Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vista issue with Matrix's Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vista issue with Matrix's Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 11:59:02 AM   
Adam Parker

Thought I'd post an observation about running my Matrix titles under Vista.

1st up - all appear to load, run and update fine.

However, there is an issue in running short cuts to these games.

Vista offers a pre-installed "Games" link on its new look Start Menu area. It sits on the right hand side of the area itself. It is designed to automatically be a "Home" for shortcuts to games and when clicked, opens up as such.

Those games smart enough automatically install short cuts there. For most other titles, Vista Help instructs the user to simply drag the .exe icon of the game into this shortcut screen.

However, with Matrix's games there is no such .exe readily available to drag. What I've had to do is to create a shortcut to the "Autorun" icon for each game, rename it eg: Forge of Freedom, drag that over to the Games screen, right click the icon, click edit and then click change icon to give it the appearance of the game it relates too, rather than just leaving it as an ugly "Autorun" icon.

FYI to Matrix if unaware but this is really a lot of unecessary work gamers need to go through to use this new Vista housekeeping feature - it's a good feature too.

Side issue - it'd be great if Matrix could also drop the need to input serial numbers for its patches - but that's a Matrix-wide issue, not just Vista
Post #: 1
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 12:32:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Side issue - it'd be great if Matrix could also drop the need to input serial numbers for its patches - but that's a Matrix-wide issue, not just Vista

I couldn't agree with you here, Adam.

Personally, I think Matrix anti-piracy policy is probably the leanest out there and is the least infringing on my time. Everyone agrees that developers should be allowed to protect their investment. Some take it to extreme (limited installs, limited activations, securom with extensive loading times), Starforce)...personally, having to put the serial number in for a patch is not a problem for me if it allows Matrix some security on their investment.

Also, it's a "friendly" serial number entry...you can copy and paste it...not like EA games (as an example) where you have to enter 4 characters at a time...

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 12:39:07 PM   
Adam Parker

We use the serial to load the game.

Why need it again for each and every patch? AGEOD doesn't require this extra effort?

This is OT though - if you want to continue on a new thread I'll join ya

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 2:08:17 PM   
Hertston

Disagree on the patches; it's a minimal effort to type it in again and perhaps the least we can do considering Matrix spare us all the online registration and 'two strikes and you are out' crap, and similar. I assume that should any serials get into widespread circulation in a torrent or similar they are disabled in the next patch?

Post #: 4
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 2:12:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

It's not really off topic Adam. You mentioned it in your post. I simply retorted.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 2:58:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
Those games smart enough automatically install short cuts there. For most other titles, Vista Help instructs the user to simply drag the .exe icon of the game into this shortcut screen.

However, with Matrix's games there is no such .exe readily available to drag. What I've had to do is to create a shortcut to the "Autorun" icon for each game, rename it eg: Forge of Freedom, drag that over to the Games screen, right click the icon, click edit and then click change icon to give it the appearance of the game it relates too, rather than just leaving it as an ugly "Autorun" icon.

We'll see if we can automatically install shortcuts there in the future, but keep in mind most of our games were made before Vista was released so there would be no way they'd know to do it automatically. I don't entirely understand about there being no .exe icon to drag. Each of our games by default comes with a "Quick Start" icon in the Start Menu folder that links directly to the executable. Only the desktop icon links to the game menu, which is frankly a convenience feature for gamers since that includes all the relevant game links without having to go to the start menu group.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 4:03:21 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Disagree on the patches; it's a minimal effort to type it in again and perhaps the least we can do considering Matrix spare us all the online registration and 'two strikes and you are out' crap, and similar. I assume that should any serials get into widespread circulation in a torrent or similar they are disabled in the next patch?

Heartily disagree as well. I keep the whole set of numbers in a Word file and simply copy and paste them when needed. Takes two or three extra keystrokes.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 8:46:22 PM   
Veldor

I agree with the Vista comment.

As for the serial numbers for patches personally I'd be even more restrictive than Matrix currently is. I'd force ALL serial numbers to be registered in the members club in order to download ANY patch in the first place.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 8:59:32 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I second this; it really is not much trouble at all. I actually don't even type the serial number. Call me lazy if you must, but I just copy and paste. Keeping all serials #'s in the same folder makes this a breeze.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/25/2007 10:44:24 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I don't entirely understand about there being no .exe icon to drag. Each of our games by default comes with a "Quick Start" icon in the Start Menu folder that links directly to the executable. Only the desktop icon links to the game menu, which is frankly a convenience feature for gamers since that includes all the relevant game links without having to go to the start menu group.

I think the menu system you use for your games is actually a nice touch too Erik. Actually I find it more stable than just clicking on the other game link myself, as when that automatically resizes the screen and hangs in some games, you can't really tell if something good is actually happening.

On reflection I think this shortcut-rename-drag procedure will affect HPS games as well. They call their .exe's just "Main".

As for the serial number-patch side issue I raised, I guess I'm a lone reed here. One can really feel it re-loading games to a brand new system though.

Thanks for accepting the feedback Erik. That was really the point of the post as I believe you have quite a few new releases in the wind and you may be able to tweak them.

Cheers,
Adam.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Vista issue with Matrix's Games - 11/26/2007 2:25:56 AM   
TonyE

The serial number entry on patches is annoying, but I prefer it to activation systems.  Why I think it is good for patches is that some games, including HCE that I work on, can be cobbled together from patches, you may not get the whole game but collect enough patches and you can play at least part of the game.  The Serial Number entry then just gives a little bit more security, even if the SN is needed to play in the end.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vista issue with Matrix's Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI