Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Adm Furashita Hypo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Adm Furashita Hypo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Adm Furashita Hypo - 12/4/2007 12:45:51 PM   
SargeantTex

Here is a hypothetical I came up with Sept 1939 seeing germanys war actions and knowing the Japanese are not far behind the US navy begins a modernization program and finally decide to take those 8" turrets off the Lexingtons.

Heres the question What would you do with the turrets?

I would take the old battleships Wisconsin and Utah and mount them on those as shore bombardment ships, or use them as CD guns at Oahu Midway and wake.
Post #: 1
RE: Adm Furashita Hypo - 12/4/2007 12:47:49 PM   
SargeantTex

sorry about the mistake I meant Wyoming

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 2
RE: Adm Furashita Hypo - 12/4/2007 2:05:11 PM   
wild_Willie2

In 1939 there was no NEED for those BIG coastal bombardment ships which you discribe. This role was already fullfilled by simple and cheap GUNBOATS that could simple steam up a river to bombard some backward inner country city.

The British had their pre war Erubis and Terror monitors which could crawl to places to bombard (these ships where SLOW and highly vurnerable with their box shaped hulls). In the pacific these ships where totally inpractible as the distances there where so big. If you really wanted to have bombardment ships, it would have been cheaper and more practicle to keep those old BB's in commision as bombardment ships....

Creating permanent gun emplacements, is COSTLY. It does not mean "just" putting a turret somewhere, but you will also have to build armored power plants and ammo storage for those turrets. These fortifications will also have to be staffed and maintained, costing even MORE.

Permant coastal defense fortifications where only feasible in high risk and high value places like Manilla, Pearl, Singapore etz. Wake (like Guadacanall) was certainly NOT high value in 1939.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 3
RE: Adm Furashita Hypo - 12/4/2007 5:14:02 PM   
Panther Bait

There were plans at Pearl Harbor to use some of the turrets from the sunk battleships as CD gun emplacements around Oahu, but I am not sure that many, if any, actually got fully installed.  I was out on Oahu in September for work, and the site I was at had an old CD bunker next door that was supposed to get a turret from the Arizona.  The below ground bunker is there, but I don't think the guns were ever installed, as the war moved away from Pearl, and the the need for CDs at Pearl diminished.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Adm Furashita Hypo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI