Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modular editing /masterfiles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Modular editing /masterfiles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modular editing /masterfiles - 11/15/2007 2:36:02 PM   
PDiFolco

I've tried to work on a couple mods :
- Adding a couple new SFtypes - SP Arty, Assault Guns..
- Using a graphics mod (Rick69 sent me a version of its mod)
In each case I just wanted to change some and add some things, but use most of the standard masterfile untouched
And each time I've had problems doing something reliable, because either you directly change the masterfile - then you have a "concurrent" version of the standard game's one, that won't be updated when Vic makes patches- or you have to make a scenario, but then nothing is reusable...

What I think would be a good solution would be to be able to load modular parts of a masterfile : currently you can switch on/off the loading of Peoples, but that's all.
If the same option was possible for SFTypes, Land, etc... then it would be relatively easy to maintain mods that change only one or couple game objects categories (ie terrain, loctypes,...).
A second requirement would be that masterfile loading be only "up to" what is in : if for example the masterfile has SFTypes 1 to 99, and I make a SFType100, it should be kept.
Third, as already requested, things in a pt2 file should be tagged as copied from masterfile or locally modified, with scenario changes not overriden when reloading a masterfile.
The tag should be editable to put the item back to "standard" if needed.

Another way to go may be to allow import/export of XML (or whatever format) files that will also clearly help when trying to change for example att/def modifiers tables.
At least a big dump of a pt2 file would be useful to check things without opening umpteenth windows.

I hope this makes sense and would eventually be possible in an upcoming patch ...
Post #: 1
RE: Modular editing /masterfiles - 11/15/2007 7:52:35 PM   
rickier65

From what I've seen in the masterfile, and in the editor, there is a lot A LOT of interelated elements. While I'm sure Vic could sort through it all and make it modular, the potential for problems would seem to be pretty large (risk vs return).

If things develop as they appear to doing with the gaming commnuity, it looks like there will be a lot of community support for this game. We've already had some tutorials from Vic, as well as from TWeber, and some documentation aids from GJK. The game is only couple of weeks old -- so I'm hoping this means we'll see a lot more along the lines of design guides, etc. and not just from the developer.

I really like the idea of getting a xml dump that would be very nice for studying design techniques. Of course it might also be used for those wanting to get a competitive edge. Now I'm rambling.

The editor itself is a lot more complex that I first though. I'm still trying to get my head around it, simply by poking at different parts. I've just about decided to make a structural diagram to see if that helps.

I'm all for making the change you suggest PD, but I'd recommend doing it only after lots of testing (and then some more testing).

Rick

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 2
RE: Modular editing /masterfiles - 11/16/2007 11:43:32 AM   
NickGen

Hey pdiFolco....
My pseudo is not rick69 but nick69 ... lol

Nick

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 3
RE: Modular editing /masterfiles - 11/16/2007 12:24:33 PM   
PDiFolco

Oops apologies Nick69  !

(in reply to NickGen)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Modular editing /masterfiles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI