Command and Colors Ancients - Thoughts

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Adam Parker

Command and Colors Ancients - Thoughts

Post by Adam Parker »

Capping off some recent board game purchases I came home with GMT's "Command and Colors Ancients" last night thinking it would segue well into the newly released "Hannibal Rome vs Carthage" game. I also bought the CCA Expansion Box 1 "Greece vs the Eastern Kingdoms".

Seeing that this series seems to be selling so well, I thought I'd call on fellow gamers to share their impressions of these games.

Particularly I was really underwhelmed by the quality of the map (the sole map of the series excluding Expansions 2 and 3 just being released) - not because of its art - it looks wonderful but because of its quality. It's an accordion style, fold out card board thing that out of the box, just won't sit flat!

So how have vets of this series found the map and played the game? Have you used the map as is or added a plexiglass cover for example. Have you used the wooden blocks and stickers inculded with the game too or DYO?

Thanks (I'll be stickering this weekend it seems [:)] )
Adam.
Brigz

RE: Command and Colors Ancients - Thoughts

Post by Brigz »

Can't really give you a first hand review of the game because I only have a Vassal module of it, but from everything I've read and seen about it, it's supposed to be fun. It's a decendent of two other popular games, Memoir 44 set in WWII and Battles and Leaders set in the Civil War. Hope you enjoy it. Sounds like a lot of work though pasting those stickers to those blocks.[;)]
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Here's a review of the board game:
http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3721

Here's more about the game at Board Game Geek:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14105
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

Sounds like a lot of work though pasting those stickers to those blocks.[;)]

[:D] And I'm so happy to say that thanks to a kind tip over at the game's Consim World forum I found a solution to the flimsy map problem - the "Battlelore" game by Days of Wonder offers a mounted map to the exact scale and perspective of CCA - in actuality its hexes may be a millimeter or two if at all off.

So on a trip to my famous local game store just now, there on the shelves was something called the "Epic Battlelore Adventures on a Grand Scale Map". I grabbed 2 and am so thrilled with this purchase. The map is classically hard-mounted in every respect but as a surprise, double-sided. One side offers the full CCA map to the exact hex count, the reverse offers the chance to butt two maps together for a grand panorama.

Between CCA and Hannibal, I reckon I'm now completely sated in gaming terms for a while [:)]

Sidenote: Funny thing is, it looks like GMT has listened to its customers and learned the error of its ways. CCA Expansion Packs 2 and 3 will come with mounted maps now. But goodness me, skimping on the customer is a sure fire way to ruin a reputation. It seems I was not the only one to spend $140 AUD equiv on two CCA titles and find between them, a shock at a solitary game map of cheap, cardbaord that wouldn't sit flat out of the box.

Valley Games, Udo Grebe, Phalanx Games and Days of Wonder are really setting the trend for board war game art, quality and components today. GMT is seeing this with the need to release "deluxe maps" for its past games. A real challenge to PC gaming companies too. Moral - don't screw with the paying customer, it's our money, not yours.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
Udo Grebe

His absolute best game is Assyrian Wars - http://www.ugg.de/bg/AW/AW.shtml

About CCA : I got the opportunity to witness a game demo by the author of it (Richard Borg) last year and must say that I was impressed by it.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I bought an inexpensive picture frame at the local craft store and put the board under acrylic.  Works well.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Particularly I was really underwhelmed by the quality of the map (the sole map of the series excluding Expansions 2 and 3 just being released) - not because of its art - it looks wonderful but because of its quality. It's an accordion style, fold out card board thing that out of the box, just won't sit flat!

Borderless poster frames with the quick change spring clips work great for paper maps . Easily stored and 1-2 (36X24) will do you for most titles .

2 does Ardennes including time chart and plenty of room for reinforcements .

Attachments
A3.jpg
A3.jpg (172.52 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Joram

Post by Joram »

My father has all of the expansions.  We just received 2&3 (one is the barbarian expansion and the other is Roman Civil wars) the day before Christmas.  He was a little miffed it took them almost 2 months between charge and receipt but other than that he is very happy with the series.  And indeed, the new expansions contain a mounted board.  I like this game for the ease and flexibility.  It's a great beginner wargame but vets can also enjoy it too. 

I can't remember the exact name of the scenario my dad had me run through with him last week but it's one where the Gauls are surrounded but control of the hill gives the player with the most units 2 immediate flags (naturally it can switch a lot).  He said he didn't see the Romans winning but I helped show him the light.  It was closer than I thought it would be but I showed him out to do it.  Fun game.

Return to “General Discussion”