Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

snobbie ? lol

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> snobbie ? lol Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 9:28:53 AM   
freeboy

ok, I always considered 1 person shooters kiddie games, and after blitkrieg and some other click fest non shooter games I really have steared clear of the non grog stuff!

I am getting a nice , fast video card that will do crysis etc..
I love MTW2, and air and tank sims.

So, lets assume I have most of whats out there for those,
Here is my ?:

Is there a GREAT WW1 or WW2 air combat sim that runs at high resolutions 1600x 1200 or higher?
Is there replay-ability in the cod type games? I know there are so many now.. thinking mostly ww2, but there also was Ghost recon and some others...
Let me know wha "floats your boat" and I will probably get one for the visual stim ride factor!
Post #: 1
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 9:32:34 AM   
Zakhal

WW2OL - me and many in my squad have played it since 2001. Many of them fly planes. And yes there are higher resos and support for widescreen too. It has great tank sim too.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 10:18:57 AM   
freeboy

Finnland.. wow, thanks for the input!
Any fps fans.. I liked Aces 3 and ss3, is SS4 any good?

? 10 years or more there was alot of good at the time ww1 sims, Red baron, etc

Why with allthe new tech are not seeing the equivalent of IL-2? for WW1?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 3
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 10:26:47 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

WW2OL - me and many in my squad have played it since 2001. Many of them fly planes. And yes there are higher resos and support for widescreen too. It has great tank sim too.

Monthly subscription fee...pfft. Not for this Scot

TBH, there isn't a lot of replayability in the COD games, unless you enjoy online play. They are great, stimulating rides (especially the latest) but the same spawn point for enemies kills the replayability. If they had random spawns, then definitely.

As it is, I've got about 12 hours of single player gaming from COD4 and I'm part way through my second campaign. Although I pretty much know where the enemy are coming from, I'm playing it on the second from hardest difficulty level and you die quicker and there are more enemy (and they're more accurate) I think....so replayability for this game is going to be probably 3x the single player campaign and then online...that's about 20-30 hours of single player gaming which isn't that bad. Of course if you start at the hardest level, you'll probably get about 10-15 hours (if you manage to complete it!).

But it is what it is. The graphics are astounding. The missions are excellent. The voice acting is spot on and varied. The story is believable and draws you in. Crouching behind a wall while OpFor fire is coming in all directions and seeing one of your buddies go down does have meaning. Of course, your never left on your own

It's a great ride, and multiplayer is fun too.

I tried WW2OL (WW2 Online) a while back and I wasn't impressed with the graphics, I wasn't impressed with the empty servers and I wasn't impressed with being dumped x0 miles behind enemy lines only to eventually make my way to the front and be put down by a sniper! Of course, as part of a clan, I'm sure playing it is fun. Like most MP games, clans are the way to get proper enjoyment out of them. Whether the graphics are better I don't know.

WWI flight sims are a no-no as far as I am aware. There is a game in development called Knights of the Sky I think. Battle of Britain Wings of Victory looks great and puts you right in the ehat of battle. Pretty authentic.

For my money if you want visual stim ride factor you will not go wrong with COD4

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 11/15/2007 10:28:01 AM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 4
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 1:02:27 PM   
Kuokkanen

I like FPS games: they are usually (not always) fun as long as it lasts. Replayability of single player, off-line play is generally poor, but there are some with few games. Game's life can be enhanced with single player missions and mods, but majority of mods and maps are for multiplayer gaming. You might want check it out before buying the game. For almost all FPS games one thing is common: player kills more enemies than all teammates together (if there are any) and generally keeps game going.

Operation: Flashpoint is exception in many ways, and at first player gets often killed before even seeing enemy. At first that game seems pretty realistic, but then comes mission where player almost alone ambushes tanks with mines and LAW...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 5:07:34 PM   
freeboy

Ya, these comments remind me of why I do not fps! once asnob etc! So, perhaps some sims then?
Will be looking at some ofthe newer stuff, as well as some of my old goodies thanks all!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 6:00:45 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Deep pockets and short arms eh?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 6:22:38 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

freeboy: JudgeDredd Finnland.. wow, thanks for the input!

No problem. Youre welcome!

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I tried WW2OL (WW2 Online) a while back and I wasn't impressed with the graphics, I wasn't impressed with the empty servers and I wasn't impressed with being dumped x0 miles behind enemy lines only to eventually make my way to the front and be put down by a sniper! Of course, as part of a clan, I'm sure playing it is fun. Like most MP games, clans are the way to get proper enjoyment out of them. Whether the graphics are better I don't know.

How while back is that - in the 60s? WW2OL has had depot spawning for years now - you can spawn right into enemy town - possibly right into combat. Also they have created mobile spawning - you can take a truck and drive it anywhere and deploy it next to battle - infantry can then spawn from there right into battle.

Recent addition of tables of organisation and equipment has also concentrated players so battles have bigger amount of players. Ive seen battles with massive piles of corpses and loads of infantry and ground equipment.

Graphics has also developed - the game uses speedtree (same as in oblivion) and lots of stuff has been redone from weapons to buildings.

And no you dont have to be in "clan" to play. Ive played it mostly lonewulf for years now even though Im in a squad. Allthough I have commanded battles in som cases. You can give orders to other players and draw plans to the map for them to see.

The game got a mortar recently and you can use the smoke like in steel panthers to blind enemy guns/tanks and possibly force them to change positions. The HE is small but the game also has mobile resupply so you have lots of ammo and its still plenty effective against guns like ATG/AA.

The subscription goes for further development of the game. Allthough as a finn its almost free considering the drop of dollar value. I can pay the monthly sub with somthing like 15min work.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 7:02:57 PM   
ravinhood

My money still goes to BF1942 no monthly fee and still a ton of people that play it online. Even the solo play is still fun because it's not canned or scripted solo play. It's about the most open ended though small area FPSer out there. I recently bought the Anthology for $2.98 and that's plenty of FPSer gaming for me. I really want a good scary stuff jumps out and scares the crap outta you FPSer though. I've played the DOOMS and HALF LIFES but those aren't really scary enough. I want stuff to jump out and tear my body parts off and I have to try to survive with one arm or one leg or an eye missing or half my face chewed off...stuff like that. ;) I remember a long time ago there was a game sorta like that. You could chop one of the mobs arms or legs off then pick it up and use it on them like a weapon. Think it was called Sword & Somthing, but, darn if I can remember the name. Darn good beatemup with swords and axes and arms and legs and chairs and bowls and just about anything you could get your hands on. Anyone remember the title of that game?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 9
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 7:14:07 PM   
Zakhal

BF1942 was loads of fun - at first. But it starts to repeat itself sooner or later. Definetly worth the price though if you havent played it before. Another good is wolfenstein: enemy territory - its totally free even.

If you want good graphically intensive game load team fortress 2 from steam with credit card. Ive played it for som 50 hours now. CoD4 is sayd to have good multiplayer too but I havent tried it yet. Gears of war has great co-op. Then theres crysis with great soloplay - dunno about multi. All have great graphics.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 11/15/2007 7:26:08 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/15/2007 11:34:44 PM   
Joram

Zakhal, weren't you a C-in-C at one point.  I certainly remember your name but not sure from where. 

WW2OL is a good game.  Not great, but good.  You have to have a lot of patience though to get the most out of it.  I fondly remember forming columns of tanks but it takes an hour or two to do it right and then at least 15 mins of travel (depots only work for infantry) and then you really have a blast.  Or not as sometimes you did all that work and the town was barely defended lol.  Anyway, I was there at launch too but after a few years I finally gave it up.  It is so far superior from it's launch it is pretty much a different game but being a grognard, I didn't like the non-historicity of the game even if everything was modelled in amazing detail.  They usually have free trials from time to time so you should check it out and see for yourself.

I've heard, but never played the IL-2 series was excellent too.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/16/2007 2:43:10 AM   
ravinhood

I think that game I was trying to remember was "DIE BY THE SWORD" anyone remember that one?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: snobbie ? lol - 11/16/2007 10:11:02 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I think that game I was trying to remember was "DIE BY THE SWORD" anyone remember that one?

Oh yeah, I had the demo. The mouse control was completely un-intuitive. I really liked the overall concept. But the mouse control was so whacky that I could not enjoy playing it.

Did you master the mouse control ? There was something written somewhere in the readme about a special controller that worked really well, but I dumped the game before getting into that.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> snobbie ? lol Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote