Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Their Gone...............

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Their Gone............... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Their Gone............... - 12/26/2007 6:21:48 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Sold my wargame collection for $2,000 plus shipping. Had some of them 30 years. They went to Noble knight games in Michigan. They will be missed but I am totally into computer wargaming now.

I had over 250 games. Gave about 40 or 50 away years ago. :) Just to name a few.

Empire at arms -3 unpunched copies.
pacific war- 2 unpunched
DAK
This Hollowed Ground
The Civil War - victory games
Squad leaders complete series
3rd reich rise and fall - 3 unpunched.
war and peace
Far in the East -completed with all connecting games
ETO
PTO
Gamers Civilwar Bde series(all of them).
Flat top

Anyway this is a few of them..........I had alot of the old SPI games. Can't remember them all now. My wife inventoried them, there was a time I wouldn't let her touch them.

Now she can't touch my "Puter"............. How we change over time.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday All.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Post #: 1
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 2:11:38 AM   
Veldor

Did you research the values on Ebay before you took that deal? That amount sounds very very low compared to what I was able to get selling them myself. That's less than $10 a game on average. You should be able to get at least twice that on average with the more valuable ones going for as much as $100.00 each.

Far far less hassle I suppose your way, but no need to make the middle man rich IMHO vs. yourself.

Maybe the market is worse these days, I don't really keep up anymore. I parted with my last set of games 4 to 5 years ago and at the time was getting $125 ea. for my mostly unpunched Caesar and Caesar's Legions. $90 for a punched but awesome condition Titan, and so on. I suppose that factors in too. All my games, even the punched ones, were in very very nice condition.

I seem to remember getting almost $40 for a beat up purple boxed Squad Leader though, and so on.

Lot more than $8 bucks a game though anyway you cut it.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 2
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 2:29:54 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I could have gotten more, but my wife nor I wanted to mess with selling and shipping of individual games. Alot of them were in Mint condition. Their are a couple or so that I should have sold on ebay. Would have gotten a much better deal.

Oh well, they'll be missede. Spent alot of wonderful hours with them and the people I played with

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 3
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 3:51:56 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I could have gotten more, but my wife nor I wanted to mess with selling and shipping of individual games. Alot of them were in Mint condition. Their are a couple or so that I should have sold on ebay. Would have gotten a much better deal.

Oh well, they'll be missede. Spent alot of wonderful hours with them and the people I played with

You think you will miss them now, wait a few years. I have a large collection of games that I've gathered over the last 30+ years and I won't part with any of them. I sold a few about twenty years ago and I was sorry I did. I even bought back copies later to replace some of them. My games are like books, I can always go back to them for something. And all the ones I sold I've had moments when I wish I still had the game. I know you wanted to let them go as easily as possible but I sure wish I could have made you an offer for those Gamer's Civil War Brigade games. Now that Noble Knight games has them, it would probably cost me $300 bucks or more to buy them from him.

Don't mean to make you feel bad but I sure hope you don't miss your sold games like I do mine. I hope it wasn't your wife that pressured you into selling them because Lord knows I know how women and wargames don't mix. I bet she's already got something in mind to spend that $2000 on.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 4
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 4:26:42 AM   
marcusm

And here I was about to throw away all my ASL stuff. Maybe I should
take a look at what I have.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 5
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 5:26:42 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I would if I was you.
quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

And here I was about to throw away all my ASL stuff. Maybe I should
take a look at what I have.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 6
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 6:20:41 AM   
Veldor

I think it partially has to do with the type of person you are. I personally am not a pack rat by nature, if anything the polar opposite, so the thought of holding onto tons of stuff that takes up a lot of space I don't like. Plus I'm far too financially picky to let what in my case was almost $5,000 worth of stuff just sit around and potentially just devalue. I didn't think values were really going up at the time, and I'm certain of it now. I just hear of too many people finally tossing away their boardgame collections.

Oh I did regret it. I even went so far as too buy back someone else's collection (about 100 AH Games). It was fun to look back through the games and remember things. However, a few weeks later sanity checked in and I listed them all on ebay, for a stupendous profit. I did take ample pictures though too keep around if I get nostalgic again.

I'm once again itching to start buying boardgames again though. But really they just cost too much to sit around not played. I can't see how its really worth the money regardless of how much money you've got.

Put a different way it seems silly to whine about how much Matrix Games or others cost, or quibble over whether you should or shouldn't buy one... When you've got stacks of valuable unplayed boardgames just sitting around. If you sold the collection and spent it all on computer wargames, it would be a far better use of the money IMHO. For that matter use it to buy a new computer. :)

Post #: 7
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 6:38:37 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Sold my wargame collection for $2,000 plus shipping.

Aww! You could had asked around this forum if people here would had wanted some of that stuff. I, for one, would had paid decent price for BattleTech stuff.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 8
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/27/2007 9:51:33 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Sorry!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Sold my wargame collection for $2,000 plus shipping.

Aww! You could had asked around this forum if people here would had wanted some of that stuff. I, for one, would had paid decent price for BattleTech stuff.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/28/2007 2:41:12 AM   
sullafelix

I know your pain. I let go all of my boardgames in 1985 for the princely sum of $600 worth of computer wargames. I had small kids and no place to play and never got into playing against other people anyway. So the idea of having an AI I could play against no mater what time of day or night really grabbed me.

Over the past year and a half I bought about 30 board wargames back from Ebay etc.. I didn't pay that much for them even with some of the prices you see for some wargames now. The only regret I have is for ones like the conquerors that were great games but fetch much too high a price now a days. 

Post #: 10
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/28/2007 3:18:07 AM   
marcusm

I have some stuff.
VG.s 7th Fleet and Civil War
Russian Front (Avalon Hill)
ASL Last Hurrah (early war)
ASL Yanks
ASL Beyond Valor
ASL Paratroopers
Squad Leader (the original)
Junta (I doubt I would want to sell that one though)
Pax Britannica
Diplomacy AH

May be missing counters but most should be there.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 11
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/28/2007 3:49:33 AM   
Sarge

quote:

Sold my wargame collection for $2,000 plus shipping. Had some of them 30 years. They went to Noble knight games in Michigan. They will be missed but I am totally into computer wargaming now.

{snip}

Anyway this is a few of them..........I had alot of the old SPI games. Can't remember them all now. My wife inventoried them, there was a time I wouldn't let her touch them.

Now she can't touch my "Puter"............. How we change over time.

As visual pleasant it was to glance up from time to time in the den and seeing the hobby of my youth on the bookshelf , I also came to the conclusion that’s where they’ll stay along with my youth ……..on the shelf

Anyway, get the bug again (and you will) Look up GMT games

Post #: 12
RE: Their Gone............... - 12/28/2007 6:17:28 PM   
sysrkm

Hi guys (and girls?)

On the note where Titan has relieved himself of his wargames, and I'm assuming that at least ONE person here is P.O.'ed that he didn't offer them here first, I'd like to know if it IS ok to offer wargames for sale here.

I have quite a few games that I would like to sell that I KNOW my sons and I will never play. A few I will keep, like Gran Prix and Circus Maximus, but the others like SquadLeader and a few of the add ons, plus the new 'Beginner' Squad Leader that I bought and never played.

So, if the powers that be would like me know if I'm allowed to offer my old games for sale here, I would appreicate it.

Just in case they say yes, I guess I'd better get busy and catalog all of them.

Regards all,

sysrkm aka Rob McClure

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Their Gone............... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI