Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

White Christmas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> White Christmas Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
White Christmas - 11/23/2007 1:48:26 PM   
JudgeDredd

I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.

I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).

There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 2:56:21 PM   
mack2

I doubt anywhere in Australia gets snow at Christmas.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 2:58:02 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall

I seem to remember that for most of the past few years in the UK we've had a Wet Christmas

< Message edited by Dixie -- 11/23/2007 2:59:34 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 3:21:23 PM   
captskillet

Fat chance here in Louisiana Judge........we get snow from time to time but never in my almost 52 years have I seen it when the Fatman & Rudolph show up....................from around Missouri on North has a good chance every year.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 4
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 3:27:28 PM   
sprior

Happens here in Chicago quite regularly (at least in the 7 years I've been here).

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 5
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 5:08:57 PM   
PunkReaper

That's why the song says "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and not "I'm having a white Christmas". Must have been written in the North West of England..

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 5:45:58 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

I doubt anywhere in Australia gets snow at Christmas.

Apparently it has happened here in Hobart. Because we're at the southern-most point in Australia (remember things are upside-down here northern-hemisphere folk ) and surrounded by ocean which causes a lag to all seasons, consistently warm weather doesn't really start here until about mid December. When a dirty great cold front comes out of the Southern Ocean the weather can turn nasty quickly. I'm told it has snowed here on Christmas day.

A couple of years ago I met a 2 young, female European backpackers whilst camping on the East Coast. They stayed with me in Hobart for a while in late January before leaving to tackle the 5 day overland track at Cradle Mountain. Lovely girls...very enthusiastic... Anyway, I insisted that they buy thermal underwear before they left. They laughed at me, as it was pretty hot but I said to them, "Believe me, the weather can change fast up there. Don't eff with the Tasmanian mountains. Every year they kill people who underestimate them." Well... did it ever! A massive cold front came through on their first day, bringing gale force winds and snow. They got lost and were lucky they were found by experienced bushwalkers who guided them to safety.

Having said that, it's going to be 25 Celsius today with blazing sunshine. We also get an Indian summer that stretches on well into April. Last year we had a 37 degree day (100F) in October with dozens of houses in Hobart destroyed by bushfire. 2 days later I looked out my window and it was snowing.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 7
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 6:22:05 PM   
mack2

I knew I should have specified "Mainland Australia".

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 8
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 8:22:26 PM   
Zap

Here, the mountains of southern california, we can be assured of snow. We just can't be guaranteed it will fall on Christmas. Many, up here, wish they could place an order to have it snow on Christmas Eve for the reason you stated, Judge.

If you miss the snow. Come to the Matrix forum, on Christmas Day. I see that Matrix has the snow falling

< Message edited by Zap -- 11/23/2007 9:01:08 PM >

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 9
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 9:10:16 PM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Happens here in Chicago quite regularly (at least in the 7 years I've been here).

In Chicago, We almost even had snow for Thanksgiving!!

I've lived here all my life and in a town that Hollywood loves to use for christmas movies (Everything from Home Alone onwards) I'd really say that we don't normally actually have a White Christmas.

We usually get some sometime before christmas, that then melts entirely before Christmas.. And then it snows a lot in late January through sometime in March which are actually the true winter months many places.

If I had to guess Id say its been a white christmas 2-3 times in the last 7 years only (I could be wrong). Which is well above average here. But, so far as I've heard, Chicago is still the best chance for it of any "Normal Place". I've even heard of people moving here who love Christmas and its certainly an area that borders on going overboard on the whole holiday thing. People do believe what they see in movies!!

Home Decorations start popping up November 1st and stores around here start decorating in July :)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 10
RE: White Christmas - 11/23/2007 11:11:54 PM   
Rainbow7

We had two days of major snow fall this week.  Seem all I've been doing is shovelling the driveway.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 11
RE: White Christmas - 11/24/2007 11:29:02 AM   
Arctic Blast

Typically not much of an issue in Alberta. Hell, we're expecting a few centimeters in 2 days.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 12
RE: White Christmas - 11/24/2007 10:52:05 PM   
morvwilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

I seem to remember that for most of the past few years in the UK we've had a Wet Christmas

What?!
Rain in England!?
Nyah!
Never happen!
It's all in your head!

It's all propaganda!

No snow here in California, except in the mountains.

Merry Christmas to ya!

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 13
RE: White Christmas - 11/24/2007 11:28:59 PM   
hueglin

We have snow on the ground right now. It's anyone's guess if it will still be here at Christmas. We're about 50/50 on White Christmases.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: White Christmas - 11/25/2007 12:45:58 AM   
LarryP

quote:

In Carson City Nevada we get snow at Christmas about 40% of the time. It almost always snows shortly after though. We are at 4700 feet.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: White Christmas - 11/25/2007 12:47:41 AM   
KG Erwin

Here in WV, snow on Christmas is relatively rare. We don't usually get any major accumulations until January-February.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 8:14:29 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Just received 15cm 3 days ago, stuff was mixed with rain and sleet...Let the car-sliding season begin.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 8:54:09 AM   
stevemk1a

Just got 10cm or so of snow, temp is -8c. Forecast is calling for more snow and lows of -20c predicted for next week. It gets dark at about 4:00pm or so this time of year too. Time of year to either buy more wargames, or a new snowmobile ...

"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!"
-Reginald Mitchell upon being told of the Air Ministry decision to call his new fighter aircraft the Spitfire.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 18
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 10:14:39 AM   
Ursa MAior

Neither here in Eastern-Central Europe. Last white christmas was like 10 yrs ago. Damned global warming. I even forgot how to iceskate.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 19
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 11:10:43 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Typically not much of an issue in Alberta. Hell, we're expecting a few centimeters in 2 days.

I was in Alberta...Wainwright to be exact. Had some great nights out in Edmonton and, in particular, the Robin Hood bar in Edmonton Mall.

I love your country

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 20
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 12:12:13 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

I was in Alberta...Wainwright to be exact. Had some great nights out in Edmonton and, in particular, the Robin Hood bar in Edmonton Mall.

I love your country

Aaaah, the lovely town if Wainwright. I've been there a few times...it's where my brother in law comes from. Utterly dull town.

Anyway, be glad you aren't here NOW. Aaah, -30 Celsius wind chill, and blowing snow that's dtarting to drift, and will soon be compressed on roads, then polished by the wind in to glare ice. Woohoo!

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 12:25:39 PM   
JudgeDredd

Yeah. There wasn't a lot going on there.

But Edmonton was beautiful.

I was there in October - December 1989. Loved every minute of it. Was well looked after and the locals were very nice. I remember well the wind chill and snow...didn't put me off the place one bit!

I listen to a music station I found which is located in Edmonton called The Lynx and I always have the weather forecast on my Vista machine for Edmonton. I just love it.

And I really, really wish your Government would just open up there arms and let me in...I would be there in a shot.

Beautiful country...snow and wind chill!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 22
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 3:42:22 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Why, you got a record or something? ( lol, just kidding, no answer required)
Was in Wainwright years ago. For a kid from the East ( Quebec, that is) that was a culture shock. Priries, and more prairies...but the locals are nice
BTW, we're facing a balmy 4 Celsius today, with snow and _ something predicted for tomorrow...Thank you Global Warming.
quote:

Yeah. There wasn't a lot going on there.

But Edmonton was beautiful.

I was there in October - December 1989. Loved every minute of it. Was well looked after and the locals were very nice. I remember well the wind chill and snow...didn't put me off the place one bit!

I listen to a music station I found which is located in Edmonton called The Lynx and I always have the weather forecast on my Vista machine for Edmonton. I just love it.

And I really, really wish your Government would just open up there arms and let me in...I would be there in a shot.

Beautiful country...snow and wind chill!

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 4:11:01 PM   
HansBolter

Is that the white powdery stuff that covers everything?

We've only gotten that twice here in paradise since my family moved us here in 1961.

It "snowed" when I was in first grade in 1963 and they let us out of class to go play in it. It melted when it hit the ground.

In 1976 it snowed as far south as the Bahamas. I was in colege in Gainseville, Florida where it fell heavily enought to collect on the cars and we had snow ball fights.

Most Christmas seasons here are in the 80-85 degree range. The high for today is in the low 80's.

Shorts and Hawian shirts are the traditional Christmas dress in Florida.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 11/26/2007 4:12:46 PM >

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 24
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 4:47:42 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

We do get it here regularly. In fact we are one of the 4 locations on the planet that receives "Lake Effect" snow, which happens when it's cold enough for snow but the lake to the North North-West is not yet frozen. The air currents then pick up the lake & dump it on us to test our snow-throwers. Fortunately we live somewhat west of Buffalo NY which is in the mouth of the shotgun. I *am* hoping it will start getting somewhat cold here. Currently @ 0 - 8 c. Snow would be better than the sleet/rain mix we are currently getting. My fellow drivers seem have forgotten how to drive in inclement weather so I guess I should ship them down to HansBolter. They tell me it will be snowing tonight but none of the weather guessers is ready to commit to a White Christmas here yet. Smart Folk Never commit to weather you can't see out the window here on the North Coast.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 5:15:42 PM   
Yogi the Great

Live in southern Wisconsin - we have snow more often then not for Christmas

Nothern Wisconsin will almost always have a White Christmas.

(in reply to BlindOldUmp)
Post #: 26
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 5:23:45 PM   
LarryP

quote:

Which flavor of music do you choose? I was just there and chose the first option, the Classics. Good stereo sound!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 27
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 5:59:39 PM   
Marc von Martial

It usually gets a tad warmer here around Christmas here in the western part of Germany, so it's also a wet one normally. It gets "really" cold in January and February, then we have good chances for snow.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 28
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 6:34:05 PM   
chief

You people use too many four letter words, ie: COLD, SNOW, WIND, etc., in this forum. I may have to get the monitors on your case.  

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 29
RE: White Christmas - 11/26/2007 6:53:00 PM   
freeboy

Snow? in Colorado, we import all our snow, never snows here, so go away! lol

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> White Christmas Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI