Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German military history help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> German military history help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German military history help - 12/23/2007 1:45:08 PM   
markpack

Hope it's ok to post this query as this forum seems to cover quite a variety of topics - and I'm sure there's the expertise out there which I'm after!

My grandfather served in the German army in the Second World War, and I've recently got a couple of photos of him in military uniform. I'd like to find out more about his military career, and I guess that an expert can probably tell some things from the photos, such as the unit he might have been in?

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to find this sort of expertise. Many thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: German military history help - 12/23/2007 1:54:43 PM   
hueglin

You might try contacting the Bundesarchiv (German archives - search 'bundesarchiv' on google)and give them as much info as you have about your dad. Ideally you would want to give them his name an service number. If you don't know his service number, even the town or region he was from would help a lot as German recruitment was largely territorially based.

If you have a scanner, post a scan of the photo on the thread.

(in reply to markpack)
Post #: 2
RE: German military history help - 12/23/2007 2:10:31 PM   
jkBluesman

The Bundeswehr has its Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt in Potsdam, where they have documents related to German military history (so not only Bundeswehr history). In Freiburg im Breisgau the best German military historians are located. The Bundeswehr in Koblenz has some archives as well.

< Message edited by jkBluesman -- 12/24/2007 4:07:08 PM >

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 3
RE: German military history help - 12/23/2007 7:21:27 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: markpack

Hope it's ok to post this query as this forum seems to cover quite a variety of topics - and I'm sure there's the expertise out there which I'm after!

My grandfather served in the German army in the Second World War, and I've recently got a couple of photos of him in military uniform. I'd like to find out more about his military career, and I guess that an expert can probably tell some things from the photos, such as the unit he might have been in?

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to find this sort of expertise. Many thanks.

You might try some books on uniforms, I'm sure there are some telling details in those photos. Usually the books can show several types of uniforms and details of unit types and designations.

(in reply to markpack)
Post #: 4
RE: German military history help - 12/23/2007 11:36:19 PM   
stevemk1a

Funnily and coincidentally enough, I've been trying to find out some info on my own grandfather during WWII. Try this link:

http://www.dd-wast.de/

Good luck in your search!

< Message edited by willy -- 12/24/2007 3:17:16 AM >

"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!"
-Reginald Mitchell upon being told of the Air Ministry decision to call his new fighter aircraft the Spitfire.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: German military history help - 12/24/2007 12:45:31 AM   
Widell

quote:

These two sites have forums which may be useful:
Feldgrau.com
Axis History Factbook

Good Luck in your search!

(in reply to markpack)
Post #: 6
RE: German military history help - 12/24/2007 6:02:30 PM   
madorosh

quote:

A word of caution in addition to the other advice; very few German military units wore distinctive insignia, particularly once the war started. Even before the war, unit identification was restricted in the majority of cases to numbers and cyphers on the shoulder straps, as well as the colour of the piping (not distinguishable in black and white photographs usually), and in prewar photos the colour of the bayonet knot indicated the company within a battalion.

(in reply to markpack)
Post #: 7
RE: German military history help - 12/28/2007 5:57:29 PM   
markpack

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions; there are lots of leads there for me to try. I appreciate you all taking the time,

Mark

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 8
RE: German military history help - 12/28/2007 11:39:51 PM   
hueglin

Let us know how your search fares.

(in reply to markpack)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> German military history help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI