Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

W o T --Beer!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> W o T --Beer! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 5:23:30 PM   
AW1Steve

Yesterday , the thread , when not being high-jacked in a Thread/Anti-thread flame war , was dominated in a battle royal over one of the most importan of man's creatitions--BEER. Reviewing the battle , I noticed a very strange thing--non-Europeans (Americans) were debating the virtue of Europe's best brew. The British , who were present in the forum , but absent in the thread, declined to rumble. The Germans , and many other nationalities, including Danes , residents of the Balkan area , and in fact pretty much the rest of the world did not chime in. Further complicating the weirdness , only two of the Americans (yours truly and a certain way-ward Texan) made any attempt to defend or even mention the home town micro-brews.

Is this a sign of a lack of Beer intrest? Do we not care about our home town and national brews? I think we need to discourse and debate that most important adjunct to our gaming--BEER! And careful not to spill any on the keys!

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 11/16/2007 5:49:32 PM >

VP-92 sig banner
Post #: 1
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 5:45:20 PM   
Dino

Yeah...we were sipping our favorite and enjoying your confusion.

In fact, you'll find that this subject is not WoT at all...it has been debated here only second to Zero vs Wildcat...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 5:47:44 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dino

Yeah...we were sipping our favorite and enjoying your confusion.

In fact, you'll find that this subject is not WoT at all...it has been debated here only second to Zero vs Wildcat...

OK-- so what's your favorite--beer I mean , not Zero or Wildcat ?

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 3
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 6:07:21 PM   
Dino

I mainly drink the local stuff, which is fairly good but much cheaper than some hi quality imports...The best beer I remember tasting was Carlsberg.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 6:10:09 PM   
ny59giants

I drink some Samuel Adams for American beer and I have always like Bass Ale for my European beer. In the 80's, I would not drink an American beer (no after taste). Now with all the micro-breweries, they have a lot better selection. One of these days, I will take vacation in October and go to the beer conference in Denver. There was a TV show on it (history channel I think) and it took one man almost 10 years to taste every beer available.

What about reports in Germany over the rising price of beer as ingredients are being used for bio-fuel??

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 6:14:39 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I drink some Samuel Adams for American beer and I have always like Bass Ale for my European beer. In the 80's, I would not drink an American beer (no after taste). Now with all the micro-breweries, they have a lot better selection. One of these days, I will take vacation in October and go to the beer conference in Denver. There was a TV show on it (history channel I think) and it took one man almost 10 years to taste every beer available.

What about reports in Germany over the rising price of beer as ingredients are being used for bio-fuel??

Beer as bio-fuel!!! The humanity!! That's alcohol abuse. BTW , where in Vermont are you from (or living rather)? I have family from the Northeast Kingdom.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 6
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 6:19:56 PM   
ny59giants

Family is from Burlington. I'm now a transplant in the South for 15 years. Winters in Vermont are too long and Summers in SC amd/or Ga are too long and hot. I have a pretty good balance here. I wish we got a little more snow, as I want a true "snow day" rather than everything closed with less than 1 inch.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 6:24:09 PM   
AW1Steve

I see that we have been moved. Did the moderator's not like us keeping this among WITP?

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 8
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 9:56:31 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Lately, I've been on Stella. It's picking up popularity here in San Diego.

Local stuff, that would be Carl Strauss - Red Trolley Ale.

English stuff, I always liked most hand pulled ales, John Smiths was a good one but hard to find. We get Boddy's here both in cask and widget cans and it's pretty darn good. They seem to have sorted out the issues with the move.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/16/2007 10:07:46 PM   
PunkReaper

Some great real ales over here in England....with great names such as Old Peculier, or Brimstage Trappers Hat etc... And don't forget the Irish Nectar ... Guiness

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 10
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 1:04:58 AM   
keeferon01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

English stuff, I always liked most hand pulled ales, John Smiths was a good one but hard to find. We get Boddy's here both in cask and widget cans and it's pretty darn good. They seem to have sorted out the issues with the move.

your a brave man drinking stella , I used to drink that on tap when I lived in London , man I used to get assholed

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 11
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 1:46:10 AM   
KG Erwin

As beer IS an adjunct to our gaming, I'd recently heard on public radio that the price of hops may soon be rising. This won't affect the bigtime brewers, but could result in higher prices for the products of many microbreweries.

I like a variety of beers, but I have developed a taste for Michelob Amber Bock. It's a dark lager, and not prohibitively expensive. In my area, it's $4.50 for a 6-pack.

Specialty beers don't really appeal to me. Most of them are too sweet to suit my taste.

I like Guinness Stout, but it's nearly $9 for a 6-pack. For that, I can get a 12-pack of Bud Light.

So, I suppose my taste in beer is somewhat pedestrian, but with a leaning towards dark bitters.

Mmmm...Gunny getting thirsty now.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 12
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 4:51:31 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron James

quote:

your a brave man drinking stella , I used to drink that on tap when I lived in London , man I used to get assholed

Not sure what that means Ron ? Is that loosely related to the American phrase "sh1tfaced" ?

One good thing about Stella is that I don't get nearly such bad hangovers. After about 8 or them I've had enough and I don't feel nearly so bad the next morning.

(in reply to keeferon01)
Post #: 13
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 5:03:15 AM   
sprior

Here in Chicago we're lucky enough to have Goose Island which brews a few good beers. My favourite beers from home were 9are) Boddies and Marston's Pedigree. Dartford Wobbler was a nice beer I came across too, Down in Kent Shepherd Neame has a nice pint called Spitfire. here's one of their ads:

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 14
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 5:17:14 AM   
KG Erwin

No, sprior, that was a joke, wasn't it? "The Bottle of Britain"? You ARE kidding, aren't you?

PS OMG. He's NOT kidding. Looky here: http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/cartoons.htm

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/17/2007 5:20:25 AM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 15
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 5:29:44 AM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

No, sprior, that was a joke, wasn't it? "The Bottle of Britain"? You ARE kidding, aren't you?

PS OMG. He's NOT kidding. Looky here: http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/cartoons.htm

I would never kid over something as serious as beer.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/17/2007 5:37:36 AM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

And then there's this (and yes it's a beer ad but was banned by the advertising standards agency)

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 2:57:58 AM   
keeferon01

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not sure what that means Ron ? Is that loosely related to the American phrase "sh1tfaced" ?

One good thing about Stella is that I don't get nearly such bad hangovers. After about 8 or them I've had enough and I don't feel nearly so bad the next morning.

oh yes do excuse my cockney banter, and yes I think sh@tfaced sums it up quite nicely wow after about 8 I bow to your beer drinking expertise is that pints though

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 18
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 6:39:21 AM   
sprior

hey Ron, we're nearl neighbours! Notts lad here.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to keeferon01)
Post #: 19
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 7:47:46 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

oh yes do excuse my cockney banter, and yes I think sh@tfaced sums it up quite nicely wow after about 8 I bow to your beer drinking expertise is that pints though

Oh no, not Imperial pints, just these little 11 -odd oz. bottles we get over here. 8 Pints would be a feat indeed.

(in reply to keeferon01)
Post #: 20
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 9:23:55 PM   
keeferon01

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

hey Ron, we're nearl neighbours! Notts lad here.

hello my friend , I remember we nearly got a pbem of WITP going once, how is all in the windy city

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 21
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 9:27:45 PM   
sprior

40F and cloudy. Otherwise a lazy Sunday watching james Bond on the telly. And a bottle of Goose Island beer and Shepherds Pie.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to keeferon01)
Post #: 22
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 9:43:38 PM   
keeferon01

you can take the Englishman out of England and all that extra stuff LOL , but my wife is cooking me a Shepard's pie too

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/18/2007 9:51:24 PM   
sprior

My wife is American and she doesn't like cooking so I have to do the Shepherd's Pie, Sunday Roast, Spag Bol, etc. The Mrs also enjoys a good curry now, we have a favourite curry house in Naperville we go to and we've just started using Loyd Grossman's curry from Meijer too.

Other than that, what you said. I have an English mate in Bolingbroke who's the same. Enjoy cricket, rugby and/or football?

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to keeferon01)
Post #: 24
RE: W o T --Beer! - 11/22/2007 5:24:09 PM   
105mm Howitzer

In Quebec, beer isn't "brewed" or "crafted" or "aged" or anything like that. WE prefer out malts RAW. Real RAW, like for instance, our Maudite ( damned) brand, 8%, not recommended to be drank under the hot sun ( you'll know then why it's called Damned) or perhaps our Fin du Monde, which packs 9% and make you realize the end is near. On the "light" side, our 6 and 7% Boreale, Tremblays, are great for that morning get-up and go shot. Then we have the rest. ( carlsberg, Stella, Buds, etc...) Incidentally, I've yet to find a sweet beer in our micro-breweries.
( although, full credit to that British brewery for originality; The Bottle of Britain...priceless)

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> W o T --Beer! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote