense now! Thanks guys!

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/19/2008 1:55:07 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 24
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/19/2008 3:50:16 AM   
Marauders

JD, you are always so enthusiastic.

With so many positive waves, maybe we can't lose, baby!

Woof woof woof!

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 25
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/20/2008 3:50:05 AM   
rcleslie

JD, I was going to say that Marauders was right about the two curves and try to write something explaining that a bit more. Fortunately you caught on without my having to do that. My family tells me that my explanatory style is "disertational" so you have saved yourself and anyone else reading this part of the forum from a probable bore.

To answer the more important question re what I want to do:

1. I like simulating college and/or high school seasons, thus
2. I don't have a whole lot of use for the pro draft structure for my own team (although it will do).
3. What I would like to be able to do is begin a season with a first practice/try-outs group of 75-85 players whose ratings in all categories are normally distributed (i.e., fit a bell curve)and are not already keyed to positions. Then I can study the rating profile for each player and decide what position or positions that player will play. (I would love it if some could go both ways, D and O.
4. I don't much care what the other teams do - they can use the draft, etc. and will be coached by the AI. I am doing this solitaire.
5. I suppose the easiest way to do what I want within the current game structure is to run the draft for all teams (even mine) and then generate a normal distribution of skill ratings for my own roster using something like JD's program. A normal distribution generator would be a real benefit.
6. I have never finished a season and then played another without resetting the league for one reason or another - usually due to installing a new patch or update. The point being that I haven't experienced what happens re roster changes from one season to the next. I am assuming I can work around that as long as I can print and edit my rosters which I can now do thanks to everyone's help! SO...if this explanation is clear enough...any ideas?

Thanks again JD, Marauders, DW, and all.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 26
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 1/24/2008 10:00:42 PM   
jdhalfrack

Okay, not to bring up an old topic, but I completed the "normal distribution" option of my editor when it comes to randomly assigning skill attributes. It's pretty sweet. I'm not sure why I didn't do this earlier. Anyway, with the Max FB update coming out "soon," I may just release what I have done now and finish the stats editing portion for the first release after the new update.

Anyway, thank's rcleslie for the idea!

JD

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 27
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 3/2/2008 10:53:26 PM   
rcleslie

jd,

I have finally made use of your distribution utility and it does everything I want and then some. Thanks again!

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 28
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 3/3/2008 5:26:45 AM   
David Winter

Re: Player Height.

quote:

According to DW this parameter does not figure in the algorithms that determine play outcomes, so I suspect it may not be a high priority item.

I'm not sure when I said this, but if I did, I misspoke. Player Height can impact play results. In the 3D game, Height can impact the success of passing plays. Taller receivers can catch balls that might be slightly overthrown, whereas a shorter receiver may not be able to catch it. A shorter QB may not be able to throw over linemen as well as a taller one.

< Message edited by David Winter -- 3/3/2008 8:33:32 AM >

(in reply to rcleslie)
Post #: 29
RE: Changing player skill ratings - 3/3/2008 7:30:52 AM   
Marauders

No wonder all of Shaggy's receivers are 7' tall!  That bastard!

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Changing player skill ratings Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI